• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

Why do Christians suffer? After all, it really isn’t a good selling point, is it, if I say, “Come be a Christian and suffer”? 

Experience tells me the reason we suffer is that we’ve all sinned, and sin has unpleasant consequences. There is an obvious lesson to be learned from this, isn’t there, if one understands that God forgives repentant sinners?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

What one Christian may see as suffering another will see as a trial.  To label something you are going through as "suffering" is to have a rather pessimistic view.  What is truly happening is a trial which is meant to build you up and equip you will skills and tools for later use.

Christians are not punished for their sin, as they no longer live under the curse of the law; however, that does not mean Christians don't sin.  They absolutely do, and God continually works on them so they sin less, but they are not sinless.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

that's a great question the book of Job talks alot about suffering,  this book explains about what God says about the subject

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  416
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

1 hour ago, johnthebaptist said:

Why do Christians suffer? After all, it really isn’t a good selling point, is it, if I say, “Come be a Christian and suffer”? 

Many of God’s servants are in situations that involve personal suffering.  To list in what ways we suffer would be to create a list that would hardly end.  Our suffering continues because God has not yet destroyed the wicked and brought about the foretold restoration of mankind, but we should not become embittered, because we can see such situations as opportunities to have a share in proving the Devil a liar.  We can be strengthened to continue resisting the Evil One if we keep in mind the appeal: “Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, that I may make a reply to him that is taunting me.” (Proverbs 27:11) Satan, the one who taunts God, charged that if people suffer material loss or physical affliction, they will blame God, even curse him. (Job 1:9-11; 2:4, 5) We bring joy to God's heart when, by our loyalty to him in the face of hardships, we show that such is not true in our case.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

1 hour ago, Knotical said:

What one Christian may see as suffering another will see as a trial.  To label something you are going through as "suffering" is to have a rather pessimistic view.  What is truly happening is a trial which is meant to build you up and equip you will skills and tools for later use.

Christians are not punished for their sin, as they no longer live under the curse of the law; however, that does not mean Christians don't sin.  They absolutely do, and God continually works on them so they sin less, but they are not sinless.

God doesn't punish us for our sin, but there are unpleasant consequences that result from our sin, and if we remain unrepentant, the Lord allows us to experience those unpleasant consequences.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

1 Peter 4:[16] Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

13 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

God doesn't punish us for our sin, but there are unpleasant consequences that result from our sin, and if we remain unrepentant, the Lord allows us to experience those unpleasant consequences.

Which can be seen as part of a trial, rather than a punishment.  Ostensibly a punishment has no positive benefit for the recipient, whereas a trial, or discipline, has an intended positive outcome.