• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

6 minutes ago, Willie T said:

You forgot they also add, "unspiritual" and "unsaved."  ;)

Exactly. ;)

I'm inferring that some think I'm going to rot in hell for not trusting the KJV or the NIV, or how about the New World Translation?

The Gospel is not about that.

This article deals with the concept of the inerrancy of English translations of the bible, or lack thereof:

http://www.tentmaker.org/FAQ/forever_eternity.html

Guest shiloh357
45 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Yes it is. :)

No, it is not and you really don't understand Scripture very well.

And one of the frustrations I'm having is having to work with folks who seem to think that if I disagree with their opinion It means I must be either ignorant or stupid. Neither is true. We clearly interpret differently or, more likely, trust different extra-biblical authorities.

But I can't tell you how much prayer and meditation on God's words as well as the authors of the books in the bible really does help.

We believe "differently" because I actually hold to sound doctrine and the teachings of Scripture.   You don't.   You trust in extra-biblical authorities.  I TEST extra-biblical authorities against what the Bible says.   Your view is inferior and lacks knowledge and understanding. 

This is less about interpretation and more about the doctrine of the authority of Scripture.   You seek to diminish the authority of Scripture and by extension, God's authority.   

The Bible says that God has magnified His Word above His Name and that is how much of God's authority the Bible possesses.   God has put all of His authority in His Word and arrogant little men seek to change, it diminish it, deny it's authority, inspiration, inerrancy and infallibility and they do so their own destruction.

Your prayer and meditation is really misguided if it is rooted in the false doctrine you subscribe to, and pretty much a useless and futile activity.   God did not lead you to what you believe.

44 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

So, you don't think we are free to believe what we choose to believe?

You are free to choose what you believe, but that is not the issue, here.  We are in a kingdom, not a democracy.  And God's word isn't smorgasbord where you get to pick and choose according to your taste.

Christians are not free to sit in judgment on the Bible and decide  what parts of the Bible are true and which parts are not based on your subjective whims.  

Clearly we disagree.

Yes, we do.  But the difference is that I don't have to be concerned about having to account to God for believing His Bible  too much.   You will have to account for questioning and contradicting His Word.   I would not want to be in your shoes before the throne.

Guest shiloh357
50 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Yes. And as a matter of fact, it's one of the things I want to ask God, regarding how I "should have" interpreted each and every verse of the hundreds, if not thousands of English translations of the words written by men inspired by God.

Fortunately, there is nothing in the bible about salvation depending on that.

Actually, how a person interprets Scripture and how they handle it,  has a direct bearing on where they spend eternity.   That can be easily proven.  

4 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, it is not and you really don't understand Scripture very well.

We believe "differently" because I actually hold to sound doctrine and the teachings of Scripture.   You don't.   You trust in extra-biblical authorities.  I TEST extra-biblical authorities against what the Bible says.   Your view is inferior and lacks knowledge and understanding. 

This is less about interpretation and more about the doctrine of the authority of Scripture.   You seek to diminish the authority of Scripture and by extension, God's authority.   

The Bible says that God has magnified His Word above His Name and that is how much of God's authority the Bible possesses.   God has put all of His authority in His Word and arrogant little men seek to change, it diminish it, deny it's authority, inspiration, inerrancy and infallibility and they do so their own destruction.

Your prayer and meditation is really misguided if it is rooted in the false doctrine you subscribe to, and pretty much a useless and futile activity.   God did not lead you to what you believe.

You are free to choose what you believe, but that is not the issue, here.  We are in a kingdom, not a democracy.  And God's word isn't smorgasbord where you get to pick and choose according to your taste.

Christians are not free to sit in judgment on the Bible and decide  what parts of the Bible are true and which parts are not based on your subjective whims.  

Yes, we do.  But the difference is that I don't have to be concerned about having to account to God for believing His Bible  too much.   You will have to account for questioning and contradicting His Word.   I would not want to be in your shoes before the throne.

Wow. You're doubling down on it. This is actually very interesting and, truth be told, very instructive for me, regarding debating with you, specifically.

It will be fun to get together in the next age! :)

3 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Actually, how a person interprets Scripture and how they handle it,  has a direct bearing on where they spend eternity.  

How one responds to the gospel determines whether they have eternal life at all. ;)

Guest shiloh357
8 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

How one responds to the gospel determines whether they have eternal life at all. ;)

And how they respond to the Gospel is directly proportionate to their view of the authority of the Bible to tell them they are sinner and need Jesus. 

Just now, shiloh357 said:

And how they respond to the Gospel is directly proportionate to their view of the authority of the Bible to tell them they are sinner and need Jesus. 

Yes, how one responds to the gospel determines whether they have eternal life at all.

Guest shiloh357
5 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Yes, how one responds to the gospel determines whether they have eternal life at all.

I get that.   But how they respond is determined by the weight of authority the Bible has in their eyes.   Many do not feel the Bible has any authority at all and is just a religious book with fables and quaint sayings and maybe some good advice, but it is not authoritative in their eyes to instruct them or tell them about their sin.  

So, how one interprets the Bible and the weight a person gives to the Bible will determine to a large extent what they do with the Gospel.  Interpretation of Scripture and the authority it has in our lives has a direct bearing on salvation.

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I get that.   But how they respond is determined by the weight of authority the Bible has in their eyes.   Many do not feel the Bible has any authority at all and is just a religious book with fables and quaint sayings and maybe some good advice, but it is not authoritative in their eyes to instruct them or tell them about their sin.  

So, how one interprets the Bible and the weight a person gives to the Bible will determine to a large extent what they do with the Gospel.  Interpretation of Scripture and the authority it has in our lives has a direct bearing on salvation.

I know one can be saved by the blood of Christ and His resurrection and never be exposed to a bible. That would include most of the early church. Especially the Gentiles.