SPEECH

BY JAVIER SOLANA

EU HIGH REPRESENTATIVE

FOR THE COMMON FOREIGN AND SECURITY POLICY

Protecting People and Infrastructure:

Achievements, Failures and future tasks

East West-Institute: Second Annual Worldwide Security Conference

Brussels, 7 February 2005

When Harold Macmillan was asked one day what caused the greatest difficulties in his period as UK Prime Minister, he replied "Events, dear boy, events." This decades-old story has relevance for our discussions today. For one risk in preparing speeches

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,986
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  2

EU set to lift China arms embargo despite US concerns

10.02.2005 - 09:49 CET | By Honor Mahony

EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS - The European Union on Wednesday (9 February) indicated that it would go ahead and lift its arms embargo on China despite repeatedly expressed concerns by the US.

"The European Union is moving to lift the arms embargo. The European Union cannot be accused of rushing into this", said European Commission President Jos

Around 480 US nuclear arms in Europe, says report

10.02.2005 - 09:57 CET | By Lisbeth Kirk

The United States still has around 480 nuclear weapons in Europe, according to a study by the US-based privately-financed arms control group, the Natural Resources Defence Council, (NRDC).

The weapons are under US control and stored at eight bases in six countries - the UK, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy and Turkey.

"The fact that the United States has some 480 nuclear weapons still stationed in Europe will come as a surprise to a lot of Europeans", said Hans M. Kristensen, the author of the report.

Germany tops the list hosting some 150 US nuclear weapons at two locations: Ramstein and B

Charming Mr. Huggy

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice may have gone to Europe to charm back America's straying allies, but when the EU's Javier Solana kissed her hand, I wonder if Rice was the one who got charmed? (Read about it here)>>>> http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=488517

As I've reported before, Solana is also known as Mr. Huggy. He likes to hug people -- and, evidently, kiss hands. It's said, when he enters a building, the first thing Solana does is locate all his friends and acquaintances to say hello. Yet, you wouldn't expect anything less from Europe's first Kissinger class diplomat.

You see, Henry Kissinger was, and is, a charmer too. I had the priviledge to meet Kissinger at a conference where he was speaking. The press was provided a special media tent where, if we were lucky, the speakers would pay us a visit. The interesting thing about Kissinger was, unlike all the other speakers who stood above us on a platform and spoke from behind a podium, Kissinger stood beside the podium. In fact, he leaned against it. The simple gesture put everyone in the tent at complete ease.

Then the final stroke came. After Kissinger's little speech, he stepped down from the platform and began walking among us, just like one of the guys. He even let me have my picture taken with him. You couldn't help but like the man.

Like I said, Solana appears to have the Kissinger touch. And, I believe the world is beginning to feel the power of his charm. It's being reported Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has fired up to nine of his security officers and is preparing to confront the militant leaders who were responsible for Thursday's mortar and rocket attack against Israel (Read about it here)>>>> http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...bbas050211.html

As I've been reporting, I think what got the peace process moving again is Solana's European Neighborhood Policy. Everybody wants a piece of the EU pie.

I even suspect the terrorist group Hamas may be falling victim to Solana's charm. Although, officially, Hamas said it has agreed to no cease fire -- and may have sent this latest barrage to punctuate the point -- I still suspect some kind of deal may have been struck with some, if not all, of the Hamas leaders. My reason for thinking this is, besides hearing about secret talks between Solana and Hamas, without some kind of green light from inside Hamas, the summit in Egypt would never have taken place. Hamas just has too much political influence in the region. If you recall, Hamas won more votes in the recent Palestinian election than did the Palestinian Authority.

Of course, I could be wrong. Abbas' plea for calm could be answered with an even bigger attack. Israel's military could be forced to respond and the window of opportunity would be slammed closed. If that happened, the Palestinian people would feel more hopeless than they did before. I don't even want to think about what could happen next.

Yet, no matter which way these talks between Abbas and Hamas go, we know where this all will end. According to the Bible, there will come a time of peace for Israel and the Palestinian people. Unfortunately, it will be a false, short-lived peace. But, peace will finally come.

And, if I've been right, it'll be by that charming Mr. Huggy.

02-11-05

http://fulfilledprophecy.com/charming_mr_huggy.html

Solana's State Police

Recently I reported that, following the successful Iraqi elections, the EU's Javier Solana jumped in and offered the EU's assistance in training the Iraqi police and security forces. I wrote:

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to live in a city that had a police force trained by Solana's people. If you recall, his EU forces are, as I write, occupying Macedonia and Bosnia/Herzegovina on so-called "police missions." And, when they leave, you can bet your boots the web will have been spun.

Well, that appears to be exactly what is happening. When the EU's police mission in Bosnia/Herzegovina draws to a close, left behind is going to be a new EU style state police force. Solana is reported to have said:

As the Mission enters the last year of the mandate, it is well placed, in partnership with the local authorities, to complete its prime directive, which is to leave in place sustainable and effective policing arrangements in BiH [bosnia/Herzegovina] (Read about it here)>>>> http://fulfilledprophecy.com/solana_report_2-11-05.html

Keep in mind, Solana's people are also training a Macedonian state police force and soon they will be training an Iraqi state police force. They've even begun training the UN's crime fighting agencies.

What does that imply, a coming global state police?

Where's Barney Fife when we need him?

02-12-05

http://fulfilledprophecy.com/solana's_state_police.html

Their Grand Design

When the Office of High Representative was established at the EU's Vienna Summit back in December, 1998, four foreign policy priorities were listed -- Russia, Ukraine, Balkans and the Mediterranean. In other words, whoever held this Office would be authorized to represent the EU member states in these four areas of concern.

And, as I've pointed out before, out of over eleven hundred documents that were generated at Vienna, the document establishing the Office of High Representative was numbered 666.

While the EU heads were meeting in Vienna, the man who was destined to occupy this new EU Office, Javier Solana, was finishing his term as head of NATO. And, looking back, it would appear that Solana was already pursuing the Vienna agenda. He was busy restructuring NATO so Europe could have their own independent security identity. Solana accomplished this by splitting NATO down the middle and creating two separate Strategic Commands, one in Virginia for the US and one in Brussels for Europe.

Not only was Solana already restructuring NATO as per Europe's agenda, he was advancing the EU's foreign policy priority in the Balkans. He had successfully waged a bombing campaign against Serbia that led to NATO peacekeeping forces on the ground. Later, NATO would turn over the peacekeeping mission to EU forces.

As you can see, a pattern is emerging. It appears certain leaders in Europe may wish to use NATO assets to pursue their own imperial agenda. Starting in the Balkans, these EU leaders are pursuing a policy of using NATO forces to conquer and EU forces to occupy.

Now that the Balkans are under their control, these same EU leaders are turning to their Mediterranean agenda. According to this report, if asked, NATO's new head, Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, is prepared to send NATO forces to help enforce the recent Israeli/Palestinian cease fire agreement (Read about it here)>>>> http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a..._nato_mideast_1

But, upon closer examination, we find there's a little more to this story. It appears Germany is also calling for a complete over-haul of NATO. Not being satisfied with using NATO to achieve their regional agenda, Germany wants to now use NATO to address the EU's global agenda as well -- their so-called "grand design." (Read about it here)>>>> http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L13711893.htm

What is their grand design? If you recall, Solana's new security doctrine for the EU not only calls for establishing peace and stability in their surrounding neighborhood, it calls for the establishment of a new international order. That, my friend, is Germany's grand design.

According to this report, the current Bush Administration isn't going along with the idea (Read about it here)>>>> http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-rummy13.html

However, as far as Bible prophecy is concerned, end-time events are moving at an ever-increasing speed. And, prophecy suggests Germany's grand design may not be far away.

The annual NATO summit at Munich is less than two weeks away. Last year, the EU heads got exactly what they wanted -- an OK from the Bush Administration for their own, independent military command structure. So, it's possible they will again.

Stay tuned!

02-13-05

http://fulfilledprophecy.com/their_grand_design.html

Squaring Circles

It's been said that the EU's Javier Solana is a squarer of circles. Well, it appears that's what he's doing in this report -- he's squaring circles (Read about it here)>>>> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../i164728S79.DTL

Here's what I mean:

Regarding the differences of opinion created between the EU and US over the Iraqi war, Solana said:

We are overcoming a period ... linked to Iraq that has had some tension between the Europeans and Americans. This is over. What we have to do is look to the future.

Concerning German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder's unexpected call for an overhaul of NATO, Solana said:

I don't think anybody should be worried about that. This is an initiative that goes in the direction of making more effective the trans-Atlantic relationship.

About US' concerns over the EU lifting its arms embargo against China, Solana said:

The question of the arms embargo should be considered as a political decision, not a military decision.

Then Solana went on to assure that the EU's code of conduct would limit the arms sales even if the embargo was dropped.

Finally, Solana encouraged the US to back the EU's diplomatic efforts to talk Iran into dropping its nuclear weapons program Why? Because, according to Solana -- and thanks to Solana -- the EU has diplomatic relations with Iran and the US doesn't.

All this before NATO's annual summit in Munich on the 22nd of this month. As you may know, President George W. Bush is going to be there -- along with everybody who is anybody in allied circles. And, if all goes well, Solana's agenda should fit right in.

He's a squarer of circles.

02-15-05

http://fulfilledprophecy.com/squaring_circles.html

EU prepares carefully managed summit with US

17.02.2005 - 18:17 CET | By Honor Mahony

EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS - US President George W. Bush's visit to Brussels next Tuesday and Wednesday is set to be a carefully staged affair with certain member states allowed to speak on certain topics.

In order to prevent President Bush from having to endure 25 EU leaders opining on any given topic; ten lead countries have been chosen for the big issues.

Luxembourg Prime Minister and current head of the EU, Jean-Claude Juncker, will open the meeting, this will be followed by a speech by the US President.

The chosen ten

After that topics are divided up. Amongst others, France is to speak about the role of the EU in the world; the UK on the Middle East; Slovakia on Iraq; Germany on Iran; Spain on the Barcelona process (Mediterranean relations); Austria on the Balkans, the Netherlands on terrorism and Ireland on Russia, according to sources.

"We have made it very clear to our colleagues in the European Council that we would like to proceed by lead speeches. It is totally excluded that everyone will touch upon each matter", said Mr Juncker on Thursday (17 February).

Fifteen member states have not been chosen to give special speeches, according to sources, which is likely to cause some friction among the 25 where issues of large and small member states, geographical divides and old and new member states are sensitive topics.

Lithuania, which is not among the chosen ten, still plans to raise the EU's neighbourhood policy. "It is not that we cannot speak", said a Lithuanian diplomat.

"I can see this unravelling horribly as others ask why they are not among the ten" said an EU diplomat from one of the chosen countries.

Another diplomat said the meeting will require "very careful handling ... to make it lively and worthwhile".

But aside from the talking arrangements, the meeting itself is likely not to unravel as really difficult issues such as the prisoners held in Guantanmo Bay; climate change; or the EU's planned lifting of the arms embargo on China are not on the official agenda - but may be dealt with over dinner in the evening.

A high-level EU diplomat was keen to stress that the meeting "is more of a political meeting" and is not "traditional".

Good exposure time

The official agenda of the meeting between President Bush and the 25 EU leaders - which is only 90 minutes long - will touch on the Middle-East, Iraq, Iran, the Balkans, Russia, the fight against terrorism and development issues.

Issues where transatlantic approaches are not too diverse such as the Middle East, the Balkans and Urkaine are likely to be emphasized.

An EU diplomat denied that it was too short a time to get anything achieved emphasizing that the US President will be in Brussels for three evenings.

The diplomat added that the 90 minutes planned "is a lot of exposure - much more than we normally get".

Mr Bush will also visit the European Commission and have dinner with foreign policy chief Javier Solana and Commission President Jos

EU needs to strengthen ties with Russia to protect energy imports

18.02.2005 - 09:56 CET | By Meghan Sapp

EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS - Energy security for the EU depends on mutual advantage between the EU and Russia.

With Russia holding nearly all the cards when it comes to the EU's dependence on oil and gas, the EU needs to help Russia get membership to the World Trade Organization.

That was the message Lord Browne of Madingley, Group Chief Executive of British Petroleum plc gave to the European Policy Center Thursday (17 February).

"WTO accession would help to develop the rule of law, improve to the country international standards, create transparency and develop good governance", Lord Brown said.

The newest round of talks on Russia's accession to the WTO was launched Wednesday in Geneva where the accession working group will consider proposals and comments from the WTO Secretariat.

Russia's news agency Prime-Tass reported Tuesday that EU Trade Commissioner Peter Mandelson expects Moscow's accession negotations to be completed by the end of the year with membership from 2006.

According to Lord Browne, BP is one of the largest foreign investors in Russia, accounting for one-quarter of the EU's total investments in Russia of roughly 16 billion euro.

As Russia's largest trading partner, most of the EU's oil imports originate from there.

According to Eurostat, the EU-25 imported more than one million tonnes of oil and gas from Russia during 2003, worth more than 54 million euro.

The dependency of the EU's largest member state, Germany, on Russian oil has led to criticism.

German parliamentarians accusing Chancellor Gerhard Schr

Also At Brussels

I don't like Brussels. That's because Brussels is in Belgium. And, I don't like Belgium. Why? Because, I'm descended from a person who was burned at the stake in Belgium during the Inquisition. In fact, my family barely survived the state-sponsored horror.

This brings us to the International Criminal Court. It's in Belgium. Need I say more?

President George W. Bush will be meeting with NATO heads at Brussels on Monday. After the summit, he will be having dinner with the European Union's Javier Solana. Pray for President Bush. The decisions he makes at that dinner table may have far-reaching consequences for God's people -- for us.

Also at Brussels, a conference was held by the GS1 Forum, an organization responsible for developing global standards for things like barcodes, RFID and electronic product coding. In other words, these people are creating standards for a system of global trade and commerce (Read about it here)>>>> http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.n...ryid=single4459

And, wouldn't you know it. They're doing it at ... at ... you know where.

Back to that dinner table. Both men attending, George Bush and Javier Solana, will have something the other man wants. Bush has the world's last, hard superpower at his disposal. Solana has the world's first, soft superpower at his disposal. American has the ability to project hard military force anywhere in the world. The EU has soft economic and crises management capabilities that can fill the vacuum left by American military action. Friends, it's not hard to see a deal in the making.

But, there will be more going on at that table -- something many may not see. I've been in sales work now for over 30 years. In the course of those years, I've not only had many classes on sales tactics (never liked them), I've had much experience in the trade. One of the principles I've learned is that the first sale to an individual is always the hardest. However, after that first sale has been made, the rest come easy.

In Javier Solana's coming pitch to George Bush, the first sale has already been made. You see, this dinner will be the first official visit from a US President to the EU. In the past, the Presidential visits were always with heads of the EU member states (Read about it here)>>>> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/poli...sheurope20.html

In other words, for the first time, a US President will be sitting down with an EU official as an equal.

This meeting will also be at Brussels.

That's Belgium.

02-20-05

http://fulfilledprophecy.com/also_at_brussels.html