• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,939
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

10 hours ago, MeaCulpa3 said:

lots of people turn away from God because He “let them down”. This is usually because these people expected God to do or prevent something, or do things the way they wanted them done, and God didn’t. They set expectations for Him that He didn’t meet. In order to avoid such disappointments in our own lives, we need to stop setting expectations for God and just learn to give it all to Him and trust that He will make something huge out of it.

Hi MeaCulpa, 30 years ago I read Philip Yancey's book "Disappointment With God" and it still comes to mind when unmet expectations of God are under scrutiny. Paul's acceptance of his thorn in the flesh being bearable due to the sufficiency of God's grace is an obvious example to follow for the person struggling to deal with disappointments. Also the example of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane teaches us to opt for God's will over our own, thereby avoiding any "unmet expectation/disappointment with God" crisis. In the days of answer machines my greeting was "It is written 'Call unto me and I will answer you' and we would like to answer you so please leave a message at the tone." (Jer 33:3)

If I have a reasonable expectation of God it is that He will answer me one way or the other.

1855871783_PhilipYancey-DisappointmentWithGod.jpg.dd2cecacb8521e69ca9156dec21e6404.jpg

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/5/2018 at 1:21 AM, Michael37 said:

Hi MeaCulpa, 30 years ago I read Philip Yancey's book "Disappointment With God" and it still comes to mind when unmet expectations of God are under scrutiny. Paul's acceptance of his thorn in the flesh being bearable due to the sufficiency of God's grace is an obvious example to follow for the person struggling to deal with disappointments. Also the example of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane teaches us to opt for God's will over our own, thereby avoiding any "unmet expectation/disappointment with God" crisis. In the days of answer machines my greeting was "It is written 'Call unto me and I will answer you' and we would like to answer you so please leave a message at the tone." (Jer 33:3)

If I have a reasonable expectation of God it is that He will answer me one way or the other.

1855871783_PhilipYancey-DisappointmentWithGod.jpg.dd2cecacb8521e69ca9156dec21e6404.jpg

I might have to check out that book!! Thanks for your thoughtful input. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/5/2018 at 12:42 AM, John_Leung said:

It's through daily fellowship with Him where I realized I need to love Him wholeheartedly and have complete trust in Him. 

Amen. ??