• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  348
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,500
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/21/2018 at 10:54 PM, Debp said:

Not into researching the family tree but a second cousin of mine went crazy doing it (not literally). :rofl:Do know I have Eastern European ancestry...mainly Polish as my dad was Polish ancestry.   On my mom's side, it was German and Czech and thereabouts.

Yeah, in my opinion all this Ancestry DNA falls short anyway. You'd think for what they charge, they would include your DNA linage through chimpanzees, fish, pond scum, star dust to your great uncle Rock. And for a few extra bucks, your DNA arrangement 1 billion years after the Big Bang  ?

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,646
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Yeah, in my opinion all this Ancestry DNA falls short anyway. You'd think for what they charge, they would include your DNA linage through chimpanzees, fish, pond scum, star dust to your great uncle Rock. And for a few extra bucks, your DNA arrangement 1 billion years after the Big Bang  ?

Surely you jest! 

--------

My cousins have become enamored of the idea they can track their own lineage to one of England King Henry's wives. One that was beheaded. I don't see the advantage in that, but hey whatever.

The idea of tracking back to Noah and Adam, well okay but by way of Seth or Cain might prove to be of interest.

Perhaps DNA will help in the title to lands as in "whose land is it anyway" pertaining to Israel and Jerusalem. Then again maybe not for a Jew is  not of circumcision of the flesh,  but instead of the heart.  Near as I can tell this is all going to burn anyway,... and then there will be a new heaven and and a new earth....

--------

As for me I had hoped to learn whether there is good reason, a trait of my Genes that would tell me that  yes I should go ahead with the colonoscopy and oh yes that awful prostate biopsy again. I had said never again to both. Ha, I have done one now and it turned out to be a good thing, the DNA traits does indicate it might be wise to go for the other once - ouch - again too.

As I said, it is all going to burn. My flesh will fail me too,  maybe even this day; but I would like to be as healthy as possible to that very day  and not have the battle that I have tended as an advocate and caregiver so many times for others that I have loved. Hate to become a burden  if I could have avoided being one.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  348
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,500
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

33 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Surely you jest! 

--------

My cousins have become enamored of the idea they can track their own lineage to one of England King Henry's wives. One that was beheaded. I don't see the advantage in that, but hey whatever.

The idea of tracking back to Noah and Adam, well okay but by way of Seth or Cain might prove to be of interest.

Perhaps DNA will help in the title to lands as in "whose land is it anyway" pertaining to Israel and Jerusalem. Then again maybe not for a Jew is  not of circumcision of the flesh,  but instead of the heart.  Near as I can tell this is all going to burn anyway,... and then there will be a new heaven and and a new earth....

--------

As for me I had hoped to learn whether there is good reason, a trait of my Genes that would tell me that  yes I should go ahead with the colonoscopy and oh yes that awful prostate biopsy again. I had said never again to both. Ha, I have done one now and it turned out to be a good thing, the DNA traits does indicate it might be wise to go for the other once - ouch - again too.

As I said, it is all going to burn. My flesh will fail me too,  maybe even this day; but I would like to be as healthy as possible to that very day  and not have the battle that I have tended as an advocate and caregiver so many times for others that I have loved. Hate to become a burden  if I could have avoided being one.

Of course I was just jesting, using their preconceived evolutionary theory of how we evolved. 

From hundreds of hours of research by my uncle, unfortunately there's no U.S. Presidents, but there is one Fredrick the Great in our linage. Yeah, same here, who cares. Didn't much care for the guy anyway ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I am hooked-  The black sheep of the clan is hooked. While the medical aspect of having DNA looked at turned out to be unremarkable, the staightforward family tree is becoming a bit of a reveal for me. Don't know to what earthly nor spiritual benefit, but it is explaining to me a lot of what has driven my family over a few generations. I think I see some history in fuller perspective. That might help me understand better where and why  the people of this land are in the mode they are in, self included.

Right now it is still in  pre -gestalt mode, still just acquiring information, and waiting upon an "aha" moment. It is also triggering memories of my youth and family upbringing I had long put away in a back file cabinet of my mind. I'm gaining appreciation of some people that I never had or had forgotten about.

I am finding  it is bringing  the more dreary of Bible reading to life for me. The idea of census, of movement of masses of people,  of tribes, and it is revealing a bit about early US history  back to my mind in a more personal way. Don't have a sense of application for today's use yet, but am going to pursue it a bit further.

I read mention of the first shoe box factory and remembered oh yes, I used to go in there, place was full of fluffy bits of cardboard, made me choke. And then I remembered that factory started up in the US depression era,  in shoe manufacturing communities, and my family had the first automated shoe box manufacturing facility ( Long gone). The exodus of the shoe industry from Massachusetts changed life for many laborers, and there was a dispursion of sorts. My family ended up in California- employed at a tennis shoe factory back when  the land there was mostly  cattle  and also strawberry fields.

Then I read a historical document regarding  the members of the family  serving in the "Lexington Alert from 1777 to 1779" and their military ranks. Well my mind went to thinking the town of Lexington and the first rebels, but the dates were off. I have now found record of  a sea battle between the USS Lexington and the British vessel Alert. From there I have come across the ship's log.  And some general writings. All just fun, real history.  But I begin I think to see God's hand in it all, the discomforts that force moving and the moves the spread of knowledge of God too. Not that we were the be alls of Chrsitanity, my family certainly was not. But the moves of that sort were used  by God for me personally to be  led to my Lord Jesus.

The feeble comparison of personal existence is bringing realism to the stories  of hardships and glories too that are the reveal of Jesus, the Bible.

Starting to be fun. And it seems many were in the Great Lodge too . That one is kinda sadly weird to me, might become a secondary study.

Anyway Genealogy- more than just pride, it seems to have a real purpose, one I cannot define yet; but I can no longer say  I don't care it is all just me to Noah  and back to Adam, that doesn't cut it now. Seems filling in the blanks may be of value. Can't articulate how yet, but hopefully  that will come about in that Aha moment to come.

• 4 weeks later...

More on genealogy:

I am truly hooked now. As I build a family tree it gets quite complex becoming more a bramble bush than tree. The shear number of individuals that are family and are seeking out certain common ancestors is fascinating.

The history is confirmed in gravestones too. There are pictures of gravestones online, amazing to  me.

And the military service records plus the American Revolutionary war records just fascinate. Seems my family has tened to be stable in the New England States  going back to 1714. That is as far back as I have gotten  to date. I keep getting sidetracked literally as i find out how many kids each person had-the branches just keep going lateral, and I see that sure enough we are replenishing the population of earth. we also tend to marry young. One as young as 14 had a year old child by a 28 year old man, her husband. They went on to have more offspring too.

I am beginning to see a generational pattern built around wars.  I see education interupted and then after wars re established. Kids born early  on during war and then a gap with a bunch of kids after that war. Seems several ancestors served along the coast in various assemblies and units doing battle against England.

Many ancestors worked at the mills of the industrial revolution too in a couple of cities at Massachusetts A few having come out of the woods and farms to work at the cities in tenament row housing. The job titles are interesting to me.

A few relatives are posting "stories" remembrances of their ancestors. That's the thing that I think will be of interest to many once each gets past the chronology. What were the individuals like, what were their habits, their faith? 

And then;- it hit me as I am getting e-mails from  distant but real cousins. Here is an opportunity to share of our Lord Jesus! By asking about church relationships, prayer times, Bible records, anything  that leads into opportunity to leave what will amount to a Bible tract. That is just now hitting me and is ready for me to build upon.

Edited by Neighbor