Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,305
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

A man in Germany called the police because a baby squirrel wouldn't leave him alone.  It kept following him.  When the police arrived, the pursuit ended as the baby squirrel laid down and fell asleep.

Apparently baby squirrels that lose their mothers seek a replacement and will zero in on one person.

The baby squirrel is being cared for at an animal rescue center.  Wish I could post a photo...it was adorable sleeping in a blanket!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,305
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

12 hours ago, Cletus said:

your post reminds me of another animal tale I have that I think you will like due to how much you post about animals. 

I came home from work one day and heard a really high pitched sound over and over.  I thought what is that.  I was sleepy due to pushing myself at work that day and working a few extra hours.  I was going to go take a nap and dismissed the high pitched shrieking.  Went in and laid it down, closed my eyes.  the sound would not stop and was to loud for me to sleep.  I went outside in search of the source of this annoyance.  (grrrrr)   nothing was to be seen but i kept zeroing in on the noise until I almost stepped on it.  It was a tiny tiny baby squirrel.  eyes were still closed.  I picked it up and it quit making this noise. I thought this thing can make all that racket?  I looked up in this huge pine tree that is taller than most in my area. I saw a squirrel nest way way up and thought wow, you survived that fall?  so I took it inside and tried to put it in a box, it started to make the noise again.  (oh c'mon man, dont do me like that)  I picked it up and thought little human babies got to eat every so many hours.  I spoke to this lady who was at the home church i went to because she was older and already raised three kids and at that time i had zero kids, so i was out of my element.  She just so happened to have a friend of hers that they were close, praying and eating lunch often together that was involved in animal rescue and worked with animals in her past.  she was very knowledgeable.    she told me what to feed it, how to feed it and how often... every 2-4 hours at he longest.  I thought this little guy is gonna die if i cant find anyone to help me take care of it because i got to work, and i cant be doing all this.  So i thought about seeing if i could reunite it with its mother.  I set the baby on the ground and it started shrieking again.  Momma came quick.  I have never seen a squirrel so mad.  She was up on a power line next to the tree.  If she was any lower i believe she would have jumped at my face.  I picked up the baby and hung it by its claws on the pine tree bark.  no sooner than i stepped off, maybe five- six feet I heard the sound of momma jumping and landing on the tree and scurrying up the tree. 

That is a really cute and funny story!  Glad they were reunited!

When I was a kid in PA, I would feed a squirrel peanuts while sitting on my front steps.  One day he jumped up on my arm, climbed all the way around my back shoulders and then made his way down the other arm!  When he got to my hand, I freaked out and shook my hand...so he jumped off leaving a small scratch.   My fault for shaking my hand...  Went upstairs and mom put iodine on the scratch, but in my little child's mind, I was wondering if it had rabies!  I didn't know the signs of a rabid animal back then!