IGNORED

Why waste the energy?

Guest opusdei

Guest stray bullet
Some of the problems I have with Catholicism....

1) Division of sin into venal and mortal sins....absolutely no biblical basis for it. Encourages the idea that some sin is 'less evil' than other sin.

Actually, there is a biblical basis. Recall Corinthians 6:9-10. Some sins people can not commit in this way and go to Heaven.

2)The ability of priests to forgive sin. No one can forgive sin except for God

This is also supported by the bible- Christ gave his apostles the ability to forgive sins.

Furthermore, priests don't forgive sins by their own merits, but only by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. When one confesses to a priest, they are confessing to Christ.

If all you needed to do was ask God for forgiveness, then Jesus would have told us this. Not only do we not see this in the bible, but we see people coming to Jesus and confessing them for the forgiveness of their sins.

3)Liturgical services with all kinds with all sorts of rituals. First you kneel, then you stand, then you sit , then stand, then kneel, etc.... Some people may find it uplifting but I find it kinda silly.

If you find respect to Jesus Christ silly... well, I just don't know how I can tell you how important it is to me then.

4)The Inquistition....It most certainly did result in the deaths of thousands,

The Inquisition was actually a positive thing. The only parts were know about usually are the gross abuses of it by local governments.

5)Purgotory...the waiting room for Heaven. Again, no basis in Scripture.

Yes, it is.

6)The vast heirarchcal structure of the Church. I'm an anti-authoritarian kinda guy anyhow.

The Church in Acts has a heirarchy. Anything without a head is dead.

7)Lent and 'meatless" Friday....A tradition that tends to all form and no substance.

Fasting and penance are in the bible.

Edited by stray bullet

Guest stray bullet
and just FYI

The modern messianic movement began with a Bulgarian rabbi who visited Israel in the late 1800s. He had absolutely ZERO ties to Catholics or Protestants when he began the first messianic jewish synagoge since the 13th Century.

Which books of the bible did he use then? Where did he get those books from the bible?

I am part of that restoration and we are neither Catholic nor Protestant. Never have been...since the Catholic Church split from the ORIGINAL church.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Catholic Church has not split from any church.

``Where the Bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be;

even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church'' Ignatius of Antioch, 1st c. A.D

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  722
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

The Catholic Church contradicts itself all the time.

and just FYI

The modern messianic movement began with a Bulgarian rabbi who visited Israel in the late 1800s. He had absolutely ZERO ties to Catholics or Protestants when he began the first messianic jewish synagoge since the 13th Century.

Which books of the bible did he use then? Where did he get those books from the bible?

I am part of that restoration and we are neither Catholic nor Protestant. Never have been...since the Catholic Church split from the ORIGINAL church.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Catholic Church has not split from any church.

``Where the Bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be;

even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church'' Ignatius of Antioch, 1st c. A.D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good to see that the Catholic Church has sent a new Jesuit to participate on this board. Good job guys! Keep up the good work...Satan would be proud.

Don't think I'm ignorant of your devices...stray bullet. I know who you are.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  197
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Are you saying that mary can hear you if you spoke to her right now?

An evil generation seeketh after a sign.

"And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast. And they worshipped the DRAGON WHICH GAVE POWER unto the beast."-Revelation 13:3,4

Experiential events...

OR

Biblical faith...

We must all choose.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  342
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

If you cant back it up with scripture, then your coming to your own conclusions. That is dangerous. The Word of God is all truth and the ONLY truth, so we are very rightfully asking you to show us where your faith is coming from. Doesnt seem to be the bible which is:

Romans 10:17 'So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

still havent answered me. Scripture please.... if you can show me where it says pray to or through Mary, ill go to a catholic church and repent immediately...haha plus scripture for confessional booths.... and for rosary beads...and for....ok maybe we should just start with Mary. Awaiting scripture....

Bluebird

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Dont we both believe in the same Savior/Creator?

Yes.

And there certainly have been some Catholics greatly used by God to further God's kingdom, like Mother Teresa.

And God bless Mel! :emot-hug:

I have a good friend who is Catholic. We've been friends for at least 10 years and don't talk about what divides us, only what unites us - and that is Christ. We can easily talk about many things on spiritual levels and never have to get into any debate.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

2)The ability of priests to forgive sin. No one can forgive sin except for God

This is also supported by the bible- Christ gave his apostles the ability to forgive sins.

Really? Where?

more, priests don't forgive sins by their own merits, but only by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. When one confesses to a priest, they are confessing to Christ.

To put men on the same level of Christ? God forbid!

If all you needed to do was ask God for forgiveness, then Jesus would have told us this. Not only do we not see this in the bible, but we see people coming to Jesus and confessing them for the forgiveness of their sins.

Christ was not a man, He is God. The men who "forgive" sins are just men, and there is no biblical basis that says they can forgive sins.

I corinthians 1:13

was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

4)The Inquistition....It most certainly did result in the deaths of thousands,

The Inquisition was actually a positive thing. The only parts were know about usually are the gross abuses of it by local governments.

"Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good, but God alone. You know the commandments; Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother."

not to mention the whole 6th commandment thou shalt not kill.

5)Purgotory...the waiting room for Heaven. Again, no basis in Scripture.

Yes, it is.

Really? Where?

6)The vast heirarchcal structure of the Church. I'm an anti-authoritarian kinda guy anyhow.

The Church in Acts has a heirarchy. Anything without a head is dead.

Funny you should mention the whole body analogy; Christ is the head of the church. Not men, not the popes, but Christ:

For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. - EPHESIANS 5:23

7)Lent and 'meatless" Friday....A tradition that tends to all form and no substance.

Fasting and penance are in the bible.

Not a single mention of Lent. Who made it up then, er, perhaps men?

Edited by Sgtazur