• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  673
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, RonaldBruno said:

So you think verse 17 is communicating something different than verses 16 and 18 and don't see them all in the same context?

I see the the spirit warring against the flesh. I am conscious of the lure, the lust of the flesh, the pride of life.  I am conscious that if I don't get up and cover my day with a prayer for His guidance and protection, the enemy will mess with me. He knows my weaknesses. He can't destroy us or snatch us out of the Fathers hand, but he can certainly distract and disturb our walk. This is why the Bible continually reminds us to walk in the spirit, to deny the old self DAILY.

As Christians we are told to mortify the old self, die to the self. But even as we believe wholeheartedly, we sometimes fall back into our old habits. I do see this war going on. But of course Christ has defeated sin and death in us so spiritually we are secure, sealed, saved.

We walk in the spirit and simply say no to these fleshly temptations as they come. Yes, are under Grace, not the Law. But do we always love our neighbors as ourselves? Do we love our enemies? If all Christians did that, wow ... that would I guess be the unlimited potential available to us. Why haven't we reached it? Sin still gets in the way.

Paul stated clearly that he did things that he didn't want to do spiritually, but that his sinful flesh was responsible for those things. He too saw them working  in opposition to each other at the same time. That is what verse 17 says. It also implies that YOU and everyone else "may not do the things that you please". Again, no one walks perfectly in the Spirit. None of the prophets did, none of the Apostles, none of the Popes, Priests, Pastors or anyone else has walked perfectly in the Spirit. We have our moments of perfection. I believe God's will is done through us to accomplish His perfect plan. But rest assured He factors in all our blunders.  Thankfully He is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent,  loving,  merciful, forgiving, patient and gracious.

Then you should tare the following verse from your Bible...

Galatians 5:16,18
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  452
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

4 hours ago, Peterlag said:

Then you should tare the following verse from your Bible...

Galatians 5:16,18
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Paul wrote that and understood that it was a conscious daily decision, backed by prayer, with the power of God to enable you. Why would God numerously remind the Christian throughout the Bible not to fall into sin if the new born never had problem with it?

"For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body , you will live." Rom.8:13

>>> That means we actively put to death (mortify) the deeds of the flesh, it is an ongoing, daily task'

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

>>> Is this message just for the unbeliever or is it for us as well?

"And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption." Eph. 4:30

>>> Wait a minute now, could this message be for Peterlag too?

Each Epistle written by Paul contained some sort of rebuke, correction and warnings:

"And do not be conformed  to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Rom. 12:2

>>> This is spiritual growth. One doesn't become mature at the moment he believes. He is not even aware of many of his sins and must now clean house. Again your spirit is cleansed. But sanctification is ALSO a process, by which the Spirit separates you from your bad habits.

"Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy." Rom. 13:13

>>> Some need to be reminded of this, especially if it was part of their old ways.

"Now I plead with you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." 1 Cor. 1:10

>>> Emmm ... Do you think there is division in the body of Christ? There are constant arguments and disagreements, as you have plainly stated yourself.

"Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God." 2 Cor. 7:1

>>> Wait a minute, didn't Christ cleanse us already? Yes, our spirits, but apparently the Corinthians came from a seriously stained life and backslid often. John MacArthur said that Corinth was like modern day Amsterdam - worldly, filled with the lustful living.

"Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage." Gal. 5:1

>>> Yes people, Christians get entangled in sin and revert back to being under the Law: but we understand that we our still held to this commandment: "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength ... and you shall love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:30, 31  

>>> Do we do this ... all the time? Gal. 5:19-21 is a long list of the works of the flesh >>> Are we involved in any of this activity? Those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God, but what if we don't practice them and slip up once in awhile? Spiritual maturity is being honest with yourself, looking in the mirror at your sin and recognizing it and asking for forgiveness to God and to others if we sin against them.

And what about the Seven Letters to the Seven Churches? Five out of seven received a rebuke and told to repent. Repent ... repent from what, I thought we all died to ourselves and were now walking purely with the Spirit? Nope. Philadelphia and Smyrna were the only churches not rebuked. The rest had problems. Well these were all first century churches; but also church -types throughout the ages and so we see these problems in the Church today, in ourselves, problems of the flesh!

• Well Said! 1

7 hours ago, RonaldBruno said:

Paul wrote that and understood that it was a conscious daily decision, backed by prayer, with the power of God to enable you. Why would God numerously remind the Christian throughout the Bible not to fall into sin if the new born never had problem with it?

"For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body , you will live." Rom.8:13

>>> That means we actively put to death (mortify) the deeds of the flesh, it is an ongoing, daily task'

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

>>> Is this message just for the unbeliever or is it for us as well?

"And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption." Eph. 4:30

>>> Wait a minute now, could this message be for Peterlag too?

Each Epistle written by Paul contained some sort of rebuke, correction and warnings:

"And do not be conformed  to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Rom. 12:2

>>> This is spiritual growth. One doesn't become mature at the moment he believes. He is not even aware of many of his sins and must now clean house. Again your spirit is cleansed. But sanctification is ALSO a process, by which the Spirit separates you from your bad habits.

"Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy." Rom. 13:13

>>> Some need to be reminded of this, especially if it was part of their old ways.

"Now I plead with you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." 1 Cor. 1:10

>>> Emmm ... Do you think there is division in the body of Christ? There are constant arguments and disagreements, as you have plainly stated yourself.

"Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God." 2 Cor. 7:1

>>> Wait a minute, didn't Christ cleanse us already? Yes, our spirits, but apparently the Corinthians came from a seriously stained life and backslid often. John MacArthur said that Corinth was like modern day Amsterdam - worldly, filled with the lustful living.

"Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage." Gal. 5:1

>>> Yes people, Christians get entangled in sin and revert back to being under the Law: but we understand that we our still held to this commandment: "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength ... and you shall love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:30, 31  

>>> Do we do this ... all the time? Gal. 5:19-21 is a long list of the works of the flesh >>> Are we involved in any of this activity? Those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God, but what if we don't practice them and slip up once in awhile? Spiritual maturity is being honest with yourself, looking in the mirror at your sin and recognizing it and asking for forgiveness to God and to others if we sin against them.

And what about the Seven Letters to the Seven Churches? Five out of seven received a rebuke and told to repent. Repent ... repent from what, I thought we all died to ourselves and were now walking purely with the Spirit? Nope. Philadelphia and Smyrna were the only churches not rebuked. The rest had problems. Well these were all first century churches; but also church -types throughout the ages and so we see these problems in the Church today, in ourselves, problems of the flesh!

You cannot understand what I'm talking about because you are looking at this thing from the flesh. Statements you make right out in front like a new born Christian. I'm looking at what is happening in the spirit. And this is why I mention walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. I can't get you out of this mindset you have been taught all of your life. The churches teach their people that the spirit makes their flesh spiritual. So we continue to work to clean up the flesh. I see the flesh as being dead in Christ. It's the "in" part that your not getting. I'm talking about whats "in" the spirit or what's "in" Christ. The flesh profited nothing.

3 hours ago, Peterlag said:

You cannot understand what I'm talking about because you are looking at this thing from the flesh. Statements you make right out in front like a new born Christian. I'm looking at what is happening in the spirit. And this is why I mention walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. I can't get you out of this mindset you have been taught all of your life. The churches teach their people that the spirit makes their flesh spiritual. So we continue to work to clean up the flesh. I see the flesh as being dead in Christ. It's the "in" part that your not getting. I'm talking about whats "in" the spirit or what's "in" Christ. The flesh profited nothing.

I know what it is to walk in the Spirit. I have been a Christian for 29 years - Born again. At times I am filled with the Holy Spirit, He lives in me.

In  Christ we are safe and secure. But you seem to think that since your old self died, the sin that dwells in the members of your flesh  no longer has an effect on you. Good! Maybe you have reached full spiritual maturity? 

My test for myself is examining myself in light of the fruit of the Spirit:  Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.

I look at them and realize that since I have been a Christian, God has grown these areas in my life - that did not happen over night, it's been a process. Just because He cleansed our spirit, doesn't mean we are immediately holy. If we die, our spirit separates from our flesh and yes we are presented pure and spotless. However, we who remain alive in this world still must practice those attributes given to us. And we all need to grow, be transformed into Christ-like beings. Spiritual sanctification is instant but then our mind, emotions and will needs to demonstrate, act out we we believe. It's easy to talk the talk.

I still get impatient, get frustrated and angry, flying off the handle sometimes - ( mainly with my mom and my wife). I still get selfish and do things that might be viewed as NOT loving my neighbor as myself. I have come a long way and as the phrase goes ( I am a work in progress)

All of us are practicing Loving God and our neighbor and fail at times and so we are reminded to walk in the spirit, focus in things above, on Jesus, but we don't ALL the time. If we did the world would see the light in all of us. The world would see Christ in everyone one of us without flaws and hypocrisy.  

So two  questions: Do you fail at times with loving God and others? Are you a sinner? ( Not one who practices sin but one who slips up now and then and needs to confess to God and others when it happens)?

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

UNDERSTANDING??

PROVERBS 18:12  before destruction the heart of man is haughty and before honor is humility 

ROMANS 12:3  for I say --THROUGH  THE  GRACE  GIVEN  UNTO  ME-- to every man that is among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think but to think soberly according as  GOD  hath dealt to every man --THE  MEASURE  OF  FAITH--

EPHESIANS 4:7  but unto everyone of us is given grace according to the --MEASURE  OF  THE  GIFT  OF  CHRIST--

2 PETER 3:18  --BUT  GROW  IN  GRACE  ---  AND  IN  THE  KNOWLEDGE-- OF OUR  LORD  AND  SAVIOUR  JESUS  CHRIST -- to  HIM  be glory both now and forever  -- AMEN

JOHN 7:17  if any man will do  HIS  will he shall know of the doctrine whether it be of  GOD  or whether  --I  SPEAK  OF  MYSELF--

--7:18-- HE  THAT  SPEAKETH  OF  HIMSELF  SEEKETH  HIS  OWN  GLORY-- but he that seeketh  HIS  GLORY  that sent him the same is true --- AND  NO  UNRIGHTEOUSNESS IS  IN  HIM

PROVERBS 8:8  all the words of  MY  MOUTH  are in righteousness there is nothing froward or perverse in them 

--8:20-- I lead in --THE  WAY  OF  RIGHTEOUSNESS-- in the midst of the paths of judgement 

--8:13-- the fear of  THE  LORD  is to hate evil pride and arrogancy and the evil way and the froward mouth --DO  I  HATE--

--8:14-- counsel is mine and sound wisdom --I  AM  UNDERSTANDING-- I have strength

2 TIMOTHY 2:7  CONSIDER  WHAT  I  SAY  AND  THE  LORD  GIVE  THEE  UNDERSTANDING  --IN  ALL  THINGS--

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST 

Though I am of the Prostestant faith, I do not discount Catholics as Christians and part of the body of Christ.

I just saw a Nun speak in the RNC. She was a doctor and worked in various countries like Haiti, Sudan helping the poor. She sacrificed her life and loved others even more than herself. She spoke about pro-life.

Like Mother Teresa, I would say she walked in the Spirit. I think the workers are few that actually demonstrate their love in this capacity. 

If one has great faith as these, then it is for a purpose to be used by God in a special way. I look at Billy Graham that way too. In these people, you see God's power doing incredible things.

I remember an interview of Mother Teresa in the last few years of her life. The news reporter asked her, "Who will take your place?" She turned to her and said, "You can!" Well you should have seen the reaction of this female reporter as if a guilt flag went up. She was humbled, embarrassed, because she knew her answer was written all over her face.

Not everyone can walk in the Spirit all the time.

Bravo to those who can.

7 hours ago, RonaldBruno said:

I know what it is to walk in the Spirit. I have been a Christian for 29 years - Born again. At times I am filled with the Holy Spirit, He lives in me.

In  Christ we are safe and secure. But you seem to think that since your old self died, the sin that dwells in the members of your flesh  no longer has an effect on you. Good! Maybe you have reached full spiritual maturity? 

My test for myself is examining myself in light of the fruit of the Spirit:  Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.

I look at them and realize that since I have been a Christian, God has grown these areas in my life - that did not happen over night, it's been a process. Just because He cleansed our spirit, doesn't mean we are immediately holy. If we die, our spirit separates from our flesh and yes we are presented pure and spotless. However, we who remain alive in this world still must practice those attributes given to us. And we all need to grow, be transformed into Christ-like beings. Spiritual sanctification is instant but then our mind, emotions and will needs to demonstrate, act out we we believe. It's easy to talk the talk.

I still get impatient, get frustrated and angry, flying off the handle sometimes - ( mainly with my mom and my wife). I still get selfish and do things that might be viewed as NOT loving my neighbor as myself. I have come a long way and as the phrase goes ( I am a work in progress)

All of us are practicing Loving God and our neighbor and fail at times and so we are reminded to walk in the spirit, focus in things above, on Jesus, but we don't ALL the time. If we did the world would see the light in all of us. The world would see Christ in everyone one of us without flaws and hypocrisy.  

So two  questions: Do you fail at times with loving God and others? Are you a sinner? ( Not one who practices sin but one who slips up now and then and needs to confess to God and others when it happens)?

What do you think John meant when he penned...

1 John 3 & 5
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not.

2 hours ago, Peterlag said:

What do you think John meant when he penned...

1 John 3 & 5
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not.

"If this declaration related to any one act of sin, none of us could ever say that we have seen or known him, but it relates to the habit of sin, — if we love sin, and live in sin, if the main course of our life is sinful, then we have “not seen him, neither known him.” Charles Spurgeon

Long ago, I struggled with these passages, I was conflicted. I prayed about it and God eventually made it clear. It is the practicing of sin, being a slave to it thay we were freed from. But like a computer, we once operated under a flawed program, then God comes along and gives a new program. This program is clean, perfect, without flaws. The problem is we dont readily discard the old program that quickly. Its still on our desktop and we look at it, sometimes even miss certain aspects of it and then we click on it and open it up again thinking we are in control, we can handle it ... see this is harmless, I'm not hurting anyone ... We compromise and make excuses, then that leads to covering up our sin, hiding or lying about it. 

What about this verse, what does it mean to you? 

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."  1 John 1:8 

This was another one that I was conflicted with. Look at it. You can't say this passage is for the unbeliever only. Can we turn it around and say the truth is in us, therefore we have no sin? No. The truth is in us, therefore we say we have sinned, and will sin, we are sinners.

Christ died for past, present and future sins. Try to digest that. He didn't just die for your past sins and then you stopped. 

Now, can you answer my previous questions with a simple yes or no?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I think there's a miscommunication going on here. Maybe a difference of definitions.

He can't possibly believe he never sins. How can someone deny they ever lust? Or ever harbors evil thoughts? 24/7?

Obviously, he can't believe that. Only Jesus lived a life without sin. That's a basic fact.

So there must be a difference in how he's defining sin or what it means to sin or what classifies as you having sinned, like perhaps our sins no longer "count" in any way and are therefore not really even sins and basically don't exist. I don't know.

Otherwise, this belief that you don't sin seems rather demonic to me if it's to be taken at face-value. 

10 hours ago, RonaldBruno said:

"If this declaration related to any one act of sin, none of us could ever say that we have seen or known him, but it relates to the habit of sin, — if we love sin, and live in sin, if the main course of our life is sinful, then we have “not seen him, neither known him.” Charles Spurgeon

Long ago, I struggled with these passages, I was conflicted. I prayed about it and God eventually made it clear. It is the practicing of sin, being a slave to it thay we were freed from. But like a computer, we once operated under a flawed program, then God comes along and gives a new program. This program is clean, perfect, without flaws. The problem is we dont readily discard the old program that quickly. Its still on our desktop and we look at it, sometimes even miss certain aspects of it and then we click on it and open it up again thinking we are in control, we can handle it ... see this is harmless, I'm not hurting anyone ... We compromise and make excuses, then that leads to covering up our sin, hiding or lying about it. 

What about this verse, what does it mean to you? 

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."  1 John 1:8 

This was another one that I was conflicted with. Look at it. You can't say this passage is for the unbeliever only. Can we turn it around and say the truth is in us, therefore we have no sin? No. The truth is in us, therefore we say we have sinned, and will sin, we are sinners.

Christ died for past, present and future sins. Try to digest that. He didn't just die for your past sins and then you stopped. 

Now, can you answer my previous questions with a simple yes or no?

I only answer one question at a time. I will answer all of them but one at a time. In the mean time...

You look for a way to please your flesh... to clean it up is what it looks like you're saying.

Romans 3:20
... : for by the law is the knowledge of sin.