• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,786
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

The Apostles' Creed has received this title because of its great antiquity; it dates from very early times in the Church, a half century or so from the last writings of the New Testament.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks George for the response...do you believe Jesus decended into ####?

Kiwi, to my knowledge, there is no scriptural proof Jesus descended into ####.  I Peter 3:18-19 states, "For Messiah also died for sins once and for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to G-d, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also He went and made proclomation to the spirits now in prison,..."  Many people understand this to mean Jesus went to #### between His death and resurrection.  Most likely this is a reference to all who have previously heard the word of G-d and rejected it.  In fact, if you keep reading, you will see Peter is actually talking about all those who missed the boat (so to speak) during the time of Noah.

• Steward

Hello Kiwi,

This is quite an interesting answer, but please bear with me as I lay out the scriptural basis of what transpired when Jesus (Yeshua) died at the cross.

John 19:30

It was only a matter of time before you and I disagreed on theology (unable to put up a shocked emoticon).  But you are right the Bible does say He did not stay in ####, which would mean He was there.  However, the Hebrew word sheol could mean grave.  I'm not sure what the original language was, whether it had originally meant #### or grave.  Interesting question however.

• Steward

This is the Easton's Bible Dictionary of the word:

Derived from the Saxon helan, to cover; hence the covered or the invisible place. In Scripture there are three words so rendered:

1. Sheol, occurring in the Old Testament sixty-five times. This word sheol is derived from a root-word meaning "to ask," "demand;" hence insatiableness # Pr 30:15,16 It is rendered "grave" thirty-one times # Ge 37:35 42:38 44:29,31 1Sa 2:6 etc. The Revisers have retained this rendering in the historical books with the original word in the margin, while in the poetical books they have reversed this rule. In thirty-one cases in the Authorized Version this word is rendered "####," the place of disembodied spirits. The inhabitants of sheol are "the congregation of the dead" # Pr 21:16 It is:

a. the abode of the wicked # Nu 16:33 Job 24:19 Ps 9:17 31:17 etc.;

b. of the good # Ps 16:10 30:3 49:15 86:13 etc. Sheol is described as:

a. deep # Job 11:8

b. dark # Job 10:21,22

c. with bars # Job 17:16

d. The dead "go down" to it # Nu 16:30,33 Eze 31:15,16,17

2. The Greek word hades of the New Testament has the same scope of signification as sheol of the Old Testament. It is a prison #1Pe 3:19 with gates and bars and locks # Mt 16:18 Re 1:18 and it is downward # Mt 11:23 Lu 10:15 The righteous and the wicked are separated. The blessed dead are in that part of hades called paradise # Lu 23:43 They are also said to be in Abraham

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

AWESOME!!!!

Thank you ALL for your responses..George, you have NO IDEA how I truly hated to say those words "descended into ####" because it was something I was suppose to be quoting "THAT I BELIEVED" and I literally would NOT say those words.

Kiwi, you hit the nail on the head.  That is the problem with so many of our traditions.  Do not misunderstand me, I am in favor of traditions, they are a tool to help us in our walk with G-d.  But they should never replace the study of scripture and our daily walk with him.  G-d bless you, and I am happy you have decided to renew your faith in our

L-rd.