• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

1Co 15:44

It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

How do you interpret this verse? I have always believed it meant that humans have a natural body and a soul dwelling inside of us. The first man is our natural bodies, and our second man is when we become souls when we die.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  16

4 hours ago, JacquelineDeane55 said:

It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

How do you interpret this verse? I have always believed it meant that humans have a natural body and a soul dwelling inside of us. The first man is our natural bodies, and our second man is when we become souls when we die.

You ARE a spirit...that is the fundamental essence of your being.   Spirit is what we are, and our spirits possess a soul, a mind, will, emotions, which  makes us WHO we are.  Both are housed in a flesh body, which  is  natural, earth born, made of dust...to which it must return.

When we try to touch on and understand much of this we really need to understand what the Bible says death is.  We tend to think of death as sleep..a state of unconsciousness, but that isn't how the Bible defines it.

The Bible describes two deaths, a first and a second.  Because of Adam's fall, and our inheritance of it, we were born into the "second death"....with a "dead" spirit.

The second death is separation from God, not lack of conscious awareness.  The first death is death of the flesh, which is what separates us from the physical body we now temporarily inhabit (also not a state of unconsciousness).

No man living has escaped the  first death, and none will until after the Judgement when the heavens and the earth  are both renewed.  Those born after that will be born alive spiritually, in spiritual bodies.   No man has ever been born with  a living spirit....all of us were born spiritually dead.  To  live spiritually  we must be born again.

So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption.

It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power.

It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual.

The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven.

As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly.

And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.

When this flesh dies, the appointed fate of all men, those who are born again (spiritually alive) will receive a new physical body, made from the substance of heaven (whatever that is) and it will be a body that is no  longer limited by "earthborn" limitations.  We don't have a full revelation of all that means, but we can get some clues by observing what Jesus was capable of after the resurrection.

He was fully capable of solid, physical presence with this world.  He ate with His disciples, and they were able to touch and handle Him.  But He also had abilities we do not have.  Given that He appeared to disciples in many  places in a short period of time, it seems likely He  was able to step out of this realm, into another, and step back into this realm in a completely  different place.

We can be certain that He was somehow able to simply appear inside a locked room...the Bible  clearly states that He did just that.  So we may not have a full understanding of how all that works yet, but we will.  Because at the  resurrection we will be given a physical body like the  one He has.  A spiritual body, incorruptible...not subject to death at all.

Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

At the resurrection (and after the Judgement), those who are not born again, will be turned over to the  power of the second death eternally...which  is the lake of fire.  Forever cut off from the presence of God.

I don't know if that answered the question you  meant to ask.  And I avoided  posting the Scriptures that back up each  statement to avoid writing a book :)  But, I'd be happy to do that if any  part of what I said so far needs confirmation.

Paul used the analogy  of "sowing" ....our physical body is a seed.  The spiritual body that springs and grows up after the physical body is sown in death  will be defined by the characteristics developed in the seed before it died.  Once the seed dies, there is no more potential for change.

Edited by Jostler
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 hours ago, JacquelineDeane55 said:

Without making the effort to dig too deeply into this, I would agree with your interpretation, except I believe we already have souls, don't we?