IGNORED

Yes, but is the Matrix's Oracle Reloaded?

George

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

The Matrix Reloaded's freedom fighters Neo, Trinity and Morpheus promise a continuing effort to save humanity from extinction, unleashing their arsenal of extraordinary skills and weaponry against the alien masters enslaving mankind within the construct of The Matrix. ...Read More

What are your thoughts on the new Matrix movies?

Your brother in Christ with much agape love,

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shilou

I haven't seen them yet George, but I will. I thought the first was interesting with the world within a world. I always ask people now do you ever wonder if we are living in virtual reality. It's one of the things that excite me about getting beyond this one. While we get all wrapped up in what ever is in front of us there are others watching at all moments, things being recorded, decisions being made. So many people here in America are so worried about their privacy, and I feel like I live in a world full of video camera's. Every thought and action weather done in secret or not is being taken note of. Mind boggling isn't it?

In Yeshua's love

Shilou

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Okay, how much time do you have? How much space can I use up here?

I am CHOMPING AT THE BIT :LOL: :LOL: wainting for reloaded on Thursday.

The original Matrix was an awesome movie. The added Gospel references made it even better for me.

Let's face it, without a great foundation a movie will not stand the test of time. There has to be a good foundational story for a movie to be considered great. You can add all the special effects available in our technology, and the movie would still flop. You need a good storyline.

It is interesting how Sci-Fi movies appeal to different generations. If you look at how Sci-Fi stories have followed history, you would be amazed at the appeal certain storylines had at certain times in our history. For example, before the development of the A-bomb in the 40s there were only a few apocalyptic storylines. Sci-fi writers were writing mostly alien stories. But after the development of the bomb, after the war, and during the cold war, we saw a lot of apocalyptic/ post apoc. stories being written. These were popular because they drove on the fear of a possible reality. As far as motion pictures, there were very few sci-fi stories, and none that touched on post apoc. situations.

Now, flash forward to the 70s to mid 80s. We did not see so many technology stories. There were movies released, such as Bladerunner, for example, that touched on tech., but overall, not really a whole lot. In sci-fi books the tech stories had always been around, but they did not gain a great following in the movie genre until technology in society really exploded in the late 80s onward. Whereas, in the post apoc. stories of the 40s and 50s drove on the fear that humanity would suffer a great nuclear apocalypse, the tech stroies of the 90s, and even today, drive on a kind of combination of machines taking over the world and humans wiping out the world as we know it in a war against the machines.

What makes the Matrix so intriguing is that this is not just a story about humans

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

GM: You mentioned one of my favorite movies of all time...BladeRunner. I have the soundtrack and listen to it even today...

That particular movie affected me because it brought the paradox of human beings creating psuedo-humans using genetics, only limiting their lifespans to a fixed number of years...a buit-in safety factor for the human creators but a problem for the replicants.

I was intrigued by the ending whereby a white dove is released from the hand of a replicant combatant. Symbolism?

I haven't watched the Matryx movies, fearing they were just more flashy Star Wars special effects without a storyline. I may rethink that. Matrix sounds intriguing :unsure: ...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Another point of interest is that the Matrix was taken from a comic book. I don't know which, though, I had only heard this second hand. I was hooked on the X-Men comics (X-Men, Wolverine, X-Factor, etc.) for a while. What really kept my attention was the character development. You could really believe that these characters were real people because they interacted with each other in very real ways. You don't see that in most action films. The characters are generally without any "character," they just blow things up, etc. The Matrix was a lot like the X-Men for me. They seem to be real people, not just set dressing for the stars.

:unsure: That's what I liked about Bladerunner...Decker, the cop and Rachael, the replicant, both seemed like real people ...with real feelings..not cardboard characters in a movie...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

:unsure: I like the first Matrix. I love scifi. I plan to see it next week. :ph34r:

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Article on the BBC which I was thinking of running on Worthy News but praying about whether I should.

Forget sci-fi and guns - The Matrix is really about religion - BBC

By Steven Tomkins

The sequel to The Matrix is being keenly awaited by many of the film's fans - geeks, sci-fi addicts, as well as those who just love stylish violence. But also lining up outside cinemas will be those who see the film as a work about religion. Read more...

Your brother in Christ with much agape love,

George

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

When I first heard of the Matrix, I thought it was just another shoot-'em-up movie, and I had no desire to see it. But then I heard Chuck Coleson on his Breakpoint commentary describing all the "Christian aspects" of the film. I was impressed enough by what he said to go see it.

I was exited about all the Biblical allegories. Of course, I did notice the New Age allegories, too. I also noticed where Neo as Jesus was just wrong. More specifically, there was no relation between him and "the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world." But I saw it as something that could very well be used as a witnessing tool, if the witnessor knew how to use it right. (Imagine showing that to a youth group, having the church youth bringing their non-Christian friends, and then having a guided discussion - comparing the story to the life of Christ.)

I do, however, appreciate the Christian objections to the film. Yes, mixing Christianity with other religions is very dangerous. I have friends who are big on "they're all the same," so I know this.

But I have also learned that it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness, to not cut down the wheat in order to rid the field of the tares.

It's a fine line, and people have to judge their own hearts in this matter. It's similar to the food sacrificed to idols debate that Paul had to address. One man's faith said, "Idols are nothing, so it doesn't matter." Another says, "Those idols are demons, and we should have no part of demons." Paul concluded that the best solution was to consider the witness it gave to others. He also encouraged the people to be discrete about the issue (don't go out of your way to discover if your guest is offering you meat sacrificed to idols, but if they happen to tell you it was so, then for their conscious' sake, politely decline - I'm paraphrasing here.)

So, how do we translate this to movies? It's tough. People may disagree with me, which is fine, but I have come to the conclusion of making the most of the good we have been given in hopes that more good can be drawn out and brought out. If the Holy Spirit speaks to me through a TV show or a movie, should I not milk it for all its worth? ("Hey, God spoke to me through this movie - here's what you can learn too!") Of course, there are some movies with content that is way too objectionable for me to have such grace for. It's not always easy trying to sort out what it means to "Be in the world, but not of the world" (i.e. don't be a cultural hermit, but don't make their sin your sin). Does that make sense?

I wonder if that is one of the elements that made the Matrix so good - although people noticed the action elements the most, it did make you think (something most action films leave by the wayside).

To wrap this up, all I can say is it is going to be interesting to see what they do with the second and third films. Do they continue the Christian themes? Do they even continue the over-all religious theme to the film at all? Does the second movie turn into an action-romance film? Will it be mind-engaging or eye/hormone (affects and adrenoline) engaging? We'll just have to see.

It's a fine line, and people have to judge their own hearts in this matter. It's similar to the food sacrificed to idols debate that Paul had to address. One man's faith said, "Idols are nothing, so it doesn't matter." Another says, "Those idols are demons, and we should have no part of demons." Paul concluded that the best solution was to consider the witness it gave to others. He also encouraged the people to be discrete about the issue (don't go out of your way to discover if your guest is offering you meat sacrificed to idols, but if they happen to tell you it was so, then for their conscious' sake, politely decline - I'm paraphrasing here.)

Wow, thanks for that Neb...I know I've read this verse but it was never revealed to me the way you just did...that's something to think about.

It's all about one's own conscience and using discretion. Great point and well taken! Thx...