• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

Celebrities

Gal 2:6  As for those who seemed to be important— whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearance— those men added nothing to my message.

While the Christian community throughout history has been obsessed with "celebrities", there should be no one person who is reckoned more important than another. And everyone should be subject to scrutiny. Religious elitism has been the norm for all sects - Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Evangelical, Charismatic. All have their celebrities they treat as if infallible. Consequently you will find aspects of the gospel which have been corrupted in all these denomination sects as the opinions of their celebrities are not allowed to be scrutinized in light of scripture.

Paul didn't allow such a thing in his ministry. No matter how "important" a person is thought to be by their followers. Later Paul even rebuked the apostle Peter for his man-fear of such "important" people. There should be no room for pride in the Christian community. "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." And God opposes the proud." Nonetheless the history of Christianity, even in the church at Jerusalem, is full of proud Christians, adding on their own regulations to the gospel, whether it be padeobaptism, ceremonial works, or the like.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

27 minutes ago, bcbsr said:

Celebrities

Gal 2:6  As for those who seemed to be important— whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearance— those men added nothing to my message.

While the Christian community throughout history has been obsessed with "celebrities", there should be no one person who is reckoned more important than another. And everyone should be subject to scrutiny. Religious elitism has been the norm for all sects - Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Evangelical, Charismatic. All have their celebrities they treat as if infallible. Consequently you will find aspects of the gospel which have been corrupted in all these denomination sects as the opinions of their celebrities are not allowed to be scrutinized in light of scripture.

Paul didn't allow such a thing in his ministry. No matter how "important" a person is thought to be by their followers. Later Paul even rebuked the apostle Peter for his man-fear of such "important" people. There should be no room for pride in the Christian community. "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." And God opposes the proud." Nonetheless the history of Christianity, even in the church at Jerusalem, is full of proud Christians, adding on their own regulations to the gospel, whether it be padeobaptism, ceremonial works, or the like.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

A very good commentary. Thanks for making a relevant point of view. I also feel we have far too many so-called "Christian Celebs" who are mere opportunists of the faith. Well said, bro.