• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

When Jesus rebuked Peter for drawing his sword he was very clear.

Mat 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

Jesus' name means Jehovah/Yahweh is salvation.  

But which of us has faith so great as his?  Would I condemn a man who cannot call on the father and have him give 12 legions of angels to deliver them from peril?  Nope! Condemn a man for using deadly force to protect his own?  Nope!

How cool would it be though to have mighty God act on your behalf bearing witness of you?

But lets be real here.  The sky has never opened up for me nor a voice from heaven declared me to be one of the sons of God as of today.  I have seen mighty works of God bearing witness of me and delivering me from evil works and certain death but no witness as to my personal standing in sonship.  The bible says I am a son but that comes from my interpretaion of those words and not an independent act of God as witness.  No burning bush.

May God increase our faith and bear witness of that faith as we grow in his grace toward his likeness and image that is seen in Christ Jesus the Lord of Glory!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

7 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

The problem is, in the heat of the moment you don't have time to ascertain his full intent.  You have to assume the worst about his intentions.   You have a matter of seconds to react in an emergency and you don't have time to ask him what he intends to do and then stand their and calculate your response.

I am not being judgmental when I say he is a criminal.   If he breaks into your home, he is a criminal.    Yes, I can shoot and even kill a creation of God when he breaks into my home and has evil intentions against me.

I am glad I am not a family member in your home depending on your protection.   You are failure in that area.

That's it, shoot first and ask questions later.

I know that's in my Bible somewhere.

Or maybe my Bible doesn't have all the answers to life.....

Guest shiloh357
29 minutes ago, Tiger Eye said:

That's it, shoot first and ask questions later.

I know that's in my Bible somewhere.

Or maybe my Bible doesn't have all the answers to life.....

If the other person is armed, then yes you have to shoot first.   That's just common sense and I don't need the Bible to justify that, morally.   In that situation, you have to make life and death decisions and you need to act fast.  You have mere seconds to know what to do.

The Bible doesn't tells us everything.   There are issues the Bible does address.  But there is no moral paradigm present in the Bible that makes self-defense or killing in self-defense a sin.

38 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

If the other person is armed, then yes you have to shoot first.   That's just common sense and I don't need the Bible to justify that, morally.   In that situation, you have to make life and death decisions and you need to act fast.  You have mere seconds to know what to do.

The Bible doesn't tells us everything.   There are issues the Bible does address.  But there is no moral paradigm present in the Bible that makes self-defense or killing in self-defense a sin.

Did you say the Bible doesn't tell us everything?

Did God forget to tell us what to do in time of distress?

Psalm 120:1; "In my trouble I cried to the Lord, and He answered me".

The Apostle Paul tells us all through all of his letters as to how we should live our lives.

If using weapons for self-defense is not addressed, then maybe there is a reason for it.

Maybe he tells us to do other things instead.

In my opinion, if a person says "the Bible doesn't tell us everything", then I believe that person should spend more time studying the Bible and less time expressing their opinions.

Edited by Tiger Eye

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The Bible does tell us everything-including what we need to know for self defense, one just has to read all of it. Let's not forget that the same Jesus who rebuked Peter for his misuse of the sword in the garden told Peter to buy that very sword. Defending oneself is in the Bible-so is the appropriate use of force.

Guest shiloh357
32 minutes ago, Tiger Eye said:

Did you say the Bible doesn't tell us everything?

Did God forget to tell us what to do in time of distress?

Psalm 120:1; "In my trouble I cried to the Lord, and He answered me".

The Apostle Paul tells us all through all of his letters as to how we should live our lives.

If using weapons for self-defense is not addressed, then maybe there is a reason for it.

Maybe he tells us to do other things instead.

In my opinion, if a person says "the Bible doesn't tell us everything", then I believe that person should spend more time studying the Bible and less time expressing their opinions.

Yes, the Bible doesn't tell us everything, but what the Bible DOES do, is provide a moral paradigm by which we can address issues not directly or even indirectly mentioned in the Bible. 

The Bible doesn't say anything about spousal abuse, child molestation, gang rape, drug abuse, self-defense, suicide, abuse of animals, etc.   The Bible provides us a moral paradigm by which we can judge those issues, though.

The Bible doesn't teach us that we can presume on God's protection when either live recklessly or choose to not prepare for emergencies.    By your logic, if all we need to do is trust God and nothing else, then owning life insurance, health insurance, homeowners insurance and car insurance would be a lack of trust in God.

I should just live on Pepsi and donuts and pepperoni pizza 'cause if I really trust God, I don't need to take care of my body.  

Satan tried to tempt Jesus to presume on God's protection and Jesus rebuked the devil for that and said that we are not to put God to the test.

What is better is to take precautions to protect my family and trust God to handle what is out of my control.   It's not "defend yourself, or trust God."   It is defend yourself and trust God to help you.

This is just my opinion, but I believe there are many so-called experts out there that really need to study the Bible more and speak their opinions less.

Guest shiloh357
6 minutes ago, Tiger Eye said:

This is just my opinion, but I believe there are many so-called experts out there that really need to study the Bible more and speak their opinions less.

Translation:   "I can't refute Shioh's post because it provides me with facts I hadn't thought of, so I will just reiterate the same lame comments that Shiloh responded answered already.  That's easier than having to think."

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

Translation:   "I can't refute Shioh's post because it provides me with facts I hadn't thought of, so I will just reiterate the same lame comments that Shiloh responded answered already.  That's easier than having to think."

Let's see, 31,215 posts.

Yes, I guess that would qualify you for having an answer for everything.

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, Tiger Eye said:

Let's see, 31,215 posts.

Yes, I guess that would qualify you for having an answer for everything.

The fact remains that you can't refute what I stated above.  So you have deride me sarcastically as an "expert."    You still have nothing important to say.