Church Confused

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have gone to my parents’ church all my life but did not become a true follower of Christ until 2 years ago as God changed my heart and opened my eyes to see Him. Since then, God has given me a God-fearing man to walk with, support, serve God, and glorify God together. We have been very intentionally dating and intend to be engaged very soon, God-willing. 

As I still regularly attend my parents’ church and now serve there in the children’s ministry, my boyfriend regularly attends his own church in which both of us also lead the youth fellowship, and we both also attended a third church’s Saturday night service so that we could worship together. Both my boyfriend and I don’t feel that the preaching at each of our churches are always Biblical and often leave us feeling heartbroken for the church, and empty as we are not being spiritually fed at the pulpit on Sundays. However, the third church we attended on Saturdays has constant solid preaching which really supports our growth and understanding of Christ (but the Saturday service is canceled and there is only Sunday service now).

The problem is that I am now serving at BOTH my church, his church. The third church we both wish to attend and plug in at is only available on Sundays now . As I had felt God’s calling to serve at my church, and am serving at my boyfriend’s church because there is a need and no one else to serve, I can’t help but feel torn and that I am not committed to a body of Christ. I want to commit to the third church but don’t feel that I can right now because I am also serving at other churches. 

Because of this, I feel frustrated on a weekly basis and am not sure what do to. We are both praying about this but I would really appreciate knowing what you think about this.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/8/2020 at 1:58 PM, AndreaHY said:

The problem is that I am now serving at BOTH my church, his church. The third church we both wish to attend and plug in at is only available on Sundays now . As I had felt God’s calling to serve at my church, and am serving at my boyfriend’s church because there is a need and no one else to serve, I can’t help but feel torn and that I am not committed to a body of Christ. I want to commit to the third church but don’t feel that I can right now because I am also serving at other churches. 

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to worthy, You will need to log in to the welcome section if you want to reply. 

You are a young adult now, and as you go on to form your own family you will want to make your own decisions on which church is best for you. I Have a feeling you may end up with your Boyfriends church if he is particularly fond of that church? unless he too is of the same mindset that the third church is better? As You are not married yet, that decision doesn't not need to be finalized until then. So I would continue what you are doing until you are married, or if this is too much responsibility just say to one of the churches that I can no longer serve there. When You are married you will have to walk your own path, and I am sure your parents will understand if you do not choose their church or your boyfriends parents their church.... There may be some grief involved, but the bible speaks of leaving the parents and becoming a new whole when we are married. (Eph. 5:31) Until you are married, you are living in two worlds. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.69
  • Days Won:  226

On 2/8/2020 at 10:58 AM, AndreaHY said:

I have gone to my parents’ church all my life but did not become a true follower of Christ until 2 years ago as God changed my heart and opened my eyes to see Him. Since then, God has given me a God-fearing man to walk with, support, serve God, and glorify God together. We have been very intentionally dating and intend to be engaged very soon, God-willing. 

As I still regularly attend my parents’ church and now serve there in the children’s ministry, my boyfriend regularly attends his own church in which both of us also lead the youth fellowship, and we both also attended a third church’s Saturday night service so that we could worship together. Both my boyfriend and I don’t feel that the preaching at each of our churches are always Biblical and often leave us feeling heartbroken for the church, and empty as we are not being spiritually fed at the pulpit on Sundays. However, the third church we attended on Saturdays has constant solid preaching which really supports our growth and understanding of Christ (but the Saturday service is canceled and there is only Sunday service now).

Because of this, I feel frustrated on a weekly basis and am not sure what do to. We are both praying about this but I would really appreciate knowing what you think about this.

You should attend the Church where you can grow in Christ.