• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Minto fired over gibes

By Tony LaRussa

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Pittsburgh talk-radio host Marty Minto says he spent most of his time on the air last week doing what he always does -- discussing current events from the perspective of an evangelical Christian.

Following a week's worth of conversation on his WORD-101.5 FM show that questioned whether Pope John Paul II's Roman Catholic beliefs could be an impediment to entering heaven, station management pulled the plug.

Minto was fired Friday, ending a three-year stint as host of the radio station's only locally produced show, which aired from 3 to 6 p.m. weekdays.

"I was called into the office after my show Friday and told that I was being let go because I was alienating the listeners," said Minto, 39, of New Castle, Lawrence County, who previously did talk-radio shows in Albany, N.Y., Phoenix and Denver. Minto also is senior pastor of the 100-member Turning Point Community Church in New Castle.

"As far as I'm concerned, I was doing what I've always done on the radio -- look at events around the world from a biblical perspective," said Minto. "I've always been willing to talk about controversial subjects."

Chuck Gratner, general manager of WORD-FM for the past 14 years, said the station does not dispute Minto's account of events.

"We ended our relationship" with him because of differences in how he conducted his show, Gratner said.

"WORD-FM needs to function in this city in support of the entire church -- that means everybody -- and not focus on denominational issues," he said.

Minto's time slot is being filled on an interim basis by Chris Buda, who did the show before Minto was hired.

"We are currently examining what would be the best use for that time slot," Gratner said. "No decisions have been made."

During the week in which the news was dominated by the death and funeral of the pope, Minto discussed with callers John Paul II's deep devotion to Mary, the mother of Jesus, and Catholic beliefs, such as purgatory.

"I made it clear that the discussion was not an attack on the character of the pope but, rather, a look at the teachings -- not only of John Paul, but the Catholic Church in general," Minto said.

Minto said he responded to a question about whether the pope would go to heaven with the belief held by many evangelical Christians that a person must be "a born-again believer."

"I said the question of whether a person is born again is something personal, something between an individual and the Creator," Minto said. "I believe it was a legitimate topic to discuss."

The Rev. Ron Lengwin, spokesman for the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh, said the diocese did not complain to WORD-FM regarding Minto's show. He said station management contacted the diocese to say that Minto had been fired.

WORD-FM and its sister station WPIT-730 AM are owned by Camarillo, Calif.-based Salem Communications, which owns 95 Christian-oriented stations in the United States.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

List of people that should not be spoken against

George Bush

The Pope

Fluffy

:(

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

And u guys remember the Joel add that one to the List :wub:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

What a travesty of JUSTICE...when the TRUTH gets you fired!

At least Marty Minto can stand before God with a clear conscience one day. :wub:

"But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons..." 1 Timothy 4:1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

But if he just kept his mouth shut, there is no way of knowing if he was or if he wasn't saved, there was nothing he did that proves he wasn't saved, just like there is no proof that he is saved.

We have no right to judge this man Saved or not saved. And what if the Pope is saved? :wub: Then what? It was all done in vein, and we lost a crowed who could had been evantually christians, I wish sometimes we would just keep our mouths shut :wub:

Matthew 7:1, "Judge not that ye be not judged."

Guest Bro David™
But if he just kept his mouth shut, there is no way of knowing if he was or if he wasn't saved, there was nothing he did that proves he wasn't saved, just like there is no proof that he is saved.

We have no right to judge this man Saved or not saved. And what if the Pope is saved? :wub: Then what? It was all done in vein, and we lost a crowed who could had been evantually christians, I wish sometimes we would just keep our mouths shut  :taped:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:wub:

One point needs to be clarified here.

The title of the thread and the context of the article are somewhat different.

The thread implies that Brother Minto "judged" the Popes eternal destiny, which IF he did, is WRONG.

The article did not say that. The portion of the article that addressed the question of the Pope's salvation said:

Minto said he responded to a question about whether the pope would go to heaven with the belief held by many evangelical Christians that a person must be "a born-again believer."

"I said the question of whether a person is born again is something personal, something between an individual and the Creator," Minto said. "I believe it was a legitimate topic to discuss."

I find no fault in what brother Minto said as this article reports it.

From the sound of it, Brother Minto was fired out of a proactive concern that the listening Catholic audience would be offended. The TRUTH does offend, doesn't it?

Be Blessed,

Wayne

We have no right to judge this man Saved or not saved.

I saw nothing in the article to reflect he was judged by brother Mintos as saved or not. What I read was TRUTH in what one must do to be saved... just as Jesus told Nicodemus. What's wrong with that? :wub:

Have I missed something? :wub:

Guest Bro David™

Matthew 7:1, "Judge not that ye be not judged."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Matthew 7:1, "Judge not that ye be not judged." :wub: