Spiritual Gifts Question

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have been a born-again Christian since June 2019, and recently my curiosity towards spiritual gifts has heightened substantially. I have asked God to bring forth a curiosity within me towards the gift(s) that He has planned for me, and so far the two that have intrigued me most are discernment of spirits and tongues, however I’d love some clarification.

1. I’ve been told that praying in tongues is not a spiritual gift but rather evidence of the Holy Spirit, but speaking in tongues (with an interpreter by ones side) is a spiritual gift. Do you have any more information on this, to help with clarification?

2. I noticed the second gift that intrigues me doesn’t say “discernment” but rather “discernment OF spirits” implying that one would recognize the different spirits (chains, bondages, etc) that is holding someone back, along with whether the Holy Sprit is present, etc. How is this determined? Would one immediately recognize the spirit by communicating with this individual? Is it primarily used for the purposes of deliverance? 

3. How should I ask God for confirmation? My fiancé received confirmation of his gifts through prophesy in church, however I can’t expect the same to happen to me. It would be lovely sure, but I don’t expect it. Is praying for confirmation the best way? Is there something that can hinder it from being recognized?

I am wondering if you have any specific information on these two gifts, ways to recognize if one may have it, how to grow in it, etc.

Thank you very much. God bless!

Vanessa Perpetu

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom @blessed-x

5 hours ago, blessed-x said:

I have been a born-again Christian since June 2019

HalleluYah! Praise Him for His Grace and Mercy.

First of all, have you been baptised in the Holy Spirit?  This is separate from water baptism and when it happens - you'll know!  Don't just assume it has happened if you are unsure.  Seek this above all things.

I was a Christian for about 15 years, assuming (and being told) I was already baptised by the Holy Spirit.  However, I doubted it and so sought it with my whole heart and it happened and I was changed from then. 

But, for the sake of brevity, let's assume you have indeed received this baptism...

1. I’ve been told that praying in tongues is not a spiritual gift but rather evidence of the Holy Spirit

Yes and no.  Speaking in another language often accompanies some when they receive the Holy Spirit - but not all.  It is a gift and seems to be for the purpose of reaching others in their language and extolling God with words that the Spirit gives you as you speak. 

Beware of those who advise that you need to 'make your own tongue' by bumbling odd words and sounds of your own creation!  Some teach this, explaining that you you won't speak in tongues unless you first start creating random sounds with your mouth first.  This isn't Biblical but is closer to occult practices (though the person advising this is probably ignorant of that fact).

But again, not everyone speaks in tongues. It's not like a seal of approval from God or anything.  It's one of the gifts.  

How is this determined? Would one immediately recognize the spirit by communicating with this individual? Is it primarily used for the purposes of deliverance? 

All gifts of the Spirit are for the purpose of edification of the Church or extolling Yahweh.  

As for my understanding of those with the gift of discernment is that it comes very naturally.  It's not fuzzy or slowly developed, but clear to them. It can be used to assist for the purposes of deliverance and spiritual foresight of strongholds and attacks.

It's likely that someone with a calling of spiritual warfare or healing will have this gift.  

How should I ask God for confirmation?

Assuming you have been baptised with the Holy Spirit, why not pray and seek Him on this directly?  If He hasn't answered you, keep asking!  He will reward the diligent with answers.  It might not be a voice from Heaven, but it could very well be a live example when you least expect it and your gifting will shine.  Only keep seeking Him directly on this matter - and don't stop until you know.

6 hours ago, blessed-x said:

My fiancé received confirmation of his gifts through prophesy in church, however I can’t expect the same to happen to me. It would be lovely sure, but I don’t expect it.

Why not?  

6 hours ago, blessed-x said:

Is praying for confirmation the best way? Is there something that can hinder it from being recognized?

Praying is always the advisable course.  It's not that Yahweh doesn't know your heart, but there is something special that happens when we vocalise it.  And not just once, but often. 

You need to seek Him diligently and passionately on the matter.  There are numerous Scriptures in the New Testament where the Messiah advises us to keep on asking and you will get an answer.  Again, Sometimes praying once is enough, sometimes praying more is needed. 

Prepare your heart and walk before Him, so you can ask boldly and with confidence and not shying away because of unconfessed behaviours and attitudes.   And most importantly, trust!  Ask and believe you will get and answer.  Believe He is faithful to answer your prayer.  Try to stop this "I don't expect it" kinda response.  Ask, continue to ask and believe.  Hope and even get excited at receiving the answer - I believe this pleases the Father and He will answer you.

Now, don't assume your gift will be tongues or discernment.  It may be something else entirely.  But it will be something that is totally appropriate for you and will bring you and, more importantly, others blessings.

Finally, I recommend you meditate on 1 Corinthians 12 & 13.  Read it through deeply and slowly and as often as it takes to "digest".   

May Yahweh bless you and your fiance with wisdom, health and joy - and may He hasten your Spiritual Gift and your understanding of it, in the name of our Lord Jesus.

Love & Shalom

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

16 hours ago, blessed-x said:

I have been a born-again Christian since June 2019, and recently my curiosity towards spiritual gifts has heightened substantially. I have asked God to bring forth a curiosity within me towards the gift(s) that He has planned for me, and so far the two that have intrigued me most are discernment of spirits and tongues, however I’d love some clarification.

1. I’ve been told that praying in tongues is not a spiritual gift but rather evidence of the Holy Spirit, but speaking in tongues (with an interpreter by ones side) is a spiritual gift. Do you have any more information on this, to help with clarification?

2. I noticed the second gift that intrigues me doesn’t say “discernment” but rather “discernment OF spirits” implying that one would recognize the different spirits (chains, bondages, etc) that is holding someone back, along with whether the Holy Sprit is present, etc. How is this determined? Would one immediately recognize the spirit by communicating with this individual? Is it primarily used for the purposes of deliverance? 

3. How should I ask God for confirmation? My fiancé received confirmation of his gifts through prophesy in church, however I can’t expect the same to happen to me. It would be lovely sure, but I don’t expect it. Is praying for confirmation the best way? Is there something that can hinder it from being recognized?

I am wondering if you have any specific information on these two gifts, ways to recognize if one may have it, how to grow in it, etc.

Thank you very much. God bless!

Vanessa Perpetu

Question 1: Is there any value in speaking in tongues if no one understands what you are saying? Paul said this: 

[27] If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn; and let one interpret.
[28] But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silence in church and speak to himself and to God. 1 Cor 14:27-28 RSV 

Question 2: I don’t claim to completely understand the notion of discerning spirits, but as one grows in wisdom and understanding, they will learn to see people more for what they really are. Some sincerely want to do the Lord’s will. Others are more concerned with self-aggrandizement and are rather clever in how they go about it. Some of the latter are church leaders who lead their congregations astray.

Question 3: In 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Paul teaches us to pray constantly. When you do that, you develop a relationship with God and he answers your questions and leads you in his ways. I would focus on developing that relationship.