• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,624
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

https://americanenglish.state.gov/files/ae/resource_files/1-the_gift_of_the_magi_0.pdf

I have read it a few times, more than few. I always remember the first time which was at the command of my seventh grade English teacher.  The written report  I offered up for grading gained me an F. For I concluded the couple were dolts, that had not even learned to talk to each other, and therefore were doomed to a bad marriage. Seems that was not the interpretation favored by her about the Christmas tale. Scarred me for life. Well not really.

Anyway;  what of the tale and of O Henry, how is it they ( this couple) are the magi? I had a little trouble back then concentrating on things of the sort. I got hung up  on "O Henry", thinking it a candy bar, and an odd looking cartoon boy in the Sunday papers.

Conclusionary Excerpt  from the story;

" The magi, as you know, were wise men—wonderfully wise men— who brought gifts to the newborn Christ-child. They were the first to give Christmas gifts. Being wise, their gifts were doubtless wise ones. And here I have told you the story of two children who were not wise. Each sold the most valuable thing he owned in order to buy a gift for the other. But let me speak a last word to the wise of these days: Of all who give gifts, these two were the most wise. Of all who give and receive gifts, such as they are the most wise. Everywhere they are the wise ones. They are the magi. "

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  328
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/27/1957

Thank you for that, Neighbor.

I hadn't heard that story before.
Such strange things you have in your state.gov files.

I believe the Bible tells why all the gift giving.
Is due to the testimonies of Moses and Jesus.

And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another;
because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

Revelation 11:10

Christ mass is the Father's sabbath, and must be hallowed.
Or Father Christ mass doesn't leave a gift under our tree of life.

That's what the Christmas story is saying to me.
And everyone is doing it wrong, gifting each other instead of God.
And it's become a big commercial thing, and an excuse to over indulge. 

Even so, praise JESUS :emot-heartbeat:
Paul

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,624
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hello down under,

I have an uncle that likes to read that aloud to us  at Christmas. He can't finish the story without crying. Someone has to finish the tale for him. He has a "tender heart".

Me, I still see in that tale a chopped haired woman and a man with  no watch, both having messed up by not communicating well.

That, "Surprise honey!" moment that goes wrong.

Kinda like when the wife buys a Hobie Cat as an surprise extravagance for her husband, and the husband buys her a surprise new car, both  thinking to use the same reserve cash to pay for it when the credit card bill comes in. Oops! Monthly payments anyone?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

I think O Henry's point was that they loved each other so much, they each sacrificed their greatest treasure to get something wonderful for the other. (Personally, I think they should see if they can return the gifts, then use the money to get something for both of them together. Or else save the money.)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  328
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/27/1957

Thank you, Neighbor, thank you Sheya. They each sacrificed their greatest treasure, but in the end the treasures didn't matter, because they each discovered how much the other loved them, and a happier Christmas couldn't be had. Is what I got. Paul.