Is this proper to ask here? Rosetta Stone offers a Hebrew course

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Would this allow me to understand biblical Hebrew? 
If this is not the proper forum please let me know. Or move it please. Or, if totally inappropriate but someone has an answer PM me? :) Thank you. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,583
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 7/5/2017 at 7:18 PM, PageofGrace said:

Would this allow me to understand biblical Hebrew? 
If this is not the proper forum please let me know. Or move it please. Or, if totally inappropriate but someone has an answer PM me? :) Thank you. 

Shalom, PageofGrace.

I'm not anyone special on this website, but I DO believe that it is a really good thing to learn Hebrew to understand the TANAKH (a Hebrew acronym, T-N-K, for "Torah-Navi'iym-Ketuvah," that is "Instruction-Prophets-Writings," the three parts of Scripture that together mean what we call the "Old Testament."

The only word of caution I would suggest is to understand that Jewish people do NOT believe that Yeshua` is the Messiah of God. They are BLIND to their only Hope! That being said, when learning Hebrew, don't be taken in by their theology. It's incomplete without God's Messiah. Mind you, much of what they have to say about God and His love is true, but they stumble when it comes to the Son of God.

Focus on the Hebrew itself, particularly the grammar. The vocabulary will come with time. Besides, Christian study helps are REPLETE with vocabulary listings. However, they are notoriously weak in grammar! Every noun and every VERB have gender and number and they must agree within the sentence.

Hebrew is a "resurrected language." That is, at one time, it was considered "dead." A "dead language" is "a language no longer in everyday spoken use, such as Latin." It was used in Jewish liturgy, but not conversationally. But, thanks to Eliezer Ben-Yehuda, the language was revived for daily use in the new nation of Israel after it was accepted by the British Mandate for Palestine:

The revival of the Hebrew language was led by Eliezer Ben-Yehuda in the late 19th century and early 20th century. Modern Hebrew used Biblical Hebrew morphemes, Mishnaic spelling, and Sephardic pronunciation. Idioms and calques were made from Yiddish. Its acceptance by the early Jewish immigrants to Ottoman Palestinewas primarily due to support from the organisations of Edmond James de Rothschild in the 1880s and the official status it received in the 1922 constitution of the British Mandate for Palestine.[13][14][15][16] Ben-Yehuda used a stock of 8,000 words from the Bible and 20,000 words from rabbinical commentaries and codified and planned the new language, Modern Hebrew.[17] Some words he invented, such as ḥatzilīm for eggplants (aubergines) and ḥashmal for electricity.[18] Sometimes, old Hebrew words took on different meanings altogether. For example, the Hebrew word kǝvīš (Hebrew: כביש‎), which now denotes a "street" or a "road," is actually an Aramaic adjective meaning "trodden down; blazoned", rather than a common noun. It was originally used to describe "a blazoned trail."[19] For a simple comparison between the Sephardic version of Mishnaic Hebrew and the Yemenite version of the same, see Yemenite Hebrew.

For more, see Wikipedia on Modern Hebrew.

Rosetta Stone is one of many companies that can teach you modern Hebrew. Anyone who is fluent in modern Hebrew is likely to have Jewish background and therefore will have an emphasis on Biblical Hebrew. They are, after all, the "People of the Book." And, Paul said,

Romans 3:1-2
1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles (Greek: logia = "utterances") of God.
KJV

So, I would ENCOURAGE you to use whatever is available to you to learn the language. You might see if there's a Messianic Synagogue in your area that has Hebrew classes. That way, you get a Messianic viewpoint, rather than a Jewish viewpoint, on the language. Messianic Jews are Jews who accept Yeshua` (Jesus) as their Messiah.