• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  5

‘For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: 
for necessity is laid upon me; 
yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: 
but if against my will, 
a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
What is my reward then? 
Verily that, when I preach the gospel, 
I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, 
that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
For though I be free from all men, 
yet have I made myself servant unto all, 
that I might gain the more.’

(1 Cor. 9:16-19) 

Praise God!

* This wonderful spirit manifested by Paul is the only spirit in which the gospel should be preached, don't you agree?

* This 'dispensation' or 'administration', committed to Paul was binding upon him.  He was bound in the Spirit to accomplish it, for  it was no self-chosen appointment.  

* Peter also manifested the same spirit, in (1 Pet. 5:2-4) :-

‘Feed the flock of God which is among you, 
taking the oversight thereof, 

.. not by constraint, - but willingly; 
.... not for filthy lucre, - but of a ready mind;
....... Neither as being lords over God's heritage, - but being ensamples to the flock.
And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, 
ye shall receive a crown of glory 
that fadeth not away.’ 

* This was not the only 'dispensation' or 'administration' committed to Paul, was it? (see Ephesians 3:2-9 and Colossians 1:24-29), carried out with the same spirit, to the glory of God the Father, in Christ Jesus the Lord, by the power of Spirit of God (Titus 1:3).

Praise God!

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.31
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Sister throw those hands up and praise the LORD .    you loved sister .    I would have thought many would have been so happy to hear this .     You loved sister .

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, Christine said:

‘For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: 
for necessity is laid upon me; 
yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: 
but if against my will, 
a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
What is my reward then? 
Verily that, when I preach the gospel, 
I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, 
that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
For though I be free from all men, 
yet have I made myself servant unto all, 
that I might gain the more.’

(1 Cor. 9:16-19) 

Praise God!

* This wonderful spirit manifested by Paul is the only spirit in which the gospel should be preached, don't you agree?

* This 'dispensation' or 'administration', committed to Paul was binding upon him.  He was bound in the Spirit to accomplish it, for  it was no self-chosen appointment.  

* Peter also manifested the same spirit, in (1 Pet. 5:2-4) :-

‘Feed the flock of God which is among you, 
taking the oversight thereof, 

.. not by constraint, - but willingly; 
.... not for filthy lucre, - but of a ready mind;
....... Neither as being lords over God's heritage, - but being ensamples to the flock.
And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, 
ye shall receive a crown of glory 
that fadeth not away.’ 

* This was not the only 'dispensation' or 'administration' committed to Paul, was it? (see Ephesians 3:2-9 and Colossians 1:24-29), carried out with the same spirit, to the glory of God the Father, in Christ Jesus the Lord, by the power of Spirit of God (Titus 1:3).

Praise God!

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Beautiful

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

I believe those other 'administrations' were part and parcel of the greater administration of the Gospel entrusted to Paul..

Romans 16:25-26 KJV
[25] Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, [26] But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

Do you really, @Yowm?

* Why is that?

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Thank you for your reply, @Yowm,

I have printed it off to ponder on offline, and will come back to you again asap, God willing. 

In Christ Jesus

Chris

18 hours ago, Yowm said:

The 'other administrations' I am referring to are the mysteries which Paul has made known in His Gospel, such as ...

Rom_11:25  For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
Rom_16:25  Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
1Co_15:51  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, (rapture)
Eph_1:9  Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
Eph_3:3  How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph_3:4  Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph_3:9  And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
Eph_5:32  This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
Eph_6:19  And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
Col_1:26  Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
Col_1:27  To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
Col_2:2  That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
Col_4:3  Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:
2Th_2:7  For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
1Ti_3:9  Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
1Ti_3:16  And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

IOW, they can all be summarized in what Paul had revealed through His preaching and writings.

Hello @Yowm,

You made reference to two verses which I referenced at the end of the OP. (Ephesians 3:2-9 and Colossians 1:24-29).  To which I referred because they concerned another dispensation which had been divinely given to Paul to administer as a Steward.  Which, as with 'the dispensation of the gospel', to which Paul refers in 1 Corinthians 9:16-19, was specifically given to Him by God to perform.

You highlighted in red the fact that 'The  Mystery', which was the subject of the 'dispensation' referred to in Eph.3 and Col.1, was received by the Gentiles, to whom it was directed,  through the administration of the gospel of which Paul was a minister, 'according to the gift of God's grace.'

I agree that through that gospel committed to Paul, they received the grace to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour: and thereby entered into the grace of God which made the receipt of the further truth which would be administered by Paul, called, 'the dispensation of the Mystery' possible. However, the knowledge that, 'the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus', was not the subject of, 'the dispensation of the Gospel,' given to Paul to administer and referred to by him in 1 Corinthians 9.  For it was only revealed to Paul when he received, 'the dispensation of the Mystery' referred to by him in Ephesians 3 and Colossians 1; which revelation was given when Paul was imprisoned at the end of the Acts period, and administered through the epistles of Eph. Phil. Col. 1&2 Timothy and Titus.

To not make the distinction between these two very specific dispensations (or administrations, or stewardships) is to  effectively hide from view the truth they contain, and deny the fulness of their application and significance to believers today.

In Christ Jesus

Chris

19 hours ago, Yowm said:

The 'other administrations' I am referring to are the mysteries which Paul has made known in His Gospel, such as ...

Rom_11:25  For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
Rom_16:25  Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
1Co_15:51  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, (rapture)
Eph_1:9  Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
Eph_3:3  How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph_3:4  Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph_3:9  And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
Eph_5:32  This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
Eph_6:19  And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
Col_1:26  Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
Col_1:27  To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
Col_2:2  That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
Col_4:3  Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:
2Th_2:7  For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
1Ti_3:9  Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
1Ti_3:16  And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

IOW, they can all be summarized in what Paul had revealed through His preaching and writings.

@Yowm,

Hello again,

As you have shown there were several 'mysteries' or secrets, made known through Paul.  The making known of mysteries was not exclusively Paul's task, for he says in  (1 Cor 4:1)  'Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.'  To the twelve disciples, 'The Mysteries of the Kingdom' were revealed.  And to the Apostles and Prophets of the New Testament, 'The Mystery of Christ' was made manifest, which though the subject of the writings of the Old Testament Prophets, the prophets themselves were not able to understand, though they searched diligently. It needed to be divinely revealed.

* 'The Mystery' of Ephesians 3 and Colossians 1, was made known to Paul exclusively, having previously been hidden in God since 'before' the foundation of the world, and not the subject either of the Old Testament Prophets or made known to the other apostles and prophets in the New Testament. 

* The Mystery you quote from Romans 16, is not the mystery of Ephesians, which you will see if you take note of what is said in (vv.35-26):-

‘Now to Him that is of power to stablish you 
according to my gospel, 
and the preaching of Jesus Christ, 
according to the revelation of the mystery, 
which was kept secret since the world began
But now is made manifest, 
and by the scriptures of the prophets, 
according to the commandment of the everlasting God, 
made known to all nations for the obedience of faith
:’

(Rom 16:25-26)

* Paul refers to a mystery, 'kept secret since the world began.' (not 'before' as in Ephesians 1:4)  This is 'the mystery of Christ', which had been the subject of Old Testament Prophecy, but revealed to the New Testament Apostles and prophets, including Paul, and referred to by Him in Ephesians 3:4, to legitimatize his further revelation of, 'The Mystery,' given to him alone, which was the subject of verses 6-9.

* In Romans 16:25-26, Paul tells us that the mystery that he refers to in that verse was made manifest 'and by the scriptures of the prophets made known. Which shows that this mystery has to be 'the mystery of Christ', and not, 'The Mystery,' made known to Paul exclusively, and the subject of Ephesians 3, having been 'hid in God' from the  beginning of the world, and not the subject of Old Testament prophecy.  The content of which concerned the, 'unsearchable,' riches of God, in Christ.  Unsearchable, because not previously made known.  

This is difficult to explain, so I hope I have been clear.

In Christ Jesus

Chris

29 minutes ago, Yowm said:

So we have a different view when Paul received his revelation. I believe it was when he was in Arabia...

Galatians 1:15-18 KJV
[15] But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, [16] To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: [17] Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. [18] Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

Because his doctrine received the approval of the other Apostles...

Galatians 2:2,6-9 KJV
[2] And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain. [6] But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me: [7] But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; [8] (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) [9] And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Thank you, @Yowm,

'At midday, O king, 
I saw in the way a light from heaven, 
above the brightness of the sun, 
shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
And when we were all fallen to the earth, 
I heard a voice speaking unto me, 
and saying in the Hebrew tongue, 
“Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 
it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.”

And I said, 
“Who art thou, Lord?” 
And he said, 
“I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
But rise, and stand upon thy feet: 
for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, 
.. to make thee a minister and a witness 
.... both of these things which thou hast seen, 
...... and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
Delivering thee from the people, 
and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
.. To open their eyes, 
.... and to turn them from darkness to light, 
...... and from the power of Satan unto God, 
........ that they may receive forgiveness of sins, 
.......... and inheritance among them which are sanctified 
............ by faith that is in me.’

(Act 26:13-17)  

Praise God!

* I believe that the risen Christ appeared to Paul on more than one occasion, when revelations were given unto Him.  The proof is in the telling, for by comparing the content of the prison epistles with those epistles written during the Acts period you can see the unique content concerning the Church of the One Body of which Christ is the Head which is only found in the prison epistles.  That necessitated a revelation to have taken place, and not earlier than the end of the Acts, because otherwise it would have been reflected in the content of those earlier epistles.  

* A reading of Acts 20 will also be worth comparing with the doctrinal section of the epistle to Ephesians, for when talking to the Ephesian elders Paul lists the doctrines that he had preached to them and there is nothing there to suggest that the revelation had then been given to Paul, for otherwise he could not have said, with all honesty, what he says in (Act 20:27)  'For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.'. For the doctrines of Ephesians and Colossians are notable by their absence.

* Please do not dismiss what I have said out of hand, Yowm, 

* I am feeling very tired at the moment, and may not be taking part on the forum for a while.

* With love to you, Yowm, whose input I value, even though we may not always be in agreement.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

27 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Let me ask you a question, when do you see the Church beginning?

Hello again, @Yowm,

I will answer this when I can.

Love in Christ

Chris

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

7 hours ago, Christine said:

@Yowm,

Hello again,

As you have shown there were several 'mysteries' or secrets, made known through Paul.  The making known of mysteries was not exclusively Paul's task,

Yes thats true, as Paul states His reason for His ministry in 1 Corin 1:17.

"to preach the gospel", and sent by God to do so.

the rest of the "mysteries", all line up behind that one.