• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

CFS.

Thanks for sharing this topic on this thread, I found it quite edifying, but I would like to know what the other thread Kanasadad was referring to so that I may peruse it as well.thanks in advance,

e.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

CFS.

Thanks for sharing this topic on this thread, I found it quite edifying, but I would like to know what the other thread Kanasadad was referring to so that I may peruse it as well.thanks in advance,

e.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He is talking about the one on Repentance under General Discussion.

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate them.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Thanks Sue. got it. So will now read it all.

You are a gem.

e

Thanks Sue. got it. So will now read it all.

You are a gem.

e

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! To God be the glory, great things HE has done!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Question: Does this mean that our salvation or rightness with God is contingent on whether we confess our sin daily?

Absolutely!

To understand this truth we must first understand what the word confess means.

Confession is not simply an oral admittance of our sin, the word in Greek literally means to "agree together with someone else".

In this case, if we agree together with God that we are in sin as we are convinced and convicted of our sin by Him through the Holy Spirit... only then is the Covenant, or 'agreement' with Jesus Christ to remove our sin activated. If we deny our sin in light of the Holy Spirit's conviction and testimony against us of what we have done, our sin remains deliberate and unforgiven.

Question: Does this mean that our salvation or rightness with God is contingent on whether we confess our sin daily?

Absolutely!

Confession is not simply an oral admittance of our sin, the word in Greek literally means to "agree together with someone else".

In this case, if we agree together with God that we are in sin as we are convinced and convicted of our sin by Him through the Holy Spirit... only then is the Covenant, or 'agreement' with Jesus Christ to remove our sin activated. If we deny our sin in light of the Holy Spirit's conviction and testimony against us of what we have done, our sin remains deliberate and unforgiven.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I respectfully disagree! That would absolutely remove grace and would negate what Hebrews states about Jesus dying once for all. We can not pray a magic prayer and "poof" have our ticket into heaven guaranteed for life w/o regard for how we then live our lives, neither are we to live with an axe over our heads that threatens our salvation every time we sin. We are saved by grace, through faith, and faith is action, meaning there must be evidence that such faith exists. So, we can have assurance of eternal life and we can know God's grace, but our lives must show that we have faith, too.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Absolutely!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I respectfully disagree! That would absolutely remove grace and would negate what Hebrews states about Jesus dying once for all. We can not pray a magic prayer and "poof" have our ticket into heaven guaranteed for life w/o regard for how we then live our lives, neither are we to live with an axe over our heads that threatens our salvation every time we sin. We are saved by grace, through faith, and faith is action, meaning there must be evidence that such faith exists. So, we can have assurance of eternal life and we can know God's grace, but our lives must show that we have faith, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am in general agreement with you which is why your previous posts nor this one makes any real sense.

The 1 John citation above indicates that IF we do agree with God that we have sinned (THEN) He is faithfull and just to forgive us our sin. There are two parties required for the confession/forgiveness to occur.

Yet Hebrews also says, that IF we sin willingly after having received the truth, THEN there remains no more sacrifice for that sin.

I have not made any assertion that EVERY time we sin we are cut off from God and that our salvation is in jeopardy.

That is not to say, however, that there are NEVER times when we can sin that place our salvation in jeopardy, because there are.

The entire point of 1 John is that 'confession' is more than lip service to God. It is an inner full agreement with Him through the Holy Spirit and a true conviction and agreement with our sinfulness that places God in the position for Him to forgive us by us placing ourselves in a position to have our sin removed.

Admitting sin is not 'confession'.

Confession is doing something about the awareness of one's sinfulness once one becomes conscious of it, and that something is to repent and ask forgiveness of the Father through Jesus Christ and to turn from that sin with the intent to do it no more.

Grace only applies here in the sense that we can gain access to the grace of God's forgiveness by our faith to apprehend it by way of agreement and obediecne to Christ.

Edited by homebild

• Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Cats,

When you are interpreting scripture, the first rule of thumb is to interpret the scripture within the context it is written. We get a lot of confusion over interpretations of scripture because we try to interpret them out of context.

Cats,

When you are interpreting scripture, the first rule of thumb is to interpret the scripture within the context it is written. We get a lot of confusion over interpretations of scripture because we try to interpret them out of context.

You: I am in general agreement with you which is why your previous posts nor this one makes any real sense.

Me: What are you in agreement with me about? I don't understand how you can be in general agreement with me and yet you say my post does not make sense. What doesn't make sense and how is what I said not in line with what you agree with me about? Do you feel I am contradicting myself in some way? Please explain.

You: The 1 John citation above indicates that IF we do agree with God that we have sinned (THEN) He is faithfull and just to forgive us our sin. There are two parties required for the confession/forgiveness to occur.

Me: I agree, but believe this is talking about regeneration. If you read it in context, it is talking about someone who has not agreed with God about his sin (an non-believer) versus someone who has (a believer). I see nowhere else in scripture where it indicates a requirement for daily confession of sin in order to be forgiven.

You: Yet Hebrews also says, that  IF we sin willingly after having received the truth, THEN there remains no more sacrifice for that sin.

Me: I just did a study tonight on all the IF verses in the NT with our college group that meets in our home. As you know, there are multiple interpretations of this and other verses like it. The term "receiving the truth" is debatable as to whether the person was genuinely converted or whether it was a false confession of Christ that took place. The general consensus was that either way you take it, it is obvious that God takes sin seriously and he wants us to continually walk in faith and obedience. I believe there is a difference between committing a sin and wilfully continuing in sin. I John 2 states that we will sin, so that's a given, but what I John is talking about is those who think they are believers but nothing in their lives has changed. They kept right on sinning. This is different from the daily life of the believer who is bound to sin now and then. If we have to constantly confess every sin in order to be forgiven, then how is that any different than the Old Covenant?

You: I have not made any assertion that EVERY time we sin we are cut off from God and that our salvation is in jeopardy.

Me: That is what it sounded like. You said our salvation was dependent on our daily confession of sin.

You: That is not to say, however, that there are NEVER times when we can sin that place our salvation in jeopardy,  because there are.

Me: What sin or how many sins would place our salvation in jeopardy?

You: The entire point of 1 John is that 'confession' is more than lip service to God. It is an inner full agreement with Him through the Holy Spirit and a true conviction and agreement with our sinfulness that places God in the position for Him to forgive us by us placing ourselves in a position to have our sin removed.

Admitting sin is not 'confession'.

Confession is doing something about the awareness of one's sinfulness once one becomes conscious of it, and that something is to repent and ask forgiveness of the Father through Jesus Christ and to turn from that sin with the intent to do it no more.

Grace only applies here in the sense that we can gain access to the grace of God's forgiveness by our faith to apprehend it by way of agreement and obediecne to Christ.

Me: Agree.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>