How to discern the voice of God

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Father in the name of Jesus I pray that you open our spiritual ears, eyes, mind, and heart to be receptive of when and how you speak to us Amen

The Bible is filled with the various ways our Lord speaks to us from Genesis to Revelation. He spoke to Adam and is still speaking until this very hour. 

What some of us need is a little help in discerning some of the ways our Lord speaks to us, but, it's going to take commitment, patience, and time, as well as praying, and studying God's Word. (2 Timothy 2: 15,16 )                                       

Also, We can't make demands on the Lord, but we can ask, seek, and knock and the Lord has promised to open the door for us, if we humbly seek  him but, the timing is in the Lord's hands.

So, how do we know if were hearing the voice of the Lord or not ? Here are some of the ways that the Lord has spoken to me but, we must remember that this is how the Lord spoke to me, and is not the only way our Lord speaks to his people.

The Holy Spirit plays a vital role by speaking and leading us in the right direction. Howbeit, when he the Spirit of Truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. He shall glorify me ( Jesus Christ), for he shall receive of mine, and show it unto you ( John 16: 13,14). The Holy Spirit will speak to us with his loving, quiet, still small voice through our thoughts, through our spirit such as a tug for us to go to the right or left, a peace in our spirit, and restlessness that this is not the will of the Lord ( 1 Kings 19:11,12 and Rev. 3: 7,8).

Our Lord also speaks to us through visions and dreams ( Acts 2:17 and Rev. 3: 7,8 ). The Lord has given me visions and many, many dreams. Sometime he will reveal the vision or dream to me and at other times he will only give me one piece of the puzzle over time and at other times he simply will not reveal anything. This is where it's a good idea to seek the Lord even more and to keep a journal of what the Lord has shown you.

The Lord also speaks to us through the circumstances that occurs in our lives whether good or some kind of tribulation. Such as convicting us of the sin in our lives ( John 16: 8,9 ).

Also the Lord will speak to us using other people. It may come in the form of conformation, encouragement, reproof, or a warning. No matter who brings the word, always remember to make sure that what ever is said it lines up with the Word of God ( 1 John 4:1).

We must also understand that there are other voices speaking to us. The voice of our own human desires and the devil. The devil sometimes speaks to us by bringing impressions to our minds. His voice is always urgent and insistent trying to get us to hurry and make the wrong choice but, the Lord's voice is loving, quiet, and is always consistent with his word ( John 10:3 and 10:27 ) ; ( Rev. 3:20 ).

We need to try and understand that its going to take time, commitment, and patience on our part by praying and reading the Word of God then we will be able to discern the voice of the Lord as he draws us closer and closer to him. Amen

Father in the name of Jesus I pray that if there is anyone who is reading this who is not saved I ask that you repeat this prayer or one similar to it. Lord I ask that you forgive me of my sins. I believe that you died on the cross for my sins, was resurrected on the third day, and now sits on the right hand of God. I here and now ask you to be the Lord and Savior of my life. I thank you in Jesus name. Amen and Amen

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Great Post tyke:

John 3:8, The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

John 6:44, No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

20 hours ago, tyke said:

What some of us need is a little help in discerning some of the ways our Lord speaks to us, but, it's going to take commitment, patience, and time, as well as praying, and studying God's Word. (2 Timothy 2: 15,16 )                                       

Also, We can't make demands on the Lord, but we can ask, seek, and knock and the Lord has promised to open the door for us, if we humbly seek  him but, the timing is in the Lord's hands.

So, how do we know if were hearing the voice of the Lord or not ?

The one thing Jesus lamented about and stated in Scripture is missing here (actually 2 things).

(1)  As Jesus said over Jerusalem,  if only you had been WILLING ....... then I would have saved you.

(2) As Jesus tells everyone coming to Him "you must be born again".

Everyone else might have humongous amounts of "commitment, patience, and time, as well as praying, and studying God's Word (2 Timothy 2: 15,16) ,

without ever knowing Jesus or being born again.:    without ever being willing, as Jesus says often.

Finally, certainly,  without change "MY SHEEP KNOW MY VOICE, and FOLLOW ME"  they will not follow another.

Sheep are dumb animals. 

WHO they follow makes all the difference where they end up.