Stuart DiNenno

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Question for the group: How should one go about finding a church to join, if he doesn't already belong to one?

Stuart DiNenno

Edited by Stuart DiNenno

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Pray that He leads you to the church He wants you to go to.

Then check out websites of different churches for their statement of faith. Prepare some questions to ask the pastor. Attend the church and see if you like it.

That is all I can think of offhand.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

It is nice to do some research on the church before you attend. Look for churches in your area. If you go inside and ask, they'll very likely give you a mission statement, an overview of their beliefs, and the like. Many churches have these things in a handy pamphlet that you can take with you. Ask around, too...if you have friends who know the area, ask them where they go, what the atmosphere and doctrines are like.

You'll probably want to attend a few services at different places before you make your decision (unless you manage to find one and you just know that this is where you should be...sometimes that happens)...pay attention to the message, and be ready to check through your Bible for evidence that what the pastor is teaching is true. Look for balance, friendliness among the people, and listen to the Holy Spirit's nudging; if you're getting a bad feeling about a place, it's probably for a good reason.

Always pray about your decision...I guess that goes without saying though, since we should be doing that in all situations :noidea:

I wouldn't jump into church membership right away, either. Stick around for a while, get involved in a small group or other sort of fellowship/ministry there...make sure you're in the right place.

Remember that no church or denomination is perfect, but if there are some major doctrine issues (for example, they believe that Jesus is not the Son of God or the only way to salvation), RUN!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/10/1978

It is nice to do some research on the church before you attend. Look for churches in your area. If you go inside and ask, they'll very likely give you a mission statement, an overview of their beliefs, and the like. Many churches have these things in a handy pamphlet that you can take with you. Ask around, too...if you have friends who know the area, ask them where they go, what the atmosphere and doctrines are like.

You'll probably want to attend a few services at different places before you make your decision (unless you manage to find one and you just know that this is where you should be...sometimes that happens)...pay attention to the message, and be ready to check through your Bible for evidence that what the pastor is teaching is true. Look for balance, friendliness among the people, and listen to the Holy Spirit's nudging; if you're getting a bad feeling about a place, it's probably for a good reason.

Always pray about your decision...I guess that goes without saying though, since we should be doing that in all situations  :noidea:

I wouldn't jump into church membership right away, either. Stick around for a while, get involved in a small group or other sort of fellowship/ministry there...make sure you're in the right place.

Remember that no church or denomination is perfect, but if there are some major doctrine issues (for example, they believe that Jesus is not the Son of God or the only way to salvation), RUN!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree :noidea:

And what if, after spending time among numerous groups which all profess to be Christian churches, he finds himself believing that none of them are theologically accurate on all points of doctrine, he believes that their church meetings are conducted in an unbiblical way, he believes that the churches are not governed according to the teaching of the Bible, and he believes that the majority of the members of the churches are quite worldly-minded and their religion is superficial. What should he do then?

Stuart DiNenno

Edited by Stuart DiNenno

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

I would research them, go to some and find one that you feel some what if not fully comfortable with!

I would research them, go to some and find one that you feel some what if not fully comfortable with!

But what if, for all the reasons mentioned in my previous post, he doesn't feel comfortable in any of the numerous churches he has visited and so he decides to stay away from them all. Is he doing anything wrong if he decides to stay home on the Lord's Day, study the Bible, read doctrinal writings, and live out his faith in his daily life as best as he can?

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

I do it. Why do we have to go to a building and study God's word?

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

And what if, after spending time among numerous groups which all profess to be Christian churches, he finds himself believing that none of them are theologically accurate on all points of doctrine, he believes that their church meetings are conducted in an unbiblical way, he believes that the churches are not governed according to the teaching of the Bible, and he believes that the majority of the members of the churches are quite worldly-minded and their religion is superficial. What should he do then?

Stuart DiNenno

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said (I did say it, right?) NO church or denomination is perfect. The thing is, though, it doesn't have to be perfect, people just need to have their hearts in the right place. On that note, you will ALWAYS find SOMEONE in ANY church who has a bad attitude and whatnot, but you know what? You can pray for them, and you can go about your daily life in the church unhindered in your worship because of their problems. Just make sure that the church has the things that are indispensible; the core values, the belief in the Father, Son, the Holy Spirit....things like that. I think you know what I mean.

I believe that we NEED fellowship with other believers. I also believe that this is a scriptural view, as it says in Hebrews 10:25

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another

Stuart DiNenno

As I said (I did say it, right?) NO church or denomination is perfect. The thing is, though, it doesn't have to be perfect, people just need to have their hearts in the right place. On that note, you will ALWAYS find SOMEONE in ANY church who has a bad attitude and whatnot, but you know what? You can pray for them, and you can go about your daily life in the church unhindered in your worship because of their problems. Just make sure that the church has the things that are indispensible; the core values, the belief in the Father, Son, the Holy Spirit....things like that. I think you know what I mean.

I believe that we NEED fellowship with other believers. I also believe that this is a scriptural view, as it says in Hebrews 10:25

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another

Edited by Stuart DiNenno