Esther4:14

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

I was reading from Dante's Inferno the other day and I noticed something interesting about the experience of being hot and cold in a fallen world. 

"Hope nevermore to look upon the Heavens;

I come to lead you to the other shore

to the eternal shades in heat and frost" (Canto 3, 85-87). 

So, Virgil is leading him back to his place in a fallen state subjected to the experience of heat and frost. 

John Milton suggests the same phenomenon in Paradise Lost, that the experience of heat and frost were a result of the fall.

Of course this is fictional speculation of the fallen state of man, but I found it an interesting response to the scripture where God makes Adam and Eve a covering (Genesis 3:21). 

I am also inspired by men who spent their days reflecting the fallen state of man.  It is as if their responses represent their own repentance and recognition of sin through their creative endeavors.  To know what we should have is to recognize that we need salvation.  This is not His best for us and the coverings He gave to Adam and Eve were meant for more than covering our nakedness.  They protect us from being overmastered by every sense. 

"The land of tears gave forth a blast of wind,

And fulminated a vermilion light,

which overmastered in me every sense" (Canto 3, 133-135)