IGNORED

Can someone help me?

Guest looking4something

Guest looking4something

I have a situation with a former co-worker of mine. About a couple of months ago, she was baptized, but I don't really think she knows why she did it. The Sunday before then, she walked up to the front of the church, and she told everybody that she wanted to "rejoin the church." But I told her, and I'm still telling her, that joining or rejoining a church is not her way to salvation. And I thought that she would know better since her father was a minister before he passed away. I told her that her way to salvation was through accepting Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior, but for some reason I still don't think she truly gets it.

The reason why I say this is because she's told me on a number of occasions that she's been asking God, "Please don't send me to hell." So I asked her yesterday, "Do you believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins?" and she replied, "Yes." Then I asked her, "Do you believe that God raised Him from the dead?" She said again, "Yes." I asked her again, "Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?" and she said, "Yes," again. Then she turned right around and said, "I hope I don't go to hell." Can someone who is a lot more mature in Christ than I am give me some advice about what I should say to her so she can put her mind at ease?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I have a situation with a former co-worker of mine.  About a couple of months ago, she was baptized, but I don't really think she knows why she did it.  The Sunday before then, she walked up to the front of the church, and she told everybody that she wanted to "rejoin the church."  But I told her, and I'm still telling her, that joining or rejoining a church is not her way to salvation.  And I thought that she would know better since her father was a minister before he passed away.  I told her that her way to salvation was through accepting Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior, but for some reason I still don't think she truly gets it. 

The reason why I say this is because she's told me on a number of occasions that she's been asking God, "Please don't send me to hell."  So I asked her yesterday, "Do you believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins?" and she replied, "Yes."  Then I asked her, "Do you believe that God raised Him from the dead?" She said again, "Yes."  I asked her again, "Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?" and she said, "Yes," again.  Then she turned right around and said, "I hope I don't go to hell."  Can someone who is a lot more mature in Christ than I am give me some advice about what I should say to her so she can put her mind at ease?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me know too. Sometimes my mind is stronger than my faith and I hate that :62_62:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

One more question to ask did she ask Jesus to forgive her of her sin, and repent from them?

Give her these scriptures.

2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Most of the time it is because we do not have any ideal of the righteousness we have imputed to us.

I don't know how many times I have heard people say, I am a sinner saved by grace. I would rather curse, I always correct this with I was a sinner, but I got saved by his grace and became HIS "righteousness". That explains this verse very well, I do not trust anything that I could do as righteous, but I could accept anything that he has done for me. He was righteous, and his righteousness was imputed to me.

IMPUTED was to be put on my account. What a great deal! I give him my sin, and he takes it, and returns to me his righteousness.

I know the feeling though that she might have, as soon as I was baptized in the Holy Spirit, I was assured of my sonship. The Spirit identifies with my heart that I have become a child of adoption.

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Edited by Sir W Dakotah

Guest Enchiridion

Even people who have been Christians their entire lives sometimes struggle with the guilt of their sins, finding it amazing and even hard to believe that ALL of them are washed away.

The good news is that your friend's place in Heaven is not contingent on anything she does or understands. She has received God's grace, through hearing His word and through the waters of Baptism. She will certainly be more at peace as the reality of this sinks in, but let's face it, we are all sometimes dumbfounded by the enormity of God's love and His saving grace.

Encourage her to attend regular worship and study God's word. Guide her to Romans. It's such a wonderful explanation of the struggles of sinfulness and how God's grace works in our lives.

RO 6:11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

RO 14:8b So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

And my personal favorite:

RO 8:37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Keep her in your prayers, that she find the "peace that passes all understanding."

God bless,

Enchiridion

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

SWD gave some good Scriptures.

But I want to highlight this one point:

One more question to ask did she ask Jesus to forgive her of her sin, and repent from them?

I was thinking if I were there, I would ask her, "Why do you believe or fear you will be going to Hell?"

Usually, the answer would have to do with sin in the person's life.

Is there a sin she is guilty of that needs repenting of?

If so, here is another passage:

1 John 1:8 - 2:2

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

1 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Blessings!

Guest iloveuk

We serve God out of love not because we fear of going to hell. Revelations says the fearful and unbelieving will have their part in the lake of fire. Also perfect love cast out all fear. We are made perfect in God's love. Tell your friend that the gift of God is eternal life. Fear not hell, but fear God. That means to Reverence him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I can't help but wonder if she only mouthed some 'right' words in order to feel like she bought a little fire insurance, yet never experienced the conviction, drawing, nor infilling of the Holy Spirit. This is so common, theres so many people wearing the lable who really don't know God.

If God isn't the one dealing with the heart then there can't be genuine repentance, or relationship.