• Days Won:  5

'But -
.. God commendeth His love toward us, 
.... in that, 
...... while we were yet sinners, 
........ Christ died for us.
Much more then
.. being now justified by His blood, 
.... we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
For if
.. when we were enemies, 
.... we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, 
much more, 
.. being reconciled, 
.... we shall be saved by His life.
And not only so
.. but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 
.... by whom we have now received the at-one-ment.'
(Romans 5:8-11)  

Hello there,

In the thread where members are entering consecutive verses from Leviticus at the moment: @In Him, entered verse 10 of the quotation above from Romans five, which is a fine verse, and worthy of further consideration; but because of the nature of that thread, where the Word of God is the main consideration and additional thoughts expressed subservient to it; to comment upon this would not have been appropriate.  So I am entering it here, in the hope that members would like to give their thoughts upon it.  I have quoted a little more of the context, but obviously, the word, 'but', by which it begins points out the fact that it is part of a larger discussion by Paul to believers in Rome.

I can't add my own thoughts at the moment for I am having to go off-line for a while, but hope you will feel able to continue in my absence.

Thank you

In Christ Jesus

Chris

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

v8 It is truly amazing is that Jesus gave His life to rescue those who were neither righteous nor good - those, in fact, who were the very opposite, and who deserved to die. From this, we deduce that God’s love is much greater in magnitude and dependability than even the heights of human love. How, then, can we doubt the reality and immensity of His love for us? Christ’s death is the firmest possible basis for our assurance!

v9,10 Yet there is still more to come!
One day, God’s wrath will be poured out in full on this sinful world - which means that our salvation is not yet complete. Justification is only the first step. But we need have no worries, for the rest will surely follow! If Jesus loved us enough to die for us when we were His enemies, why should He love us any the less now that we belong to Him? And since He has done so much to remove our sins and make us righteous, how can He fail to complete our salvation at the end of time? We therefore look forward to Jesus’ return not with apprehension but in eager anticipation. (I Thessalonians 5:9) God’s wrath against sinners will not touch those who belong to Christ. Because Jesus is alive, we share in His life now and will share in His resurrection on the Last Day.

v11 For our final deliverance, as for our justification, we are completely dependent on God’s grace. And so our confidence is not self-confidence, but a humble recognition that our salvation is entirely God’s doing, from beginning to end - and we will therefore not be disappointed. As we contemplate all that God has done for us through His Son (justification, reconciliation, and absolute security for the life to come), we can only rejoice - not in our own achievements or privileges, but in our wonderful and amazing God!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  5

But God commendeth His love toward us, 
 in that, while we were yet sinners, 
Christ died for us.
Much more then
being now justified by His blood, 
we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
For if, when we were enemies, 
we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, 
much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

and not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 
by whom we have now received the at-one-ment.'

Hello there,

"Thank you" to everyone who has taken part so far, for sharing your thoughts as you have?

* When, @In Him, shared Romans 5:10 on 'the Bible verse sharing thread', it caused me to stop and look at just what the words were saying: for we had been reading through Leviticus, and had just read Leviticus 4:6  within the context of instruction regarding the sin offering: 'And the priest shall dip his finger in the blood, and sprinkle of the blood seven times before the LORD, before the vail of the sanctuary.'  In reference to. 'the vail of the sanctuary', I had noted that it was a 'type' of the perfect humanity of Christ (Hebrews 10:19-20), which was of no avail for the purpose of atonement without blood. That we are saved by His death and not by His life, quoting Ephesians 2:13:- 'But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.'  Yet this verse @In Him had quoted from Romans 5 said that, 'we shall be saved by His life', which seemed to contradict what I had said. So I created this thread in order to discuss it. 

* Looking at Romans 5:10 'For if when we were enemies,  we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more,  being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. ' - reconciliation had already been achieved for those to whom Paul wrote, these were believers in the Lord Jesus Christ so were partakers of that reconciliation.  Christ had been put to death, His blood had been shed on their behalf,  but He had risen from the grave and ascended up, far above all heavens to the Father's right hand (Heb.10:2) . This now is one of God's, 'much more's'-  For It was Christ's resurrection life, working in those believers, which would ensure that they too would one day live with Him, and share His resurrection life. For had they not died with Christ? Been buried, quickened, and raised with Him? In the reckoning of God . 

* Later in the epistle to the Colossians, the fact that our life is hid with Christ in God is revealed (Colossians 3:3), that by Gods reckoning the members of Christs Body are already seated with Christ their Head at God's right hand - in God's sight (Ephesians 2:4-7) : and we are to actively reckon on that truth too: and live in the light of it by faith; as those who are risen from the dead; and who now walk before the Father in newness of life, in Him (Romans 6:4).

* So, Praise God! There is no contradiction! Just two sides of the same coin.

Thank you @In Him,
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Edited by Christine

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,189
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

22 hours ago, Christine said:

But God commendeth His love toward us, 
 in that, while we were yet sinners, 
Christ died for us.
Much more then
being now justified by His blood, 
we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
For if, when we were enemies, 
we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, 
much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

and not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 
by whom we have now received the at-one-ment.'

Hello there,

"Thank you" to everyone who has taken part so far, for sharing your thoughts as you have?

* When, @In Him, shared Romans 5:10 on 'the Bible verse sharing thread', it caused me to stop and look at just what the words were saying: for we had been reading through Leviticus, and had just read Leviticus 4:6  within the context of instruction regarding the sin offering: 'And the priest shall dip his finger in the blood, and sprinkle of the blood seven times before the LORD, before the vail of the sanctuary.'  In reference to. 'the vail of the sanctuary', I had noted that it was a 'type' of the perfect humanity of Christ (Hebrews 10:19-20), which was of no avail for the purpose of atonement without blood. That we are saved by His death and not by His life, quoting Ephesians 2:13:- 'But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.'  Yet this verse @In Him had quoted from Romans 5 said that, 'we shall be saved by His life', which seemed to contradict what I had said. So I created this thread in order to discuss it. 

* Looking at Romans 5:10 'For if when we were enemies,  we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more,  being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. ' - reconciliation had already been achieved for those to whom Paul wrote, these were believers in the Lord Jesus Christ so were partakers of that reconciliation.  Christ had been put to death, His blood had been shed on their behalf,  but He had risen from the grave and ascended up, far above all heavens to the Father's right hand (Heb.10:2) . This now is one of God's, 'much more's'-  For It was Christ's resurrection life, working in those believers, which would ensure that they too would one day live with Him, and share His resurrection life. For had they not died with Christ? Been buried, quickened, and raised with Him? In the reckoning of God . 

* Later in the epistle to the Colossians, the fact that our life is hid with Christ in God is revealed (Colossians 3:3), that by Gods reckoning the members of Christs Body are already seated with Christ their Head at God's right hand - in God's sight (Ephesians 2:4-7) : and we are to actively reckon on that truth too: and live in the light of it by faith; as those who are risen from the dead; and who now walk before the Father in newness of life, in Him (Romans 6:4).

* So, Praise God! There is no contradiction! Just two sides of the same coin.

Thank you @In Him,
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hello, hi, if you would allow me to add my two cents worth; 

Yes, it is true there are absolutely no contradiction in any truth(s) For all truth flows from one another. 

I couldn’t agree more, both sides of the coin are required for our salvation in Christ to be complete......If I can say and add a few things, and expound a little on this subject. 

For both parts, Christ’s death, and His resurrection/life are necessary to our salvation, as you wrote about. 

For as to the first part; 

When Christ died on the cross, He took us to death with Him. So that the sinful nature that we inherited from Adam would lose it’s power over us. This is why Christ death was a mandatory thing for procuring of our salvation. For the law demands, as scripture says, “the soul that sins that soul shall die”. This is how Christ became the fulfillment of the law. By taking our sinful souls with Him to death. Thereby fulfilling the claims and requirements of the law toward fallen humanity.

Than as to the resurrection/life part;

When Christ was raised from the dead. He actually and really took us with Him out of death so the Divine nature (born again) could be brought to birth in us.  Which is the “being saved by His life”. For His life, or called, “Christ in us,” is that thing that is capable of walking in newness of life. This is what we are told in scripture to reckon is true, as for our part of bringing the new birth to maturity. We read; 

“reckon ourselves dead onto sin”

this is how and to what Christ death is to be to us, our deaths, in totality. Everything that was born in Adam, Christ took to death with Him. This is why we are commanded to reckon ourselfs dead onto sin. Than as to “we are saved by His life”. It is the Divine nature being birthed and brought forth in us is the maturing of the Christian. Or as it says “Christ being formed in us” or still in other words the fruit of the Spirit being manifested in our lives. All being the same thing as Christ living His live in and through us. This is why as a continuation of the reckoning process we are told as it were to; 

“reckon ourselves alive unto God”.

For our salvation is a free gift of God to mankind in all it’s workings. It all is appropriated by the faith  of the believer. For as I’m sure you know all things come from God through faith. 

It is by faith we are to accept and believe this great and glorious salvation Christ death and resurrection brought  into humanity. 

For Christ being our life is the same as us being saved by His life, they are one and the same. 

When In Him posted what they did I saw (I believe) that In Him saw the connection between “being saved by His life” and Christ living His life in and through us. It blessed me greatly for I had yet to make the connection between these two scripture truths.  So I commented as to the blessing In Him’s post was to me. 

This is my understanding of how why, what and when of Christ procuring our salvation. Hope it blesses.

Blessings 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

Edited by Not me
  • This is Worthy 1