IGNORED

Is it Okay to go to the Hypnotist for help?

Guest shadow2b
I have been suffering from insomnia for about 5 years and have been on sleep medication, on and off for 4 years, and permament for the past year. It bothers me not to be able to go to sleep without a pill (I tried). Finally, I mustered up the courage to go and try hypnosis, but there is still a doubt in my head about it being okay for a Christian to go to a hypnotist. I don't think it will be helpful to have doubts and go, I best make sure and clear it up before I go or not go at all.

What do you all think about going to a

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  0

shadow you crack me up....I tripped out of my chair so I could go share that one with my hubby! :thumb:

:)  ;)  :)  :P

ahhhhh there goes the mascara I just put on....time for re-apply! ;)

Love and Blessings

Angel H.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Melatonin! Works like a "dream" ...argghhhh.... :)

Oh, that was baaaaaadd.....

BTW, I only use over-the-counter stuff sleep aids.

Some people get relief using "Sleepy Time Tea"...nothing works for me. I just toss and turn. Oh, well...this too shall pass.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  396
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  09/26/1961

Better late than never? i have nothing NEW to add, but like catsmeow I take melatonin. I have a few suggestions:

Take it about an hour before you hit the hay. You don't exercise at night, do you? Don't.

Also a bedtime ritual is important. Your body has convinced your mind that you cannot sleep. You have to trick it by re-training it. This takes time and patience. DON"T pray for patience--you never know what you'll get! :) God really listens to that prayer, I've found! :)

Try taking your melatonin, taking your magnesium, and a warm bath with lavender. Lavender is very relaxing. So is Vanilla. Aromatherapy really works, I use it alot. All natural and very enjoyable too! In your bath, drink a cup of lemon-ginger or other caffeine-free tea. tea. Ginger is good for everything. Put honey in the tea. Soft lighting is important; if you don't have a dimmer on your bathroom lights, get one. $5 at any Lowe's. If possible, listen to some classical music in the bath. Soft and easy, nothing with lyrics.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  444

Whether or not you should go to the hypnotist is up to you, but I have seen a lot of misunderstanding about what hypnosis is and is not.

When under hypnosis, you do not give up your will. A hypnotist cannot make a person do something that they would not normally do while fully conscious or that goes against their morals.

However, it is important that you trust the person you are going to. It is also important that the person knows of any traumatic events that the one to be hypnotized has experienced. People have been known to have a panic attack while under hypnosis because a therapist made a suggestion that was stressful to the individual.

Hypnosis is a sleep-like state and it is very natural. If you have ever "blanked out" in school or experienced a moment when you were staring off, or if you were traveling and suddenly you were furhter along than you expected, you were in a state of hypnosis. This is not usually as deep as you will experience with a hypnotist, but it is along the same lines. You can also experience a state of hypnosis if you are really concentrating on a task. This would be if someone has ever tried to get your attention and you did not hear the person because you were reading or doing something else that had your attention, that is a state of hypnosis.

A lot of the stuff you see in movies about hypnosis is not real and greatly over-exaggerated...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

FHA:

You go, girl!!!! I like candles myself and definitely the classical music and potpourri.  

Ever notice how easy it is to fall asleep in the car though. The vibration always makes me drousy. When I start to drift off, my husband doesn't like it {he wants me to keep him company while he drives} so he starts to sing. That always wakes me up. He makes sure he's singing with his "worst" voice, too.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  400

I guess different people have different problems. I am so tired at night I fall asleep the minute my head hits the pillow. I have the box fan though, and when we go somewhere I have to take the fan or I can't sleep, and when I do get to sleep its not restful. Usually when my husband leaves for a while I have a hard time getting into bed, but this time he left and I am sick, so I can go to bed at 8pm and be asleep in 5 minutes.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Well there you go, Tatie, all the advice in the world, and all good. Shadow cracks me up too, and he's in pain,but his love for the Lord and prayer keeps him going. I've been on immovane tabs for fifteen years, one a night before bed, and I'm out like a light. I can't do without them now, but it does'nt matter, it's the only medication I use. But I'll pray for you Tatie right now. Bless our sister, tatie, now Father, in the name of Jesus, Send your comforter to her each night that her mind may be made cleared of all thoughts that may