Guest opusdei

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  197
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Mark 6:3 - Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Actually Fiosh, when I opend my greek concordiance, this is what I get.

"brother"

adelphos

brother(lit. or fig.)

denotes a brother or near kinsman

(1) male children of the same parents.

(2) male descendants of the same parents.

(3) male children of the same mother "Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, Joses, Simon, and Judas?"

Other definitions list people of the same nationality, etc.

However as with any word, look at the context.

Mark 6:3 - Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Is not this the carpenter,

First, they identify Jesus by his trade, and really that of his earthly father Joseph.

the son of Mary

Then they identify his mother. So we are talking about a biological family unit.

the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon?

Now they identify his brothers

and are not his sisters here with us?

and his sisters.

Now if you think these are references to "countrymen", etc. Then this statement would be meaningless, because EVERYONE present at this event was Jesus' countrymen. Imagine if I came up to someone in front of Pennsylvania avenue and said, "Hey, the Americans are here to see you," and they were already talking to a large crowd of Americans.I'd look pretty stupid, as nearly everyone in sight would be an American.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why so blind-----Because neither Hebrew nor Aramaic (the language spoken by Christ and his disciples) had a special word meaning "cousin," speakers of those languages could use either the word for "brother" or a circumlocution, such as "the son of my uncle." But circumlocutions are clumsy, so the Jews often used "brother."

The writers of the New Testament were brought up using the Aramaic equivalent of "brothers" to mean both cousins and sons of the same father

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Another time, they sought to restrain him for his own benefit: "And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for people were saying,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Another time, they sought to restrain him for his own benefit: "And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for people were saying,