• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Everyone

I have noticed on Facebook lately, a lot of negative comments on posts.  These posts range from current world events to posts in groups where people come together from across the globe, to share photos of views from their windows, yards or places near where they live.  It seems that the current epidemic in particular has brought out a lot of so-called "trolls", who go about scanning positive, happy posts, and leaving their own negative, sometimes angry, hurtful comments.  They often post comments such as "there is no God" or "Jesus Christ doesn't exist, and if he did, he wouldn't appear like that", and other ignorant, controversial and upsetting statements, which are obviously designed to incite heated discussions.  

I try my best to ignore these negative comments, and of course, they are always going to be there.  Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wonder why these "haters" don't just create their own angry, atheistic groups and stick together like we Christians do?

I welcome comments on this topic, and would be very interested in other people's opinions and experiences.

Wishing health, and blessings to all.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,033
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Erica67 said:

Hi Everyone

I have noticed on Facebook lately, a lot of negative comments on posts.  These posts range from current world events to posts in groups where people come together from across the globe, to share photos of views from their windows, yards or places near where they live.  It seems that the current epidemic in particular has brought out a lot of so-called "trolls", who go about scanning positive, happy posts, and leaving their own negative, sometimes angry, hurtful comments.  They often post comments such as "there is no God" or "Jesus Christ doesn't exist, and if he did, he wouldn't appear like that", and other ignorant, controversial and upsetting statements, which are obviously designed to incite heated discussions.  

I try my best to ignore these negative comments, and of course, they are always going to be there.  Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wonder why these "haters" don't just create their own angry, atheistic groups and stick together like we Christians do?

I welcome comments on this topic, and would be very interested in other people's opinions and experiences.

Hi Erica67, Your post reminds me of the saying, "You can't prevent the birds from flying over you but you can prevent them from nesting in your hair." 

Scoffers, scorners, and naysayers have been around since Cain slew Able. There are steps we can take to minimise our exposure to them online, and some sites are just not worth lingering on after posting evangelistic material. Obviously @DDisconnect was touched by the Gospel at some juncture so enduring the pushbacks from atheists in order to witness is definitely worthwhile if God leads you to do it.

Psa 1:1-6  Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;  (2)  But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.  (3)  He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.  (4)  The ungodly are not so, But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.  (5)  Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.  (6)  For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the ungodly shall perish.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

2 hours ago, Erica67 said:

Hi Everyone

Thx Erica for your observations. I was an atheist for 20 years. A radical one. I hated all forms of even the concept of a god. But a very gracious Mathematician---a Christian---introduced me to the Dean of the Mathematics Department who invited me to his home. I was stunned to learn that men of logic could know the Lord. Yet, during dinner, he kindly allowed me to ramble on for a full 45 minutes. Then he said the following: "Coliseum, it is okay to search. But don't take too long. You'd better start finding." Although that was not the time God used to save me, it was a seed that never left. I would be taken to the point of death before I was able to utter these words: "If there really is a god, you must save me in the next second because in the one after, I will not be here." As certain were those words, that mustard seed of faith was enough, and God did not let that fraction of a second pass before He intervened.

To the atheist, I can experientially say that i have been on both sides of the street and have every right to choose for myself which is the better side. The atheist has no argument and simply demands that he does not believe. He has no anchor and nothing from which to draw any real argument. When you cross over a bridge, you must test its strength. You do not send a cat over it, but a train. The bridge of his argument is too weak to sustain him and it collapses. At best, he repeats himself with the same disguised words---"I do not believe." It is his right not too, and that is where I leave it. :)

Edited by Coliseum
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

Hi DDisconnect,

Thank  you for your input.  I think you're right.  Some people just seem to get a kick out of upsetting others or making them angry.  It's quite amusing to watch.  Yes, it's not worth getting into an online argument over! 

Blessings to you :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello Michael37

Well said.  There will always be scoffers and scorners and I choose to turn a blind eye to the troublemakers. Love the quote.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello Coliseum

Yours is a very powerful story!  The Lord works in mysterious ways, doesn't he?  It never ceases to amaze me how He will use people to draw others towards Him.

I have great compassion for the atheist, as he doesn't know any better, and he doesn't know what he's missing out on! I love your analogy of the bridge.  That is a great description of strength.

Thanks so much for sharing.  I love hearing people's stories of how they were saved.

Have a lovely day!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

4 hours ago, Erica67 said:

Hi Everyone

Well... this is life.  Sounds trite and useless, right?  But this is what you are going to face in the world.

Unless you live as a secret agent Christian, where you live like the pagans, so that no one anywhere knows you are Christian.  Then you will escape the criticism of the world.

But Facebook is just a filtered version of what you have in real life.  I've had people, on the company floor, tell me that I was responsible for the Crusades.   And this angry Atheist yelled it.   So everyone in the company heard it.

It was a month later I was laid off.  To this day, I believe it is possible... don't know for sure... but possible I was fired because I was Christian.

If you intend to live as a Christian in this pagan G-d hating world, you are going to have to face those hateful comments.

Without getting too detailed, I have some stuff on Youtube, and I've already had people live comments like "your channel sucks, take it down.  No one wants to see your videos".

Who cares?   Why should I care what the pagans think?

Mark Gungor, a pastor, he posts stuff on Facebook, and if you leave a negative comment, he never responds.  He just blocks.

But my answer to you is, unless you live in a tiny town, where everyone knows everyone, and you block outsiders from coming to your town.... we live in a hate filled, pagan ruled world.  This is how life is.

For me, I just roll with it.  I block people.  I ban people.  I delete posts, and comments.  But at some point, you are just going to have to face the fact, in the words of that brilliant theologian Taylor Swift....  Haters gonna hate.  Just learn to let it go, and move forward with your life.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, LonerAndy for your response.  Yes, "haters gonna hate" for sure.  And yes, I have let it go.  I mostly started this thread because I was interested in other people's opinions.  Even in the bible, Jesus said people would hate us because of him, and that we'd be persecuted and He was right!  Wow, I hope you weren't fired because you're a Christian.  That's discrimination, but then there's a lot of that in this world.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

9 hours ago, Erica67 said:

Thank you, LonerAndy for your response.  Yes, "haters gonna hate" for sure.  And yes, I have let it go.  I mostly started this thread because I was interested in other people's opinions.  Even in the bible, Jesus said people would hate us because of him, and that we'd be persecuted and He was right!  Wow, I hope you weren't fired because you're a Christian.  That's discrimination, but then there's a lot of that in this world.

Discrimination because you are Christian, is unofficially legal.  I've actually had that happen a couple of times.

I was working at a place that hired mainly Muslims.  They actually had a small prayer room, for Muslims, so they could get up and go pray during the day.   And on Friday, they would all leave and go to the mosque.   I was one of two white Americans working there, and I would be sitting and working on Friday, and look up, and the room was empty.

One day, a guy asked me how much I was making there.  I assumed everyone was earning the same, and told him.   He looked at me in bewilderment.  "You know you are the lowest paid person in this building?  The people in shipping make more than that".  I just laughed, because it was so obvious after he said it.   Yeah, I was Christian.  No one else in the building was Christian.  Of course I'm paid the least.

There was a Muslim next to me, who was from Chicago.   The two across from me, were from East Africa, and the Middle East.   The two non-Americans, were skeptical of the American Muslim.  They grilled him on knowing Arabic, and reciting the prayers.   Finally, they got to his allegiance.  He was American.  Americans love America.  Do you really support Islam?

Keep in mind, I'm right there.  The desks are arranged in a square.  So this guy in Chicago is right next to me.   He tells them that yes he supports Islam over America.   Then they ask "What will you do if the Imam calls for a Jihad?"

I remember this so clearly.  "I will fight with the Muslims and kill the infidels.  Of course".

Again I'm sitting right there.  That's when I stopped and looked at him.  Then they all looked at me.  Long pause.   Then we went back to work.  Dead silence the rest of the day.

I can't speak for everyone, but if you are a Christian, that is not afraid to be known as a Christian, and you work with pagans... things will happen.  That's all I can say.  Stuff will happen, if you are not afraid to be known as a Christian.  :)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.07