Aida

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Will someone explain to me what the "Charismatic Movement" is? I have heard this term before (and may already know some of what it means), but I am not sure of the exact definition or what it stands for. :thumbsup:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a search and found this. It is rather interesting...take the time to read through please. I learned a lot from it.

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Psychology/char/

Guest Enchiridion

Someone please correct me if I am wrong in this conclusion, but I have encountered people who maintain that if you don't speak in tongues, you aren't really in the Spirit and are somehow less than "worthy."

In conversing with people of these beliefs, I have yet to find a satisfactory response to my questions regarding Paul's admonition in

1CO 14:1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. 3 But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

1CO 14:6 Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.

and

1CO 14:18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

and

1CO 14:26 What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two--or at the most three--should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

It has always seemed to me that too much emphasis is put on the one spiritual gift that comes with a caveat.

Can anyone enlighten me further?

Enchiridion

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The difficult part about explaining this is such:

Paul was instructing the Corinthians with regards to their misuse of the gift of tongues.

This passage was not meant to be an "Introductory instruction on tongues."

The Introductory instruction, I am sure, came to them verbally on the on-set of their having received the Holy Spirit.

So, those who do not speak in tongues look at this passage and develop a theology about tongues without necessarily understanding the gift.

Tongues is an awesome gift to have! :emot-questioned:

Even Paul loved his gift:

1Cor. 14:18 - I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.

Now, I'm not going to base spirituality on whether or not one has this gift.

Though I will say I believe those who do not are missing out, as it has definantly benefitted my spiritual life (long story - or too many stories!).

Emphasis, I believe, tends to fall on tongues because:

a) It was the first gift manifested on the disciples

b) Other times in Acts when the Holy Spirit fell on people it was the first gift they manifested. (i.e. Acts 10:44-46 - 44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.)

c) It is the easiest of gifts to practice for the mind can't get in the way. (LOL!)

Paul was instructing the Corinthians with regards to their misuse of the gift of tongues.

The Introductory instruction, I am sure, came to them verbally on the on-set of their having received the Holy Spirit.

So, those who do not speak in tongues look at this passage and develop a theology about tongues without necessarily understanding the gift.

Though I will say I believe those who do not are missing out, as it has definantly benefitted my spiritual life (long story - or too many stories!).

b) Other times in Acts when the Holy Spirit fell on people it was the first gift they manifested.  (i.e. Acts 10:44-46  - 44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.)

c) It is the easiest of gifts to practice for the mind can't get in the way. (LOL!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not have my Bible in front of me...but I believe that 1 Corinthians 13:8 says something about that the gifts will cease???

b) Other times in Acts when the Holy Spirit fell on people it was the first gift they manifested.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yes - they will cease.

But not yet!

We still need them - Cannonised Bible or not.

This world is still in need of the power of God manifested in the sons of God!

(Try going toe-to-toe with witch doctors, like many third world country missionaries have to, without the gifts of the Spirit!)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Tongues is an awesome gift to have! :cool:

I just which that people would finish this verse or never use it again. You are taking Paul's words, cutting out one excerpt, and twisting what he has written.

1. Tongues simply means "language" If you deny that, you are denying a basic truth.

2. Paul didn't practice speaking in languages in church (that is what the chapter is about).

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

Tongues is an awesome gift to have! :cool:

I just which that people would finish this verse or never use it again. You are taking Paul's words, cutting out one excerpt, and twisting what he has written.

1. Tongues simply means "language" If you deny that, you are denying a basic truth.

2. Paul didn't practice speaking in languages in church (that is what the chapter is about).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jer!!! Long time no see brother... Great to see you back!!!!!!

God Bless,

Dave