• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  745
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/27/1976

For those who discussed in the thread I titled "physical disabilities", I have an update about the genetic eye disease that causes blindness.

My son was diagnosed today as having it. It is called choroideremia. It took everything within me not to cry in front of him at the dr. He was a real brave boy for the 4 hour long appoinment! I am very proud of him! I am trying to be optimistic as there are new treatments, etc, being researched and there is a good chance that a cure will be found. However, I am also very scared for him, I also feel guilty because it is my fault he has it. (I am a carrier of it) I know I shouldn't feel that way, but I am trying to work through those feelings.

Thank you all for your prayers, and support! I am grateful! If you could keep the prayers coming, that would be great! :)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Katie dear, I am praying and will continue to pray for you, your son, and your entire lovely family. :) It would be a great pleasure for satan to bind you with the thoughts of guilt you've been carrying. Don't let him even get a toe in the door, let alone an entire foot. Dear Heart, Christ has said, and therefore I believe it, that He has set you free. ;)

John 8:36

If the Son therefore shall make you free,

ye shall be free indeed.

In His love,

Homeward

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  08/08/1964

Katie, you and your family are in my prayers.

Indeed, as somebody before said, do not let the enemy take advantage of the situation. You are all in God's hands and that is the best place to be.

Blessings. :)

Thank you all for your prayers and encouraging words!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  414
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Katie,

I will be praying too that God gives you comfort, strength,and courage in the days ahead. Please keep us updated and give your son an extra hug today.

In Christ,

CarolineS

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Praying for you and him.

It is not your 'fault.'

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  340
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

For those who discussed in the thread I titled "physical disabilities", I have an update about the genetic eye disease that causes blindness.

My son was diagnosed today as having it. It is called choroideremia. It took everything within me not to cry in front of him at the dr. He was a real brave boy for the 4 hour long appoinment! I am very proud of him! I am trying to be optimistic as there are new treatments, etc, being researched and there is a good chance that a cure will be found. However, I am also very scared for him, I also feel guilty because it is my fault he has it. (I am a carrier of it) I know I shouldn't feel that way, but I am trying to work through those feelings.

Thank you all for your prayers, and support! I am grateful! If you could keep the prayers coming, that would be great!  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God holds the future in His hands. The Bible tells us to trust Him for all your needs.

As for feeling guilty... let's blame Adam and Eve, as the fault truly lies with them.

Is there a support group for this condition? Either in your area, or online? If there is not, perhaps you could start one. I know you have mentioned family members that have this, and so you have some idea of what to expect, but being in touch with others may help you too.

Praying for you. Amazingrace

Thank you all for your prayers, and support! I am grateful! If you could keep the prayers coming, that would be great!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

Praying for your son, for you, and for wisdom for the doctors as they choose his treatments.

IR :noidea:

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  706

Kate,

All will be well, he is a great kid, with great parents. Sure it won't be the same for him as some other kids, but he can still live a great live. Think of Erin, my Sis-in-law, she has had cancer 3 times, is totally blind, has a prosthetic eye, leg, hip, and knee, and about to enter her 2nd year of Law School. He is a strong kid, if he wants to do something, he will figure it out. Just support him, we just will try hard not to treat him like "the broken one". I think that is where parents of disabled children go wrong, they label their kid as broken, and that child feels like they are unable to be independant. He is quite independant, you are doing a great job.

It will be hard to see what he has to go through, but you know as well as I , what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Much love sis!