• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

hard weather to live outside.

I think about the man in the OP and the many others like him.

I think about going out bring them something, anything to help.

But I know I won't.  I'll stay here in the relative comfort, such as it is, typing away at my computor, reading about hatred and feeling like I am important.

God have mercy.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  129
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

9 hours ago, Prodigal Son said:

Im in narcotics anonymous. These meetings are really helpful, we meet other addicts who all have the will to quit. Some have been clean for over 5 years, others only starting. We can rely on these guys when we are down by simply giving one of them a call. Whenever I have the urge to score I call one of them to help me ride the temptation

The NA 12 step program is Christianity in disguise. They call him a "higher power" we call him God. They call it a "disease" we call it evil temptation. So the 12 steps fits in well with my Christian perspective.

My doctor also referred me to a counselor which i enjoy seeing however the scientific approach is limited so I've been trying to find a Christian counselor.

My family also know about my willingness to overcome addiction. I didn't trust myself with money so I gave it all to them.

I also work on getting closer to God and Jesus. I pray daily and ask God to help me resist temptation through the Holy Spirit. I go to confession. I'm reading the bible again but this time I'm studying it. I try and learn about spiritual warfare and Satan's tactics through the bible, sermons and books. One thing Im yet to do is start going to mass.

Will I be able to ever rid myself of the temptation to use drugs? I hope so but I think it will shadow me till the end. It's a reminder to me that I need Jesus and so I keep on fighting. My family still think that I will be cured and these thoughts will go away but I see it as a long war. Im deep behind enemy lines but I'm winning battles and making my way closer to God

I feel your pain, that was my life 33 years ago.

You sound like your on some of the right track. You don't know how right you are about the twelve steps being Christianity in disguise. If I can be of any help, I qualify to do so.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

23 hours ago, Prodigal Son said:

Im in narcotics anonymous. These meetings are really helpful, we meet other addicts who all have the will to quit. Some have been clean for over 5 years, others only starting. We can rely on these guys when we are down by simply giving one of them a call. Whenever I have the urge to score I call one of them to help me ride the temptation

The NA 12 step program is Christianity in disguise. They call him a "higher power" we call him God. They call it a "disease" we call it evil temptation. So the 12 steps fits in well with my Christian perspective.

My doctor also referred me to a counselor which i enjoy seeing however the scientific approach is limited so I've been trying to find a Christian counselor.

My family also know about my willingness to overcome addiction. I didn't trust myself with money so I gave it all to them.

I also work on getting closer to God and Jesus. I pray daily and ask God to help me resist temptation through the Holy Spirit. I go to confession. I'm reading the bible again but this time I'm studying it. I try and learn about spiritual warfare and Satan's tactics through the bible, sermons and books. One thing Im yet to do is start going to mass.

Will I be able to ever rid myself of the temptation to use drugs? I hope so but I think it will shadow me till the end. It's a reminder to me that I need Jesus and so I keep on fighting. My family still think that I will be cured and these thoughts will go away but I see it as a long war. Im deep behind enemy lines but I'm winning battles and making my way closer to God

Prodigal Son,

I am glad to hear of the path you are taking.  You are not useless junk on this earth.  You are precious to God and anyone who knows God.

Sounds like the steps you are taking are good steps. 

Above all try to grasp how wide and deep is the Love of Jesus.  A significant problem I see is that people start on a good path full of energy and determination to finally get beyond the failures.  And I am not talking just about drug use.  But when they experience weakness and fail, a crisis occurs.  It is a crisis because the failure indicates that the person is not capable of succeeding.  Eventually this leads to despair.  And when you hate yourself because of your failures, you will look for love or relief elsewhere, anywhere.
The ultimate solution is to know the Love of Jesus, which was expressed by forgiving all our sins, once for all.  When I make a mistake, I gather my faith and choose to believe that he has forgiven me and ALL IS WELL between me and him.  He still loves me like he did before.  Takes a lot of faith to believe that.  Especially when their are groups of accusers to hold your sins against you.  The groups you are involved in sound like people that are NOT accusers.  That is life.

Be blessed friend.  I look forward to meeting you one fine day.