• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Thanks. 

When you come right down to it, there are probably lots of definitions of sin. Some people might think if you look cross-eyed at your telephone, you have sinned. For me, sin is when you break a commandment. But then you have to define “commandment.” Jesus somewhat did define sin, I think, when he remarked, "You know the commandments (Luke 18:20)," and listed several of the Ten Commandments.  

I believe the Lord teaches us what sin is as we walk with him: 

But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Jer 31:33 RSV

I believe unchastity, insobriety, and pride are sins.

Thank you brother JohnTheBaptist.

In the passage you quoted from Luke Jesus also says to sell everything and give it to the poor.  Please do not take that as a contrary point, as I greatly respect your goal of walking with the Lord Jesus, and that inital list Jesus said to the rich man was indeed a subset of the first 10 commandments.  Just illustrating how one person chooses some verses to pay close attention to and another may see more or a different focus. 

Peace to you.