WayneS

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

We get frustrated by praying for someone and often prayers go unanswered. There are lots of discussions and songs about unanswered prayers but when praying for someone who is not obedient or who is not a believer is praying for them best approach?

I have a daughter who “believes“, but never goes to church and I suspect doesn’t read scripture. She’s now having some medical issues and I wrote her this morning saying she should pray about it and I would pray for her, but then a thought popped in my mind and I wrote up a paragraph on obedience and living a Christian life in order to receive in God’s grace.

Should we as Christians maybe spend more time with others in difficult circumstances getting the gospel to them versus praying for them? Or is too easy and, without the gospel, I suspect not effective.

Would love to get others opinions on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

I do not want to pick a fight, but absolutely totally you do not have to be "good" to receive God's grace. That's the whole point of grace. Mercy is God not giving us what we deserve. Grace is God giving us what we don't deserve.

Joni Eareckson Tada has plenty of medical issues 

Spend time with people and build relationships with them. Be salt and light in their lives. Talk about Jesus when it's appropriate. And pray as though prayer is the only thing that works.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, WayneS said:

We get frustrated by praying for someone and often prayers go unanswered. There are lots of discussions and songs about unanswered prayers but when praying for someone who is not obedient or who is not a believer is praying for them best approach?

I have a daughter who “believes“, but never goes to church and I suspect doesn’t read scripture. She’s now having some medical issues and I wrote her this morning saying she should pray about it and I would pray for her, but then a thought popped in my mind and I wrote up a paragraph on obedience and living a Christian life in order to receive in God’s grace.

Should we as Christians maybe spend more time with others in difficult circumstances getting the gospel to them versus praying for them? Or is too easy and, without the gospel, I suspect not effective.

God answers the prayers of those who follow Him. They might not be answered the way we want them to be answered but He does answer them.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

God answers the prayers of those who follow Him. They might not be answered the way we want them to be answered but He does answer them.

That’s a great way to put it and agree totally.

Here, I want to  be His, therefore I will obey  

Jeremiah 7:23 NLT
[23] This is what I told them: 'Obey me, and I will be your God, and you will be my people. Do everything as I say, and all will be well!'

Commands in the NT are similar to what is in the OT:
Luke 6:38 NLT
[a command from Jesus][38] Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full-pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back."

Note how the NT has close ties into the OT. The NT is not a start over,  but draws from the OT and adds more. 

1 Peter 3:9-12 NLT
[9] Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will grant you his blessing. [10] For the Scriptures say, "If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. [11] Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it. [12] The eyes of the LORD watch over those who do right, and his ears are open to their prayers. But the LORD turns his face against those who do evil."

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

6 hours ago, WayneS said:

You say prayers go unanswered. Sometimes it takes time for the Lord to answer a prayer. Sometimes, we, or the person we are praying for, wouldn't understand the answer, so the Lord needs time to teach us the answer.