• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/09/1960

This year, I didn't plant anything in my garden area, I try to give it a rest every 7 years. So the only things growing there are what I call VOLUNTEERS. This plant is HUGE, I'll have to take another picture of how big it is...but it's probably at least 20 feet! and there are at least 20 of these fruits on it. Some are shipped like pumpkins, like this one and others are shaped like butternut squash....but they are all this color. I didn't even plant any squash or pumpkin in the garden at all last year, so am not sure how this got here.:) It's a beauty! I sure hope it tastes as good as it looks!

IMG_2578.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  586
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  0

Appears to be a hybrid of several squash.

Many odd things are happening.  I live in the high desert and on my second week of 25 degree cooler days than average for Summer/August plus we've been getting rainy nights.    It's like a completely new weather pattern just settled in.   I am not complaining and Praising God.   But it does strike me odd and should i be looking at this from a Biblical perspective.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

16 minutes ago, AandW_Rootbeer said:

Many odd things are happening.  I live in the high desert and on my second week of 25 degree cooler days than average for Summer/August plus we've been getting rainy nights.    It's like a completely new weather pattern just settled in.   I am not complaining and Praising God.   But it does strike me odd and should i be looking at this from a Biblical perspective.

Yes, many "odd things" are happening...NATURE is confused, too!  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,304
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

3 hours ago, Tammy Roesch said:

This year, I didn't plant anything in my garden area, I try to give it a rest every 7 years. So the only things growing there are what I call VOLUNTEERS. This plant is HUGE, I'll have to take another picture of how big it is...but it's probably at least 20 feet! and there are at least 20 of these fruits on it. Some are shipped like pumpkins, like this one and others are shaped like butternut squash....but they are all this color. I didn't even plant any squash or pumpkin in the garden at all last year, so am not sure how this got here.:) It's a beauty! I sure hope it tastes as good as it looks!

Like some people, some soil take years before the "seed" is fruitful.
Years back we grew watermelons, Black Diamonds, which sold for a penny a pound.
We moved crops around and seems we always had a volunteer crop show up late season.
Even several years later, without planting, melons that were mostly smaller and sweeter graced our field.
Unplanted Seed from unpicked fruit still germinates without man's interference.
God's word will not return void.....
default_cool2.gif.e1463326eb4217ce7c30ae023b730de4.gif

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

11 minutes ago, Sower said:

We moved crops around and seems we always had a volunteer crop show up late season.
Even several years later, without planting, melons that were mostly smaller and sweeter graced our field.

So true!  Thank you, Sower :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,554
  • Content Per Day:  2.68

I like my garden to be neat and organized, and learned a little something with last years garden. We likes us fried zucchini and zucchini bread, we likes us yellow squash for a side vegetable for dinner and soups. Being a long time ex-military man and 1SG, my garden is "dress right, dress." 

Anyhoot, I planted my zucchini and yellow squash together, side by side in the same row. Planted them in the front leaning rest position, they grew to the position of attention, and bear arms. Something strange happened, most all of them were like zebra's, only dark green, with yellow stripes. The only thing I know about "yellow stripes", is in the middle of the road; where you find the dead skunks and politicians. 

Come to find out, planting them too close together leads to cross pollination and a hybrid of the original. Comparable to an uncorrupted politician's first day on the job, then 60 days later when it corrupts and matures. Hey, did I just find an association between zucchini, yellow squash, the yellow lines of a road and politicians? Naah... :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sower said:

We have that with sun flowers.   40 years ago these fields before being split into farms were sun flowers.   I've planted several grasses for haying trying to find the one that survives my climate.   In between plantings random sun flowers keep popping up.   Wheat, alfalfa, grasses, corn, beans, squash, lettuce have all been planted throughout the years here, but in between planting, a swarth of sun flowers erupt all over like they were meant to.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Content Per Day:  7.14
  • Days Won:  100

8 hours ago, AandW_Rootbeer said:

I lived in the high desert for several years so I understand where you're coming from. I haven't been back there for some time but I've been watching the weather. I recall eastern birds invading during my last year in the mountains; Northern Mockingbirds were starting to appear. Strange. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Content Per Day:  7.14
  • Days Won:  100

9 hours ago, Tammy Roesch said:

IMG_2578.jpg

Let us know how it turns out!

That's what my adopted mother called plants such as there: volunteers. We had volunteer beans, volunteer mint, and volunteer mullein. The mint exploded all over the place so we always had some on hand to dry and use for tea.

I didn't know squat about growing things until I stayed by her side. Everything she touched seemed to be blessed, and her secret was the soil. Our goal: grow and produce our own food. I learned a great deal working with her in the greenhouse and the gardens. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Marathoner said:

I lived in the high desert for several years so I understand where you're coming from. I haven't been back there for some time but I've been watching the weather. I recall eastern birds invading during my last year in the mountains; Northern Mockingbirds were starting to appear. Strange. 

I am newer to this area than most in these parts.   But they tell me whenever I see them they saw this or that and this area was not its natural habitat.   I gain a lot of knowledge from those who are from here.   But this is what I have noticed, rain, and cooler temperatures that are 25 degree below on average for this time of year.   It's normally high 90's and low 100's for a month or two and it's been cool enough to turn off the swamp cooler at night.   Believe it or not, that is a big deal turning off the swamp cooler in August :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 2