• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

When was the last time a Muslim visited a pentecostal or charismatic service and came to Jesus because he/she heard the Gospel being preached when people were speaking in languages unknown to them?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

49 minutes ago, Daniel Marsh said:

Limiting chaos to a time period of the service is still chaos. 

Applying the following to many "dead" denominational liberal and Spirit-less churches, it is easier to cool down a fanatic than to warm up a corpse!

46 minutes ago, Daniel Marsh said:

When was the last time a Muslim visited a pentecostal or charismatic service and came to Jesus because he/she heard the Gospel being preached when people were speaking in languages unknown to them?

When I first went to the most Pentecostal or AOG churches, although I heard many praying in tongues during worship times, I never saw anyone get up and address the people in tongues.  When it came time for the preaching, the pastor preached a clear gospel message, and as a result of that clear gospel message, I received Christ as my Saviour.   In all my time with Pentecostal groups, I have never witnessed anyone getting up and preaching in tongues.  That would never have been accepted in any Pentecostal churches I know of, even in the most wacky ones.   So, your "muslim" excuse is nowhere near realistic.

Why don't you just accept that speaking in tongues is just not your "cup of tea", like my wife's attitude to it, instead of teaching others to avoid it?

On 5/1/2020 at 8:02 PM, Paul James said:

When I first went to the most Pentecostal or AOG churches, although I heard many praying in tongues during worship times, I never saw anyone get up and address the people in tongues.  When it came time for the preaching, the pastor preached a clear gospel message, and as a result of that clear gospel message, I received Christ as my Saviour.   In all my time with Pentecostal groups, I have never witnessed anyone getting up and preaching in tongues.  That would never have been accepted in any Pentecostal churches I know of, even in the most wacky ones.   So, your "muslim" excuse is nowhere near realistic.

Why don't you just accept that speaking in tongues is just not your "cup of tea", like my wife's attitude to it, instead of teaching others to avoid it?

I already responded to this, where did it go?

As Christians, we are to grow in serving others.   In my experience, those who stay with the lowest gift, does not grow.

2 hours ago, Daniel Marsh said:

I already responded to this, where did it go?

As Christians, we are to grow in serving others.   In my experience, those who stay with the lowest gift, does not grow.

Well, if you think tongues is the lowest gift, then don't ask for it, but don't block others through false Cessationist teaching otherwise you might find yourself contending with the Holy Spirit.

16 hours ago, Paul James said:

Well, if you think tongues is the lowest gift, then don't ask for it, but don't block others through false Cessationist teaching otherwise you might find yourself contending with the Holy Spirit.

To my knowledge,  I have not used Cessationist teachings because I am not one.     

Please show from their websites where the wording of my positions is theirs. 

If they are emphasizing serving others, maybe  I should read their stuff sometime.   

Thanks,

Daniel

On 5/1/2020 at 8:02 PM, Paul James said:

When was the last time a Muslim visited a pentecostal or charismatic service and came to Jesus because he/she heard the Gospel being preached when people were speaking in languages unknown to them?  is still a valid question.

The people in Acts 2, heard people speaking in their own languages and as a result heard the gospel.

Edited by Daniel Marsh

4 hours ago, Daniel Marsh said:

To my knowledge,  I have not used Cessationist teachings because I am not one.     

Please show from their websites where the wording of my positions is theirs. 

If they are emphasizing serving others, maybe  I should read their stuff sometime.   

Thanks,

Daniel

If that is so, I have misunderstood you.   It appears that you don't believe that receiving the gift of tongues in any form is God's will for you.  That's okay.  I'm not here to persuade people to receive the gift if they don't believe it is God's will for them.  I would be wasting my time.  All I can do is to explain what it is, and how it can effectively be used today to enhance a person's prayer life, and as a ministry in the church.

• Praise God! 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Marsh said:

When was the last time a Muslim visited a pentecostal or charismatic service and came to Jesus because he/she heard the Gospel being preached when people were speaking in languages unknown to them?  is still a valid question.

The people in Acts 2, heard people speaking in their own languages and as a result heard the gospel.

You see, there is a difference between saying that the gift of tongues is not for you because you don't believe it is God's will for you;  and teaching others that it shouldn't be God's will for them.  If you are doing this, then you are treading on dangerous ground, because you are telling people not to receive a gift that God may very well be intending to give;  and by giving teaching against tongues, you can corrupt a person's faith so that God's desire to give them the gift is frustrated.   Paul warned people not to be many teachers, because at the judgment, the judgment on teachers will be much stricter, because giving teaching to others bears a much greater responsibility than just stating a personal opinion.   I think that God is very unhappy with those who frustrate His grace in the gifts and blessings He intends to give to those who seek Him.

If one desires to serve others they should seek one or more of the gifts.     If you want to grow go beyond tongues.