IGNORED

Wanting to join Hebrew roots into christianity ?

SINNERSAVED

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  14

Okay ,this is a topic that I believe has touched the surface on many areas as I have seen through the threads, I am not trying to start a new cult or , put something together that does not belong, I know that water and oil does not mix,

but we can say that we are Gentiles and following a jewish style , and Hebraic walk with God, for us to know the ways of God and to make sense of a lot that is told to us in the bible it is apparent , that we know and understand the customs of the jewish people and of Old, to put together what is being foretold of our future and the up coming events to take place as the end of the age I closing in, and Jesus or(Yeshua ) is coming back

so this is my thought ? if we are Christians like we profess to be , and study jewish and Hebrew, and get translation from the greeks also

then what would be the problem , that if there is a lot that we don't agree with in Christianity , that we could  place, and have Hebrew and jewish ways woven with in each other , and not think its a cult or that it be against the will of God, for a lot are Gentiles like my self, and I am interested to follow customs and ideas  and the ways of hebriac and jewish roots to my belief , and to affirm what God wants us to know,

for we are the called out ones, and so it should not be a big deal , when people see that we call God  Yashua ,. or Yeshua , or Elohim, or to follow what was set before us , that had to be translated from the past to the future, so you see, I have to be honest, and don't get upet with what I say , this is where we can discus the and work out what we believe and why we believe  and see other view points, I do not want anyone making it personal thank you , its a simple open topic,  and so

if Christians started calling Jesus Yashua, or yahshua , which spelling is proper, for there is a few, so I am still working on this,

ad following the old laws  of the torah , and to join both to todays christianity what would be wrong with that ?

I think most that really study the bible, will gravitate to using the ways of old, for it was simple and clear back in the day , and now we have made it complicated and no one knows the truth anymore, and everyone has  gone in too deep in to the word , and have not found the true power of it, I am speaking in general, for many do not pick up there bibles so they would not know what a faithful Christian , or a person that is really seeking God,

so we have what I believe a devotion in love, with wanting to love God and bring in some of the old simple and easy love, and then you have the today and technical , and destruction of scripture and what God is trying to tell us, the Christians preaching one thing and living secular with no belief during the rest of the week , so I am not trying to invent anything but thoughts and ideas to this topic

please give your comments and responses , I would be glad to hear them , thank you and blessing

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

Since I am a Messianic Jew, I want to give you some information.

Messianic Judaism is first and foremost and evangelistic movement. (Messianic Jews do not consider Messianic Judaism a denomination but rather a movement). In 1915, the Hebrew Christian Alliance of America opened in the U.S. The group had been in England for a while before. The Hebrew Christian Alliance was started by Jewish believers, and was a missions group dedicated to sharing the gospel to Jewish people by Jewish believers. The upper leadership is all Jewish. While over the years, Gentiles have shared the gospel with Jewish people, and had some come to believe, the number of Jewish people who accepted the Lord were very few. The Hebrew Christian Alliance started some worship groups/churches for Jewish people who struggled with the predominantly Gentile view in most churches. 

In 1972, the Hebrew Christian Alliance of America changed it's name to Messianic Jewish Alliance of America. Jewish people had stopped using Hebrew to refer to themselves and now used Jewish and the view among the Jewish people of the term Christian was low due to persecution,  and Christian is based on Greek word Christos. The Hebrew word meaning the same thing transliterated into English is Messiah. Jewish people are very familiar with the meaning of the word Messiah, as Judaism teaches a coming Messiah, and Hebrew scriptures prophesy The Moshiach, The Messiah. Plus, anti-semites often call the Jewish people Christ-killer, followed by verbal or physical abuse, so the use of the word Christ, has negative connotations. Gentiles who have a heart for Jewish people hearing the gospel joined Messianic Judaism congregations.

A new group of Gentiles have been joining Messianic Judaism synagogues, who desire to 'worship' in a Jewish fashion. These Gentiles were not interested in sharing the gospel with the Jewish people, so often misunderstand Messianic Judaism. Out of that misunderstanding of the missionary nature of Messianic Judaism, Jewish believers partnering with Gentile believers,   sharing the gospel with the Jewish people, some Gentiles were upset that Messianic Judaism emphasizes an outreach view where the Jewish people who have rejected Jesus as a Gentile religion. In the outreach, Messianic Judaism is showing that belief in Jesus is for the Jewish people.

Gentiles who did not understand Messianic Judaism, desired to be Jewish themselves as they thought somehow that Jews were superior to Gentiles, and these Gentiles did not want to be inferior to Jews. Many of these Gentiles searched their linage to find a Jewish relative so that they could claim to be Jewish, but being Jewish is more then a distant relative who might be Jewish. One couple left Messianic Judaism to find a way to be considered Jewish. What they found was an antisemitic site which promoted a particularly venomous form of British Israelism. British Israelism teaches the tribes which were a part of the Northern Kingdom, are now lost, but in reality, settled in Britain, Denmark, and that many people in America are actually part of the lost tribes of Israel. (The anti-semitic teaching in British Israel says the Jewish people are not Jews, but usurpers, as they are actually Khazars. It gets much worse). Anyway, this couple decided that they must be a part of the so called 10 lost tribes, of the northern house of Israel. This is really inaccurate history, and the bible OT is grossly misinterpreted. 

So, the Two House movement based on British Israelism, and Herbert W. Armstrongs teachings, has gained a following among Gentiles who want to be Jewish. They call themselves Messianic, Netzarim Israel, Ephraimites (from the larger tribe living in the North), and Two House. Other strange groups like the Sacred Name/Yawists have joined with this group.

From Two House, a group started to observe their version of the Mosaic law, so some of Two House became also One Law theology. One group which was Two House, has dropped the Two House theology and are strictly One Law. The term One Law comes from their belief that there is One Law for Jews and Gentiles, so Gentiles are equally obligated to the Mosaic law as the Jewish people. Of course, there is some misinterpretation of scripture to justify their beliefs. 

The leadership of Two House and One Law has a wide range of problems. Many jumped on the bandwagon to gain followers, and many have some very corrupt interpretations of scripture. One claimed to be Jewish, but was not Jewish. He claimed to be fluent in Hebrew, and Aramaic, but those who were quickly knew he was not fluent and barely knew anything. He said he translated the Hebrew bible to English but in reality, used the bible from a cult called The Way International, and changed a few words to Hebrew. 

Another supports polygamy, and is now divorced as his first wife (who disagreed) and is now 'married to multiple wives.

Another is well known for making prophesies with set dates, which do not come true. 

So, I would recommend Messianic Judaism but Messianic Judaism, to understand Jewish roots, may not really be what you are seeking. Two House and One Law teach what they call Hebrew roots, but be very careful, and compare all that you hear to scripture. This forum, as you know will give you differing views, and is worth while to hash out teachings.    

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, SINNERSAVED said:

so this is my thought ? if we are Christians like we profess to be , and study jewish and Hebrew, and get translation from the greeks also then what would be the problem... 

In response to your idea about "Hebrew roots" please note:

1. The Messiah and the Gospel went out to the Jews first, in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and throughout the Roman Empire. The Jews -- by and large -- rejected Yeshua ha Maschiah and brought judgement upon themselves. The Gentiles then gladly received the Gospel, and Christianity was established in Gentile lands while the Jews turned to rabbinic Judaism.

2. God chose to have the New Testament written in Greek, even though all the writers were Jews and would have preferred Hebrew. That is a lesson in itself, in that the New Covenant (Testament) would be for the whole world while partial blindness would come upon the Jews.

3. "Jesus" is now the Saviour of the world, and we are to bring sinners to the Lord Jesus Christ.  He is no longer just Yeshua ha Mashiach for the Jews.  He was to be A LIGHT TO LIGHTEN THE GENTILES, and the whole world has heard the name "Jesus" (not Yeshua).

4. The New Covenant has replaced the Old Covenant (the Law of Moses) and God says to you and to me "There is no going back to Moses after Christ".  Read the epistle to the Hebrews (which generally gets brushed off by Messianics).

5. Peter while writing to the Jewish believers scattered throughout the Roman Empire calls them "Christians" not "disciples of Yeshua".  Why? Because God abolished the difference between Jew and Gentile at the cross. It was called "the middle wall of partition" and that wall was removed, just like the veil in the Temple was torn in two.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

The problem is created because Israel is divided over Christ.  " Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division" (Luke 12:51).  Jeremiah 23 explains that the teachers who are leading the people astray are going to be set apart or divided from the rest of the people He plans to redeem from their false teaching, which no doubt included telling them that they were without sin like it is recorded in the Talmud tract Sabbath instead of telling them that they need to repent, which was the primary message of the one who was sent to prepare His way (Mark 1:3).   " In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea,“Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”  (Matthew 3:1-2).  

Before this they were being taught they were without sin.  If they were without sin, then there was nothing to worry about according to the Torah.  They could say peace, peace because Israel would be blessed if they were blameless according to the law.  So, they told them they were without sin, and the people suffered with no way to heal the wound that was created by this arrogance.  

However, it was not always like this, this distinction between Messianic Jews and gentile Christians.  In War of the Jews, Josephus describes three groups within the Jews as the: the Pharisee, Sadducee's, and Essene's.  The Essene's bear a striking resemblance to Christians.  He says they often prophecy and what they say comes to pass; however, they are described as Jews-not gentiles, and he refuses to say that this group follows Christ.  Instead, He only says that this group, called the Essene's, refuse to deny their leader (War of the Jews, Book 2, chapter 8). 

For one, this was a tactic of the Pharisees in Acts chapter 4 after Peter and John healed the man in front of the temple.  " What shall we do with these men? For that a notable sign has been performed through them is evident to all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and we cannot deny it.  But in order that it may spread no further among the people, let us warn them to speak no more to anyone in this name.” (Acts 4:16-17).  

However, regardless of whether he says that Christ is their leader, The Epistle Concerning the Martyrdom of Polycarp in the Ante Nicene church writing provides more support in chapter 17 that the people Josephus is describing are Christian.  He says, "it is neither possible for us ever to forsake Christ who suffered for the sake of such as shall be saved throughout the whole world."

There are claims that Josephus mentions Christ like twice in the Antiquities of the Jews, but it is possible that this is added to his writing at a later date.  Even with this addition, it is striking to note the voluminous works of Josephus from the times following the death of Christ and the increasing number of martyrs for Christ that were taking place during this time, and never once uses His name along with what the scripture relate was a strategy considered by the Pharisees in order to stop the spread of Christianity.   

So, after this point, it is likely that the next strategy was to separate Christianity off as a religion of the gentile and not of the Jews, by negotiating a deal with Constantine to lead the Christians.  When the Catholic church changed the day of the Sabbath and stamped Christian holidays over Pagan ones, they did this to make Christianity of a religion of the genitals-not the Jews.  This is an example of Kabbalah, or Jewish witchcraft.  

Kabbalah is like the Ferrari of witchcraft world, that is useful as a bargaining chip with people who see sorcery as a way to improve their lives or positions.  It is like saying that the things within the temple have some sort of magical power.  Then, taking this opinion and going to someone like Emperor Constantine, for example, and telling him that you will give him some magical something from the temple articles if he will give you authority to rule over a group of people.  If Emperor Constantine feels that it is would advantageous to have these things in his position because of how they could benefit him in a mystical way, then he would agree to something like this.  Interestingly enough, this was the motivation for many of the crusades-to find the articles from the temple.  

This can be seen in scripture when King Hezekiah showed the king of Babylon all the things in His kingdom (2 Kings 20:13).   Solomon showed the queen of Sheba his riches and it was no big thing (1 Kings 10).  But, when King Hezekiah showed the king of Babylon all the stuff in the kingdom, He was judged for this and told that the people would be taken into captivity (2 Kings 20:16-18).  I also believe that King James was interested in this subject as well, which is what he is talking about when describes different skill levels of sorcery in his book Daemonologie.  " "I speak first of that part, wherein the Devil obliges himself to them by forms, I mean in what shape or fashion he shall come unto them, when they call upon him.  And by effects, I understand, in what special sort of sorcery he binds himself to be subject unto them.  The quality of these forms and effects, is less or greater, according to the skill and art of the magician" (note, I have directly changed spelling to modern English for readability, page 23).  

This is why he made so many changes to the English language when he commissioned the King James Version-to confuse them as in the days of the Tower of Babel.  This is a type of Kabbalah.  

My suspicion for this grows because the Catholic church is like the CIA with a whole mass of records they consider classified information.  What are they trying to hide.  It continues to grow when I consider other things that Josephus mentions before talking about the Essenes in Book 2 of War of the Jews.  

He says in chapter 6 that the Jewish people request tolerable governance from the Romans government.

There is also the account in chapter 7 where a Jewish man is said to go robbing many Jewish communities by impersonating the Jewish prince Alexander who has been killed.  This historical accounts provide the motivation and evidence for a plot to impersonate Christians and provide tolerable governance through the Roman emperor approved by Constantine.

This strategy would migrate north and is probably related to why the King of the Khazar's agreed to establish Judaism among the Khazar's.  So, Europeans Jews are mixed.  This does not invalidate being Jew, it just represents the migration and changes that have taken place since the establishment of the New Covenant.  However, because they are mixed, or represent a population that intermarried with Jewish converts-they don't represent the standard for identifying whether someone is Jewish according to DNA because as Josephus relates, the Essene's were Jewish and converts to Christianity and who knows whether or not they are a descendant of Israel or whether their DNA, after a couple thousands years of migration and intermarriage like the Jewish population demonstrates based on the history concerning the Khazar conversion, would be identifiable with this same group we consider to be Jews today.  

According to scripture, in Zechariah 6: 7 "When the strong horses came out, they were impatient to go and patrol the earth. And he said, “Go, patrol the earth.” So they patrolled the earth.   Then he cried to me, “Behold, those who go toward the north country have set my Spirit at rest in the north country.”

The strong horses are the witnesses that go out to preach the Gospel to the whole world.  These servants are commanded to take up our cross and endure persecutions, but the witnesses that go north are given peace (Mark 16:15; Luke 9:23, Matthew 10:22).  I think it is possible that the Essene's and/or Jewish converts to Christianity went north as well as the group that did not convert and continued to be identified as Jew throughout the years, and this is why they are given peace and the same distinction as Israel is present here.  Like a sign.  But, this is difficult to see because of the division over Christ and the spiritual battle that has been taking place since He began His ministry.  

Unfortunately, this puts a lot of people who are converting from Judaism today, in a difficult position trying to bridge the gap that was created when Christianity was cut off as a religion of the Gentiles.  Therefore, creating the Hebrew Roots movement.  

I would like to note that the information I present is based on my own research trying to find ways to communicate things I learned growing up.  I do not have anyone that is leading me to form these conclusions or anywhere to cite these resources in the same combination and with the same conclusion as I have presented.  

Finally, following in the footsteps of Christ who even being the Son of God, did not feel it necessary to enter every city declaring Himself as the Son of God.  In fact, He hardly spoke of it at all.  This is the same way I feel about saying whether you are Jewish or not.  If by being a descendant of Abraham, you are blessed because of it, then this should be seen by those around you.  " Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers, (Luke 6:4).  There is really no need to use different names in identifying ourselves in Christ because if there is a difference, it should be visible to everyone.  Like a city on a hill that cannot be hidden (Matthew 5:14). 

But, today, we are continually being taught that the Jews are blessed because they are descendants of Abraham, and this is the same teaching that John the Baptist rebuked.  " Bear fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father,’ for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham. Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire," (Matthew 3:8-10).  

This is unfortunate that so many depend on this today.  Personally, I would rather be chosen like Abraham, than depend on a blessing for being a descendant of Abraham.  This is what is so unfortunate about this teaching-it seems to discourage people from thinking they are capable doing this.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Qnts2 said:

Since I am a Messianic Jew, I want to give you some information.

Messianic Judaism is first and foremost and evangelistic movement. (Messianic Jews do not consider Messianic Judaism a denomination but rather a movement). In 1915, the Hebrew Christian Alliance of America opened in the U.S. The group had been in England for a while before. The Hebrew Christian Alliance was started by Jewish believers, and was a missions group dedicated to sharing the gospel to Jewish people by Jewish believers. The upper leadership is all Jewish. While over the years, Gentiles have shared the gospel with Jewish people, and had some come to believe, the number of Jewish people who accepted the Lord were very few. The Hebrew Christian Alliance started some worship groups/churches for Jewish people who struggled with the predominantly Gentile view in most churches. 

In 1972, the Hebrew Christian Alliance of America changed it's name to Messianic Jewish Alliance of America. Jewish people had stopped using Hebrew to refer to themselves and now used Jewish and the view among the Jewish people of the term Christian was low due to persecution,  and Christian is based on Greek word Christos. The Hebrew word meaning the same thing transliterated into English is Messiah. Jewish people are very familiar with the meaning of the word Messiah, as Judaism teaches a coming Messiah, and Hebrew scriptures prophesy The Moshiach, The Messiah. Plus, anti-semites often call the Jewish people Christ-killer, followed by verbal or physical abuse, so the use of the word Christ, has negative connotations. Gentiles who have a heart for Jewish people hearing the gospel joined Messianic Judaism congregations.

A new group of Gentiles have been joining Messianic Judaism synagogues, who desire to 'worship' in a Jewish fashion. These Gentiles were not interested in sharing the gospel with the Jewish people, so often misunderstand Messianic Judaism. Out of that misunderstanding of the missionary nature of Messianic Judaism, Jewish believers partnering with Gentile believers,   sharing the gospel with the Jewish people, some Gentiles were upset that Messianic Judaism emphasizes an outreach view where the Jewish people who have rejected Jesus as a Gentile religion. In the outreach, Messianic Judaism is showing that belief in Jesus is for the Jewish people.

Gentiles who did not understand Messianic Judaism, desired to be Jewish themselves as they thought somehow that Jews were superior to Gentiles, and these Gentiles did not want to be inferior to Jews. Many of these Gentiles searched their linage to find a Jewish relative so that they could claim to be Jewish, but being Jewish is more then a distant relative who might be Jewish. One couple left Messianic Judaism to find a way to be considered Jewish. What they found was an antisemitic site which promoted a particularly venomous form of British Israelism. British Israelism teaches the tribes which were a part of the Northern Kingdom, are now lost, but in reality, settled in Britain, Denmark, and that many people in America are actually part of the lost tribes of Israel. (The anti-semitic teaching in British Israel says the Jewish people are not Jews, but usurpers, as they are actually Khazars. It gets much worse). Anyway, this couple decided that they must be a part of the so called 10 lost tribes, of the northern house of Israel. This is really inaccurate history, and the bible OT is grossly misinterpreted. 

So, the Two House movement based on British Israelism, and Herbert W. Armstrongs teachings, has gained a following among Gentiles who want to be Jewish. They call themselves Messianic, Netzarim Israel, Ephraimites (from the larger tribe living in the North), and Two House. Other strange groups like the Sacred Name/Yawists have joined with this group.

From Two House, a group started to observe their version of the Mosaic law, so some of Two House became also One Law theology. One group which was Two House, has dropped the Two House theology and are strictly One Law. The term One Law comes from their belief that there is One Law for Jews and Gentiles, so Gentiles are equally obligated to the Mosaic law as the Jewish people. Of course, there is some misinterpretation of scripture to justify their beliefs. 

The leadership of Two House and One Law has a wide range of problems. Many jumped on the bandwagon to gain followers, and many have some very corrupt interpretations of scripture. One claimed to be Jewish, but was not Jewish. He claimed to be fluent in Hebrew, and Aramaic, but those who were quickly knew he was not fluent and barely knew anything. He said he translated the Hebrew bible to English but in reality, used the bible from a cult called The Way International, and changed a few words to Hebrew. 

Another supports polygamy, and is now divorced as his first wife (who disagreed) and is now 'married to multiple wives.

Another is well known for making prophesies with set dates, which do not come true. 

So, I would recommend Messianic Judaism but Messianic Judaism, to understand Jewish roots, may not really be what you are seeking. Two House and One Law teach what they call Hebrew roots, but be very careful, and compare all that you hear to scripture. This forum, as you know will give you differing views, and is worth while to hash out teachings.    

I agree with Q.  I have been in Messianic Judaism for a good part of my life.  Beware of the Two House Theory.  Beware of some of these congregations that believe Gentiles should become more Jewish and actually encourage them to participate in a Mikvah (baptism) and try to follow all the mitzvot (the collective 613 commandments).  Shy away from those congregations that do not consider Jew and Gentile as one in Messiah and both are equally important.

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

In response to your idea about "Hebrew roots" please note:

1. The Messiah and the Gospel went out to the Jews first, in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and throughout the Roman Empire. The Jews -- by and large -- rejected Yeshua ha Maschiah and brought judgement upon themselves. The Gentiles then gladly received the Gospel, and Christianity was established in Gentile lands while the Jews turned to rabbinic Judaism.

2. God chose to have the New Testament written in Greek, even though all the writers were Jews and would have preferred Hebrew. That is a lesson in itself, in that the New Covenant (Testament) would be for the whole world while partial blindness would come upon the Jews.

3. "Jesus" is now the Saviour of the world, and we are to bring sinners to the Lord Jesus Christ.  He is no longer just Yeshua ha Mashiach for the Jews.  He was to be A LIGHT TO LIGHTEN THE GENTILES, and the whole world has heard the name "Jesus" (not Yeshua).

4. The New Covenant has replaced the Old Covenant (the Law of Moses) and God says to you and to me "There is no going back to Moses after Christ".  Read the epistle to the Hebrews (which generally gets brushed off by Messianics).

5. Peter while writing to the Jewish believers scattered throughout the Roman Empire calls them "Christians" not "disciples of Yeshua".  Why? Because God abolished the difference between Jew and Gentile at the cross. It was called "the middle wall of partition" and that wall was removed, just like the veil in the Temple was torn in two.

The "Christian" term and "disciples of Yeshua" would be one in the same.  Jesus commanded to go and make disciples.  Christian was just the Greek word for "follower of the Messiah"; a disciple of Christ (Yeshua).

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  14

I want to thank shar , ester 4;14, Ezra and Qnts for all of those comments  research and responses, it has helped me out greatly , and I wanted to thank you for that sharing, blessings to you all, I learned a little more then I thought I could, and I do agree with you Ester 4;14 I feel the same way and see where you are coming from , and from my research you are correct , and this is the mysteries that we try to find from the evil that tries to hide the truth of God,

But I believe that God still knows our hearts and knows we are trying to seek Him with all that we can , and so the holy spirit will guide us, and help us, to draw close to God,  we just need to be persistent and keep on seeking ,m and praying, and doing everything we can to follow Him

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  209
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, Ezra said:

(....)

2. God chose to have the New Testament written in Greek, even though all the writers were Jews and would have preferred Hebrew. That is a lesson in itself, in that the New Covenant (Testament) would be for the whole world while partial blindness would come upon the Jews.(

(....)

5. Peter while writing to the Jewish believers scattered throughout the Roman Empire calls them "Christians" not "disciples of Yeshua" (.....)

Sorry, I don’t mean to interrupt your discussion and I don’t want to come across as an awful know-it-all, but it is factually wrong, that the NT authors would have prefered Hebrew, so please let me correct you:

Most authors of the New Testament, including Paul, were Hellenized Jews, meaning that Koine Greek was the language they spoke in daily life and were absolutely comfortable with. Koine Greek was just the Lingua Franca of the day and region, Christianity developed in and many Jews weren’t that versed in Hebrew anymore, which is why the Septuaginta (Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible) was needed. For more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenistic_Judaism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koine_Greek

Personally I think it would be wrong to reduce Christianity to its Jewish roots whilst ignoring the influence Greek philosophy had on both the then Jewish theological thought and on early (and later) Christian theological thought, love,

junobet

P.S.: New Testament scholarship will tell you that as far as we can tell Peter never wrote either to the gentiles or Jewish Christians. The two epistles that bear his name were in all likelihood written by somebody else, but feel free to disagree as I’m sure you will. ;-)

Edited by junobet

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

35 minutes ago, junobet said:

Sorry, I don’t mean to interrupt your discussion and I don’t want to come across as an awful know-it-all, but it is factually wrong, that the NT authors would have prefered Hebrew, so please let me correct you:

Most authors of the New Testament, including Paul, were Hellenized Jews, meaning that Koine Greek was the language they spoke in daily life and were absolutely comfortable with. Koine Greek was just the Lingua Franca of the day and region, Christianity developed in and many Jews weren’t that versed in Hebrew anymore, which is why the Septuaginta (Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible) was needed. For more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenistic_Judaism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koine_Greek

Personally I think it would be wrong to reduce Christianity to its Jewish roots whilst ignoring the influence Greek philosophy had on both the then Jewish theological thought and on early (and later) Christian theological thought, love,

junobet

P.S.: New Testament scholarship will tell you that as far as we can tell Peter never wrote either to the gentiles or Jewish Christians. The two epistles that bear his name were in all likelihood written by somebody else, but feel free to disagree as I’m sure you will. ;-)

Just about all Jewish people had been trained in Hebrew. Hellenized Jews mostly spoke Aramaic, which is why the Targums were written. The Targums were a translation from Hebrew to Aramaic.

Paul might have been born in Tarsus, to be a Pharisee, he would have spent a considerable amount of time living in Jerusalem to receive his training. The every day language in Jerusalem was Hebrew, so Paul would have been accustomed to speaking Hebrew, and would have been completely fluent.

Jewish people knew Aramaic, and Hebrew. Jewish people would have been familiar with Greek as they would have needed to know enough Greek to communicate with people other the Jewish people, who would have had Greek as the primary language of Gentile. 

While the Greek translation of the books of Moses was available and used,  the entire OT was not translated yet. The Septuagint began when Ptolemy of Alexandria Egypt, conscripted 70 or 72 Rabbis to translate the  books of Moses from Hebrew to Greek. Additional books were translated at a slower pace and not necessarily by Rabbis. Judaism discontinued the use of the Greek when people who were not highly knowledgable attempted to translate Hebrew to Greek and made many errors. Due to the poor translations, Judaism considered it better to wholy discontinue use of the Greek translations, rather then correct the shoddy translations. 

The early church was entirely Jewish, and while Greek philosophy had some influence, Greek philosophy would not have had a major influence until the inclusion of the Gentiles. Paul, in speaking the gospel to the Gentiles used Greek philosophy to help explain the Gospel in a way to help Gentiles relate and understand.  Although Greek philosophy did not actually influence Christian theology, but was used as a vehicle to explain the gospel.