• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

Simply talking with someone else and sharing ones faith

The greatest way we can show respect for someone is to simply listen to them and not to try to change their minds.  I suppose in trying to such a thing would lead to ‘Excedrin Headache #8”, since it is impossible. Howe do I know this?  From personal experience when I am communing with others.  I have been screamed at by some over the simple fact that I am a Christian believer.  I have been reviled by Christians because I am a Catholic.  Yet it has had no affect on me.  Why should it?  If I know this, why would I put someone else through that nonsense? 

However, when I feel that I am respected I am more disposed to listen and it makes it easier for me to consider what is said to me.  Even if it does not change my mind, it allows me to still grow in my comprehension of others and their beliefs.  People think that they have good reason to think and believe what they do and who am I to try dissuading them of that?  Yet I can share and listen.

When people actually communicate and not try to force compliance there is a cross pollination of ideas that can help both parties.  Now this is not easy, for tolerance and respect are often a choice and not a fuzzy warm feeling.  People have dignity and need to be respected.  Of course there are some who need to be limited in what they can do to others, poor souls who have serious emotional and psychological problems.  Or just plain mean and power hungry.

It is simply living out the ‘Golden Rule’, by knowing how I want to be treated and in turn doing the same to others.  This takes self knowledge and a form of mindfulness of what one wants as well as what can stop that from happening.  Fear for instance of the anxiety that can arise when speaking to people who live in a different thought or faith world.  If it is allowed to run its course things will settle once again.  To fight with violent language will only make things worse and ones fear of doubt will never be faced, tamed and used to deepen ones faith and understanding of their path. 

Christ Jesus is Lord and I have experienced his love, mercy and healing.  I believe that all receive the same; we just have to open up our hearts.  Just as St. Paul had his Damascus experience, so I believe that all peoples who seek truth and love will have their own.  Only God see the heart at its deepest depth.  I seek not to be one who slows that process down or blocks it.

I have found this to be a respectful place and I want to think those who have shown patience with me.  It is good to have lots of brothers and sisters in the Lord.......Praise God.....and thank you all.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  478
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,565
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

Hi Mark well said. I find too when I speak with respect to a person with different Faith Ideas They Become More Open with me. On this board if your Catholic they tend to see you as having false teachings and not a real christian. Of course I know a christian is one who loves the son of God and believes in him and Catholics fulfill this very much. I love the Catholic faith. Dont agree with everything but could see my self going to a Catholic church. Some Catholics dont see protestants as real christians. I belong to a Catholic group on Facebook.  Some things said against us protestants are hard lol. We need love mercy and honor when we speak and especially debate on faith topics. We are sharing Jesus. That should give us a little fear in presenting truth to each other. Let us love one another as Jesus has loved us. I wish I could have become a monk when I was a young man. When I read Elizabeth of trinity life in a monastery I think you can draw closer to our God Living that way. I work when I get up at 4:30 I pray for 30 min. Then read scripture for 15 min. Then I get ready to go to work. I start work at six. I do not have time to spend two hours in prayer in the morning.  I do pray when I get home but I am so sleepy.  My prayers are not the same. I am like the Apostles in the garden lol.But to get back to what you wrote God does see our hearts very much in truth but we cannot the same way when we speak to one another .I like worthy too the people here are very nice and loving.  But I think I will become catholic some day if I can get pass the teachings on Mary and purgatory.  Then if I do others in the protestant camp will view me not a christian.  Ibam praying for God to show me the way. I need wisdom. If I become catholic I will always view protestants as brothers and sisters of Jesus. This is hard. But I think Catholics are more devoted to the lord

Guest bonnieschamberger

Yes absolutely..if I get to be me other people get to be who they are as well..Ive always felt that way even before I became a christian but even moreso now that God has been loving me so well with His perfect love.

7 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Hi Mark well said. I find too when I speak with respect to a person with different Faith Ideas They Become More Open with me. On this board if your Catholic they tend to see you as having false teachings and not a real christian. Of course I know a christian is one who loves the son of God and believes in him and Catholics fulfill this very much. I love the Catholic faith. Dont agree with everything but could see my self going to a Catholic church. Some Catholics dont see protestants as real christians. I belong to a Catholic group on Facebook.  Some things said against us protestants are hard lol. We need love mercy and honor when we speak and especially debate on faith topics. We are sharing Jesus. That should give us a little fear in presenting truth to each other. Let us love one another as Jesus has loved us. I wish I could have become a monk when I was a young man. When I read Elizabeth of trinity life in a monastery I think you can draw closer to our God Living that way. I work when I get up at 4:30 I pray for 30 min. Then read scripture for 15 min. Then I get ready to go to work. I start work at six. I do not have time to spend two hours in prayer in the morning.  I do pray when I get home but I am so sleepy.  My prayers are not the same. I am like the Apostles in the garden lol.But to get back to what you wrote God does see our hearts very much in truth but we cannot the same way when we speak to one another .I like worthy too the people here are very nice and loving.  But I think I will become catholic some day if I can get pass the teachings on Mary and purgatory.  Then if I do others in the protestant camp will view me not a christian.  Ibam praying for God to show me the way. I need wisdom. If I become catholic I will always view protestants as brothers and sisters of Jesus. This is hard. But I think Catholics are more devoted to the lord

Think you Wayne.  Yes there are some Catholics who can sound like some of those good Christians here  ;-).  I understand.  The Purgatory belief for me is simple and makes sense, but I have been a Catholic all of my life, so what is easy to practice and see it as going deeper into the mystery of Christ Jesus mystical Body, for others is some sort of pagan belief.  So I was being truthful about not trying to change anyone's mind, but to perhaps give them some understanding about purgatory.  I succeeded about the first part, but not about the second LOL

I am humbled by your love of the Lord Wane and and you truly mature Child-like-Faith.   I am happy that you are here.  We are one in the Lord, that I believe and that the division in the Body Of Christ is a sorrow for the Lord, but that is the world we live in.  I pray everyday to love everyone and when I pray everyone is there with me......and I do mean everyone.  I am a strong believer in the Priesthood of the Faithful.

Again thank you my friend.  One day maybe we can meet, come for a retreat.....we have many non-Catholics come here from all denominations, they pray with us in our church and come to our retreats.  Many Baptists come, minister love it here as well as the laity.  They don's seemed bothered when they come to our last prayer service (compline) and we finish with the Salve Regina.....most join in, some don't. 

Peace Brother

Mark

7 hours ago, bonnieschamberger said:

Yes absolutely..if I get to be me other people get to be who they are as well..Ive always felt that way even before I became a christian but even moreso now that God has been loving me so well with His perfect love.

Thank you Bonnie, I can sense that you truly have he love of Christ Jesus in your heart.  Your post about your fellow workers showed that to me. 

Peace
mark

46 minutes ago, Yowm said:

With all of your postings you sure had me fooled.

I am not trying to change your mind LOL, how could I?  Yet communication and sharing is important. 

Peace
Mark

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

16 hours ago, markdohle said:

The greatest way we can show respect for someone is to simply listen to them and not to try to change their minds.  I suppose in trying to such a thing would lead to ‘Excedrin Headache #8”, since it is impossible. Howe do I know this?  From personal experience when I am communing with others.  I have been screamed at by some over the simple fact that I am a Christian believer.  I have been reviled by Christians because I am a Catholic.  Yet it has had no affect on me.  Why should it?  If I know this, why would I put someone else through that nonsense? 

However, when I feel that I am respected I am more disposed to listen and it makes it easier for me to consider what is said to me.  Even if it does not change my mind, it allows me to still grow in my comprehension of others and their beliefs.  People think that they have good reason to think and believe what they do and who am I to try dissuading them of that?  Yet I can share and listen.

When people actually communicate and not try to force compliance there is a cross pollination of ideas that can help both parties.  Now this is not easy, for tolerance and respect are often a choice and not a fuzzy warm feeling.  People have dignity and need to be respected.  Of course there are some who need to be limited in what they can do to others, poor souls who have serious emotional and psychological problems.  Or just plain mean and power hungry.

It is simply living out the ‘Golden Rule’, by knowing how I want to be treated and in turn doing the same to others.  This takes self knowledge and a form of mindfulness of what one wants as well as what can stop that from happening.  Fear for instance of the anxiety that can arise when speaking to people who live in a different thought or faith world.  If it is allowed to run its course things will settle once again.  To fight with violent language will only make things worse and ones fear of doubt will never be faced, tamed and used to deepen ones faith and understanding of their path. 

Christ Jesus is Lord and I have experienced his love, mercy and healing.  I believe that all receive the same; we just have to open up our hearts.  Just as St. Paul had his Damascus experience, so I believe that all peoples who seek truth and love will have their own.  Only God see the heart at its deepest depth.  I seek not to be one who slows that process down or blocks it.

I have found this to be a respectful place and I want to think those who have shown patience with me.  It is good to have lots of brothers and sisters in the Lord.......Praise God.....and thank you all.

I believe sharing the gospel is what we are here for. My question to you is, what do you say to these people?  If they were ask you how do I become saved?  Do you share what Jesus taught us according to the Word of God?

Blessings, RustyAngeL

36 minutes ago, Yowm said:

You know what Mark, I respect and click well with dogmatic types even though I may not agree with them at least I know where they are coming from.

I have difficulty with those who want to discuss and come to a middle road of agreement, it usually leads to compromise, and trying to understand where they stand is like trying to pin jello to the wall...but that is just me.

Actually it's not OK.

When someone is sending out false doctrine it confuses new believers or ones that are looking for a deeper walk with the Lord. 

There is no middle of the road when it come to the Bible.  As I stated, no such thing as a grey area in the Word of God.

Blessings, RustyAngeL

17 hours ago, markdohle said:

A beautiful way to keep the doors of communication open... I wish more would adopt these views.

12 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Why Wayne would want to get past purgatory when it doesn't even exist?  

To say Catholics are more devoted to the Lord is ludicrous.

Anyone can go through the motions.  But the bottom line is the teachings of the Catholic Church are false.  Praying to saints, putting Mary as someone who was perfect, without sin when scripture clearly states that Jesus was the only one who "knew no sin"  Believing you can pray someone of a place that as I just stated doesn't even exist.

The Bible says "it is appointed for ONCE man to die, after that the judgement."  Nothing about a second chance in purgatory.  just as Heaven is forever so is Hell.  

And to say Catholics are more devoted to the Lord is just so out in left field.  What I would like to know is what is it that Catholics do that makes them more devoted to God then protestants are?  Please, I don't want your opinion, I was scripture.  Book, chapter and verse.

Blessings, RustyAngeL