Kelby

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

This past Sunday my church held the Lord's supper, but I was uncertain if I should participate or not, as I have many things I am currently struggling with. My preacher had cautioned the congregation to first examine ourselves before taking part in this holy ordinance.

27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

I prayed several times for the Lord to lead me as to what what I should do. Then before Sunday school started I was approached about helping pass out the trays to everyone. There aren't many who attend my church, but usually the deacons or a handful of others take care of things like this. I oversee the church audio equipment, so when I was asked about helping I was pretty surprised. I took it as a sign from God that it was ok for me to take part. 

The more I got to thinking about it and as it weighed on me, I felt that I had some things in my heart that I still needed help getting rid of. I was probably the only person in that building who didn't eat and drink, and became immediately saddened. Now in hindsight my sadness has become fear as I feel I have denied the Lord Jesus. 

33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,682
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

May  I recommend the text of a sermon  by C H Spurgeon 

http://thekingdomcollective.com/spurgeon/sermon/3338/ 

And 

http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols43-45/chs2638.pdf

http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols49-51/chs2942.pdf

http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols46-48/chs2699.pdf

May some of the text within be of help as you work through the word of God in prayer and thought. And may the Holy Spirit  enlighten you and comfort you in your decisions.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

On 1/2/2017 at 2:57 PM, Kelby said:

This past Sunday my church held the Lord's supper, but I was uncertain if I should participate or not, as I have many things I am currently struggling with. My preacher had cautioned the congregation to first examine ourselves before taking part in this holy ordinance.

27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

I prayed several times for the Lord to lead me as to what what I should do. Then before Sunday school started I was approached about helping pass out the trays to everyone. There aren't many who attend my church, but usually the deacons or a handful of others take care of things like this. I oversee the church audio equipment, so when I was asked about helping I was pretty surprised. I took it as a sign from God that it was ok for me to take part. 

The more I got to thinking about it and as it weighed on me, I felt that I had some things in my heart that I still needed help getting rid of. I was probably the only person in that building who didn't eat and drink, and became immediately saddened. Now in hindsight my sadness has become fear as I feel I have denied the Lord Jesus. 

33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.

You can take Communion in your home, and at any time you feel the need. You do not have to be in a Church building to do it. Remember the early Church when they had to meet in their homes in secret. And that pastor is correct with quoting that Scripture from Apostle Paul. The idea of taking Communion in an unworthily manner is about not recognizing it's supposed to be a serious time of self-reflection and conversation directly with our Lord Jesus to correct or get help with issues we're having in our lives, and especially as a remembrance of His Blood shed on the cross for the remission of our sins.