Starise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

I figured I would  start a thread for those who make music art instead of paint on canvas. 

If you make music and can post it, why not post it here!

I'll get this started with a link to my SC. Most of the music on it is original with a few reworks of classical composers. My music is mostly Celtic in nature. I have 115 uploads to that site as of this writing. Lately I have felt like I was loosing the ability . I went through some health problems these last 4 years that have tended to make me less creative. I'm trying to regain some of the energy in my music that was there pre cancer and pre COVID. While I am a cancer "survivor". It isn't totally gone from my rear view mirror. I think this sometimes hinders my inner peace. Knowing it could come back and do me in at some point in the future.

If any of you have found strategies for dealing with this latent depression please let me know. I plan to keep making music for as long as I can. I am still making music but have had less time to do it. Can't seem to remain at it for long durations of time. I would once sit all day working on one song. Violin lessons are also demanding on me and take much time ( I've been learning the violin for 5 years now). This is taking time away from my compositions. 

Site- www.soundcloud.com/starise

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

I ran across this thread by chance and I'm glad I did.  I just listened to your newest tracks for the last half hour or so.  Nicely done.  I've been a musician for 40+ years now and appreciate the effort it takes to do this.  Is that your violin playing recorded live in Snow Fall Night?

I'll be putting those on to listen to at various times as the mood strikes me.  Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, I don't have any good recordings of my playing.   My strength as a musician tends to be improvising and flowing with a chord progression.   It's been many years since I played in groups or worship teams.  Now my only recording capability is my computer or phone microphones which make for pretty poor quality recordings.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks GandalfTheWise great to meet you here and for checking it out and for your comments!

I haven't yet found a good way to record my violin even though I have good mics, my space generally isn't right for it. I have a few decent sampled violin libraries I have been using. Some of the things on that site are probably undeveloped as far as full songs go.

Concerning cell phones-I made a recording with a person who only had her cell phone. I think we had amazing results considering. She was just a very talented girl.

I hope I can hear a recording you made sometime. Improvisational ability is a definite plus for any musician!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I played several instruments when I was in university (clarinet, alto/tenor saxophone, oboe, and bassoon), and since then mostly played clarinet and saxophone.  Since most of the music that I listen to now as well as churches has (solely) guitars (if any live instruments at all), I started relearning guitar last year.  I used to play clarinet at churches that I attended, but it seems like rock-style bands are the trend now, and I want to use my musical ability in church.

I occasionally compose music in my mind, but have never had anything close to perfect pitch or even relative pitch, so most of the composing I have done (on paper/computer) consists more of following the "rules" of music theory than actually writing what I am thinking of.  I've been learning to play songs by ear as part of my guitar practice, so I am hoping that eventually I will be able to play what I hear in my mind and improvise.  In the meantime, I started playing in church recently, so I am finally playing as part of an ensemble again.

Edited by keet
  • Thumbs Up 2

Glad to hear it keet, that you are using those gifts for the Lord! Sax/clarinet are tough instruments to learn well. It seems some instruments don't get as much respect as others. I have a penny whistle and I haven't really applied myself to it. It's way more difficult than I originally thought to play. Congrats on learning the guitar! Nothing like an acoustic guitar. Thumbs up!

The rock band thing, yeah I hear you there. The WL at my present church is pursuing a FT music degree at a tough to enter university. Meaning he needs to know his stuff. I think this has influenced the music at this church greatly. He's a classical music buff. We have a sort of worship band but it isn't really "rocked up". Usually it's an acoustic guitar or two and some form of drums or percussion, a few vocalists and a keys player. To my ears it sounds like good music and not some sort of show. 

I was considering posting some threads on it in the tech section about composition software. Maybe I will. It's a fun thing to get into for sure!

Nice to meet you here!

• 1 month later...

One of my recent music only ones.