• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/22/1944

Probably the most compelling reason I know of is the commandment of God that we shall not have any graven images.

It seems to me that I sense spirit of ignoring this commandment or an outright denial that the images constitute a violation of it.

Several of the posters here have pointed out that if there is no worship, what is the need of the idols and I think that is the direct and valid question.

I would add that this question is one of the many questions that arose as I studied the bible as a catholic that caused me to realize that I could not remain in a church that practiced things that were contrary to the "Word of God."

God wishes us to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. I could not worship Him in either from within the catholic church, because to do so meant I had to accept that I and many others were practicing a sinful worship before the Lord.

1 John 4:1-4 calls us to try the spirits to determine whether they be of God or the devil. God would not tell us to worship in a way that runs contrary to His Holy Word. However, the devil would.

James calls us to examine ourselves. Jesus thru John in revelation 2 speaks of the church of Thyratira as having good character, but being sinful because they allow the practices of jezebel to go uncensored and un-confronted. We must be vigilant and uncompromising in our faith and actions avoiding even the appearance of sin.

I too say examine ourselves and be aware of God's Word and follow it.

GBU

In His Name

DeaconBob3

Edited by DeaconBob3

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

War memorial, particularly those involving statues, eternal flames etc, owe more to Roman and Greek religious traditions than to the judeo-Christian tradition. For some groups even crucifixes are a no no.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

There is also the issue, which I have raised before, of the veneration of the symbols of the state, saluting flags and other such activities. I called this "rag worship", which upset some. To me it seems a rather meaningless psuedo-religious ritual. In many countries (I don't know if this includes the USA), burning or dishonouring the flag is a criminal activity, rather silly I think. I have this dream of producing flags of the world toilet paper. This would enable people to Put all these silly symbols where they belong.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

Start first with all the religious "graven images" of the Church of Rome throughout the land. Its bones, beads, relics, bangles, baubles, medals, nails of the cross, splinters of its wood, apparitions, whatever, surely tend to make mockery of Holy Writ and the Second Commandment. Why not simply do as the Holy Scriptures command to worship God "in spirit and in truth"?

Anyways, whatever, corduroy pillows are surely making headlines, yes?

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  08/02/1957

Some dictionary definitions of the word "idol"

1. n. An image or representation of anything.

2. n. An image of a divinity; a representation or symbol of a deity or any other being or thing, made or used as an object of worship; a similitude of a false god.

3. n. That on which the affections are strongly (often excessively) set; an object of passionate devotion; a person or thing greatly loved or adored.

4. n. A false notion or conception; a fallacy.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Hi Christine,

There's a HUGE thread on this issue somewhere on these Boards. I gotta get back to work; buty maybe someone here can tell you exactly where to locate it.

Peace,

Fiosh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here it is......

Other Thread On This Topic

:rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

I agree that these statues and pictures of Jesus and Mary in churches dont mean its bad..

However, I kinda feel uncomforable having pictures of Jesus on my wall which is some man painted by Michaelangelo. I dont have anymore posters of figures on my wall neither.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know someone who may get offeneded if I wear a necklace, with a cross. :24:

There is also the issue, which I have raised before, of the veneration of the symbols of the state,  saluting flags and other such activities. I called this "rag worship", which upset some. To me it seems a rather meaningless psuedo-religious ritual. In many countries (I don't know if this includes the USA), burning or dishonouring the flag is a criminal activity, rather silly I think. I have this dream of producing flags of the world toilet paper. This would enable people to Put all these silly symbols where they belong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you have no respect for your American Flag, then, Amor?

That is a shame.

Many people have died for that flag.

I'm English, but I know so many men loved that flag, throughout history, and put their lives at risk for their country and Flag....

:rolleyes:

Oh well.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

hiee :)

we  have  ample  verses in the  bible telling  us"no  idol worship" .. i am aware of the  various  idols we can have  in life,,,, but taking idols  in literal sense.....

in most of  the chruches  especially catholic  chruches ... we  have  statues of  mother mary .. st.joseph...and jesus christ ....

n we  there r  ppl kneeling  before  them and  prayin ... putting  candles  in front of  them ... is  this idol  worship ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that those examples do not pass the "no graven images" test.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

But what about Christian art? Are we to not let faith inspire our art?

I do agree that kneeling to an image of any sort or a statue of any sort is a big problem.

However I love the artistry of the beautiful stained glass that is in some of our Churches, in fact some of my earliest memories which indeed helped me in my faith as a child were from looking and thinking about Christ who was represented in those stained glass windows.

I have an early Christian rendering done on wood block in my house, and I have a couple of crosses on the wall, but I would never bow down to those or pray toward them or anything of that sort, the thought had actually not occurred to me.

It comes down to intent.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  08/02/1957

But what about Christian art? Are we to not let faith inspire our art? 

I do agree that kneeling to an image of any sort or a statue of any sort is a big problem.

However I love the artistry of the beautiful stained glass that is in some of our Churches, in fact some of my earliest memories which indeed helped me in my faith as a child were from looking and thinking about Christ who was represented in those stained glass windows.

I have an early Christian rendering done on wood block in my house, and I have a couple of crosses on the wall, but I would never bow down to those or pray toward them or anything of that sort, the thought had actually not occurred to me.

It comes down to intent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's nothing wrong with art.

But making a statue or painting a picture and pointing at it and saying " that's Christ " is wrong.