• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/27/1975

That is one thing I love about my new car. 55 Highway and 60 town MPG makes so I fill my car once every two months.

Reb, I'm all for driving what you choose but it makes little sense to whine if you buy a gas guzzling monster and then can't afford to drive it.

I certainly hope your comment about seatbelts wasn't to discourage seatbelt use. I have a friend who wouldn't be alive today had he not been wearing his seatbelt. 90% of the time seatbelts do save lives. However I do object to seatbelt laws, which I think are a violation of personal liberty.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  279
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/30/1965

That is one thing I love about my new car. 55 Highway and 60 town MPG makes so I fill my car once every two months.

I want one of those. What kind of car is that? Can you fit 3 kids in it? Sure you're not riding a motorcycle? I've considered it.

Toyota Prius.

Paid about 22k for it (Before taxes ect).

Has even better power than my wife's old Chevy Prism and gets more than twice the mileage. Best of all it will fit 3 kids no problem as long as they aren't in car seats still. It might still be doable with car seats but it would be a tight fit. We can fit in two car seats with no problem.

Other thing that is nice is that it isn't a sub-compact like a lot of the other high mileage cars, it's actually a bit larger than our Subaru Impreza. I would Classify it as a small-mid size hatchback.

What are you driving now?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

*sigh*

First off, a Toyota, Saturn, Honda, or Volvo are all safter than any Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.

Secondly, hybrid cars might cause an adverse effect on gas prices. If enough people buy them this means that income for gas stores will be slower meaning they will be more likely to run lower on money. It could actually cause a gas hike from the companies. Finally, we need to investigate the gas companies here in the US, not worry about oil prices. All of the prices are the same in certain areas, on top of that, oil prices per barrel were only slightly lower in 1990 then they are now...yet there is over a $1.00 difference per gallon, now why is that?

Oh, and also, i would trust Honda's hybrid technology over Toyotas anyday. For one, Honda bought the rights from GM to use GM technology on their engines. The significance in this is that GM came out with the first hybrid car (via Saturn) in 1995 and have been perfecting the hybrid engine all this time. Honda bought this technology and used their own as well...Toyota has started theirs from scratch...

Highest Oil Price in 1990 was $38.19 with an average price for the year of around $22.00.

Compare that with the average price in 2004 to be well over $40.00. Gas should actually be at least double 1990 pricing.

Now factor in Refinery Demand, Special gas Blend requirements due to regulations, and demand from China.

That is why gas is expensive and why it's $1.00 per gallon more.

BTW, Ford is licensing the Toyota Hybrid System for use in a couple upcoming hybrids and Toyota has consistently beat out Honda in both sales and performance reviews of their hybrids. Not to mention Toyota has been working on hybrid technology since 1991 in Japan and only recently brought it to the states.

They are currently the only one with family size hybrids on the market. (The civic is just to small on interior room, I know I checked it out when I bought mine). As yes I know about the Accord Hybrid, but good luck finding one for at least two years, and gas mileage is less than stellar on it. Their production run is already sold out and there is a long waiting list.

Since the Prius has been out for 4 years (in the US) now and has a production run of 160,000+ they are more available.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

I said slighly lower...$38 compared to $40 is slightly lower.

Anyway, what reviews are you reading? Almost every review I have read places Honda ahead with better hybrid technology (considering their current hybrids get near 65mpg and their future ones are expected to get around 80mpg). Toyota does have Honda beat in size and availability...but knowing Honda Toyota wont' have them cornered that long.

Guest Thomas I believe

Hey everyone for kicks and giggles do a google search on sand oil in Alberta. Very interesting on how they are extracting oil from sand. Well grass pellets seem a lot more ecologicaly sound and cheaper....

SJ, as far as the Oil price looking at the highest price of the year does no good really. Looking at an AVERAGE price however is a much better judge. Average price of $22 in 1990 and average price in 2004 (finally found it) of $38.47 is almost double the price. By simple math it should at the very least be almost double the price. Account for inflation of 18% and bam you have $2.10 gas.

$38.47 is 75% more than $22

1.75 x $1.00 gas in 1990 is $1.75 + 18% inflation = $2.065 per gallon.

Now account for higher emissions requirements, China, and Refinery Capacity. Where should gas really be?

When it comes to hybrids, I've done a lot of reading of customer reviews, comments, and car magazine reviews on both the Honda and the Toyota designs.

Couple that with the fact that the Toyota does get better mileage than the Civic Hybrid (60/51 city/highway vs 47/48), has a better powertrain warranty and when I drove it the Toyota just felt peppier and had more room in both the front and back seats.

Being a Subaru Driver for the last 10 years I wasn't stuck on either but overall in my opinion the Prius was just a better deal.