• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Then I do not understand your reasoning, Big Jer.....you are contradicting your self from what I gather.....Paul agreed with "Tongues"....it was obvious!!

In fact he thanked God for it!

Why would he thank God for languages????

(I may not make sense....but your reasoning does bring up some serious questioning, and I may not have the ability to ask them correctly....however.....I hope you do get the gist of what I am trying to say) :cool:

Yomo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Then I do not understand your reasoning, Big Jer.....you are contradicting your self from what I gather.....Paul agreed with "Tongues"....it was obvious!!

In fact he thanked God for it!

Why would he thank God for languages????

(I may not make sense....but your reasoning does bring up some serious questioning, and I may not  have the ability to ask them correctly....however.....I hope you do get the gist of what I am trying to say) :thumbsup:

Yomo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two possibilities exist in my small mind:

1. Paul was a VERY educated man and very well could have learned several languages. For a man who was called to go to the Gentiles, this would have been something to thank God for.

2. If he was given the "gift" of tongues, or speaking in an unlearned language, he chose to speak in a language that people understood. THAT is what he went on to say in the particial verse quote above.

Here is the full context of what Paul said:

I Co 14:18-19 "I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue."

Simple. Paul was saying to the church, "Speak in a language others will understand and can be edified with."

Dave, Hi Bro! Good seeing your fonts 2!

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  172
  • Birthday:  01/13/1982

Tongue must be interpreted if there is someone that does not understand what someone is saying in tongues. Also, if there is someone there that does not understand tongues it is best not to use them.

Edited by J.C.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

"Charismatic" and "Pentecostal" are essentially the same thing. The biggest thing that distinguishes them from the rest of christianity is that we believe in the whole Bible, and believe, and know, that "Tongues"(Acts 2:4, et. al.) and certain other manifestations of the Holy Spirit's power and indwelling are for today, and not just the time of the Apostles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent explanation WSB..Right On! :)

I see the use of tongues designed more to bridge the gap of communication than to confuse. See Acts 2. They understood what was being said in their own home language. They knew they were giving praises to God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

What you guys who do not have this gift do not understand is what it is like to have this gift.

Sure, I know better than to stand up in the middle of the church service and speak my tongue to the congregation. That is completely out of line.

However, when I am in a group praying, we tend to agree in prayer through praying with our tongue. We don't pray this way to supercede the person praying out in English, we are praying with the person, and the person knows this.

When someone is praying over me, and the person is praying in tongues, it doesn't bother me that I do not understand what is being said, for I know the Spirit is praying through the person. I only need to hear the words in my own language when the Lord has a message to give me through the other person (prophecying), which does happen as well.

Though it probably makes more sense and is more comfortable when you speak in tongues yourself and understand what it is like to have the prayer in tongues just well up from your spirit.

Guest TimPrice

Aida,

The charismatic movement is a movement that has brought the gift of the spirit, noted in 1st Corinthians 14 and 12:28. These gifts include: Speaking in languages you have nto learn (speaking in tongues), interpreting tougues (giving the english equivelant), prophesying, miracles, gifts of healing, the gift of exhortation....

It is not together an entirely recent movement, there have been group down through history that have had these types of giftings active. However, since the late 1800's with the Christian Missionary Alliance under the leadership of A.B Simpson and the Azuza Street rivals in California in the early 1900's with Aimee Simpel McPherson and what has come to be know as the Four Square Church there have been a plethora of offshoot groups such as Pentecostals, Assembly of God and groups like the Vineyard chruches....

Hope this helps.

Tim Price

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thank you TimPrice for the info! :thumbsup:

Aida,

The charismatic movement is a movement that has brought the gift of the spirit, noted in 1st Corinthians 14 and 12:28.  These gifts include: Speaking in languages you have nto learn (speaking in tongues), interpreting tougues (giving the english equivelant), prophesying, miracles, gifts of healing, the gift of exhortation....

It is not together an entirely recent movement, there have been group down through history that have had these types of giftings active.  However, since the late 1800's with the Christian Missionary Alliance under the leadership of A.B Simpson and the Azuza Street rivals in California in the early 1900's with Aimee Simpel McPherson and what has come to be know as the Four Square Church there have been a plethora of offshoot groups such as Pentecostals, Assembly of God and groups like the Vineyard chruches....

Hope this helps.

Tim Price

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  172
  • Birthday:  01/13/1982

Here is some fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

When you are indwelled by the Holly Spirit, when you become a Christian, you recieve these.

Here is some fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Gal 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Gal 5:23  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

When you are indwelled by the Holly Spirit, when you become a Christian, you recieve these.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good post. We focus on the "gifts" so much, we forget the "fruit" of the Spirit.