Catsmeow

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0

In the Old Testament, the priests offered up an animal sacrifice yearly for the forgiveness of sin.

In the New Testament: If we confess our sin He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Question: Does this mean that our salvation or rightness with God is contingent on whether we confess our sin daily?

I'm probably looking pretty dumb right now but I'm really wanting to be certain of the foundational truths of the Word of God. I guess if I look lame, that's just where I am...

I'm needing help from those who are more learned than myself.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

In the Old Testament, the priests offered up an animal sacrifice yearly for the forgiveness of sin.

In the New Testament: If we confess our sin He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Question: Does this mean that our salvation or rightness with God is contingent on whether we confess our sin daily?

I'm probably looking pretty dumb right now but  I'm really wanting to be certain of the foundational truths of the Word of God. I guess if I look lame, that's just where I am...

I'm needing help from those who are more learned than myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is an interesting question and one that many people don't truly understand. I hear most believers say that we have to confess daily in order to be forgiven, but if we are not forgiven, if our sins have not been cleansed, then that would mean we could not go to heaven. So, what is the answer? I believe it is found in Hebrews.

Hebrews 9:12-14: "He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption. The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!"

Hebrews 9:24-28: "For Christ did not enter a man-made sanctuary that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Thank you for taking the time to explain your views.

I'm still struggling with this though.

"If" (implies a conditional phrase)..."If we confess our sin, (then) He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." ***(if/then)

Also,

First he said,

Cats,

There are many scriptures that are difficult to interpret in and of themselves. I John 1:9 is one of them in light of the fact that Jesus died once for all. When you are interpreting scripture, the first rule of thumb is to interpret the scripture within the context it is written. We get a lot of confusion over interpretations of scripture because we try to interpret them out of context. This is the context:

I John 1:5-10: "This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives."

Ok, let's break it down. The context is talking about true believers versus false believers. If one claims to believe in Christ and yet continues to walk in darkness, he is a liar, but if one walks in the light, then he is in a true relationship with Jesus Christ and the blood of Christ purifies him from ALL sin.

Next, pay attention here. It is talking about someone who claims to be without sin. You can not become a believer and claim to be without sin. They are opposed to each other. So, in context here, in contrast to one who is not a believer who does not acknowledge he is a sinner is the one who confesses and acknowledges his sin and is purified from ALL unrighteousness. Notice it says ALL. This is talking about conversion. This is talking about when a person who is outside of Christ comes to a place where he/she acknowledges and confesses his sin and he/she is cleansed from ALL unrighteousness.

So, in context, it actually agrees with the passages in Hebrews. Does this make sense? If not, let's talk about it further.

Now, it continues in chapter 2 to tell believers what they should do if they should sin.

I John 2:1-2: "My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Sue's post is excellent. Jesus hinted at this at ther washing of the disciple's feet. Jesus began the process of washing the disciple's feet and when He came to Peter, Peter objected (John 13:6-8). Jesus explained to Peter that unless He washed his feet, peter had no part in Him (John 13:8)

In his typically sanguine fashion, Peter responded that if that was the case Jesus should wash his whole body (John 13:9). Jesus reponded thus:

Jesus said to him, "He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."

John 13:10 NASB

This is a picture of salvation. When we come to Christ we are made clean, and have no need to be washed again. All that is needed is to keep that parts of us clean that are most exposed to dirt. This daily cleansing is not salvific, but is related to fellowship issues with people and God.

This daily cleansing is not salvific, but is related to fellowship issues with people and God.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly!! Thanks for sharing!!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

I have this same line of questions in (repentance) in the general discussion area. I would love to have further thoughts from all the poster on this thread as well.

God Bless:

Kansas Dad

I have this same line of questions in (repentance) in the general discussion area.  I would love to have further thoughts from all the poster on this thread as well.

God Bless:

Kansas Dad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've read your post several times and I'm not sure what your question is. It appears that you have received quite a few responses from very knowledgable people. Is there something you still have a question about? Could you restate it here for me in a few sentences? Or a few pointed questions? Part of your post seemed like a question but most of it seemed like you were making a statement, so I'm not sure what the real question is.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

Basically the same as catsmeow. by ignoring the verse catsmeow quoted and using the line of reasoning you have stated we run the risk of justifing all our sins. They really don't matter because we are going to go to heaven anyway.

"(quote from other thread) Ok I waded through your dissertation. And I understand what you are saying. But let me ask you this. Then by your reasoning as long as I recognize Jesus Christ having die for my sins I can commit any atrocity (lets say molesting young boys or girls) and I still go to heaven because God does not see my sin anymore?

Kansas Dad )"

"(quote from other thread) The Bible even says that demons know who Jesus is, but are the demons going to heaven. I don't think so. The problem is that people are trying to separate Faith, Works, and Grace, and they can't be separated. It is through Gods Grace that we are saved. We all sin and can never earn our way into heaven. It is because we have faith in Jesus Christ that God gives us his grace. But Faith with out works is DEAD. It is not faith at all. God will spit it our and cast it away. I don't care how many times you say the magic words if you don't have faith you will not receive his grace and you will not get into heaven. If you do not have "good works" you do not have faith. If you do not have faith you have not received his grace and you will not go to heaven. You can not pick and choose which part you want and ignore the rest. It all goes together. Just because you are a "Born again Christian" does not give you license to do whatever you want because you are going to heaven anyway, and if you follow the reasoning above that is exactly what it says. "God no longer sees the sin in me". Therefore with that reasoning sin doesn't matter. Then if sin doesn't matter then I can sin all I want and I still go to heaven.

I'm not buying it!

Kansas Dad "

There has been several post and it is difficult to get all the context this way.

Kansas Dad

Kansasdad,

Actually, I'm on your side. I have had many discussions on here about the very thing you are bringing to light, but I think you are misunderstanding my comments. It is true that when we are in Christ that we are completely forgiven of past, present and future sins. When God looks at us, he sees us as righteous because of Jesus' blood that was shed for us on the cross. We don't have to keep confessing sin in order to be forgiven. We are already forgiven. We are saved by faith in Jesus, not through continually confessing sin, otherwise we have returned to the OT way of getting forgiveness.

I John 2 states that if we sin, we have Jesus to speak to the Father on our behalf. It is automatic.

But, as you will notice, I went on to mention what followed next. I John says that if you say you have this relationship with Christ, but you don't obey his commands, then you are a liar. I John is filled with scriptures like this. It is basically saying that you can't say you are in Christ and yet continue to live in sin. It comes right out and not only calls that person a liar, but it states quite clearly that person is not of Christ.

So, I John begins with letting us know how to become a Christian, which is through true repentance and confession of sin, it acknowledges the fact that we will sin, but that we automatically have one who speaks to the Father on our behalf, but in case one misunderstands and thinks that is a license to sin, he goes on to explain further that if you claim to walk in the light and you claim to have fellowship with Christ and yet you continue to walk in darkness, then you ain't got it. It is a false belief. There has to be evidence of regeneration. There has to be works of faith that show that you have genuinely repented and turned to God. The book of James and the book of I John make this quite clear.

So, just because we don't have to confess every sin in order to be "forgiven" over and over again, that does not mean that God takes sin lightly or that we can say we have faith and yet continue to live in sin. We are all going to sin. Take it to the bank. What God is looking for is a heart change. He is looking to see if we really turned the other direction or if all we did was say some words in hope that we would have our free ticket into heaven.

Now, I could give you some more verses that I have posted on here previously and there are even more than what I posted that suggest that a person can be a true believer in Christ, but they must continue in their faith to the end if they want to receive eternal life. That is another whole topic.