• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus was called Emmanuel because He was God with us

Thats just it, he wasn't called Immanuel by anyone. He was supposed to be, but was named jesus instead. The Prophesy is repeated in the New Testament, but he was still named Jesus. Again it's 2 different meanings and 2 different names.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So how many people do you know who call you Skeptic?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats irrelevant. It wasn't prophesied that I would be called Skeptic when I was born.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I was just wondering why it was prophesied that a savior would be born and named Immanuel, but decided a kid named jesus was this savior instead??

Jesus was never called Immanuel by anyone including his parents in the NT.

I asked my mother this question and her reply was he had many names.

Yes God had many names because the Bible was translated in many different languages BUT jesus had only 1 name and it wasn't the prophesied one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Skeptic,

I think it is great that you take enough interest in the Bible to ask questions. Some people wouldn't even know to ask this question.

Do you have a Bible Concordance? If you look up "name", it can be used to indicate an actual name or a title.

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I'm guessing it may lie in there somewhere.

Keep asking questions and seeking answers. Don't give up.

But most important, ask for the Holy Spirit to guide you....He will.

:b:

May God bless your search for truth, skeptic.

Fiosh

:21:

PS. May I ask how old you are?

I was just wondering why it was prophesied that a savior would be born and named Immanuel, but decided a kid named jesus was this savior instead??

Jesus was never called Immanuel by anyone including his parents in the NT.

I asked my mother this question and her reply was he had many names.

Yes God had many names because the Bible was translated in many different languages BUT jesus had only 1 name and it wasn't the prophesied one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Skeptic,

I think it is great that you take enough interest in the Bible to ask questions. Some people wouldn't even know to ask this question.

Do you have a Bible Concordance? If you look up "name", it can be used to indicate an actual name or a title.

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I'm guessing it may lie in there somewhere.

Keep asking questions and seeking answers. Don't give up.

But most important, ask for the Holy Spirit to guide you....He will.

:b:

May God bless your search for truth, skeptic.

Fiosh

:21:

PS. May I ask how old you are?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you. I will look that up. I do have a lot of questions and thats all it is. I am not here by any means to try to get anyone to believe differently. I am 34 years old. I live in ohio now but grew up in Ft Worth Texas. I attended Truth Church (does not exist anymore) pastored by Mark Hamby. That guy was a great speaker. If things had not gone the way they did with that church I would probably still be there today. I don't know if anyone here watches TBN, there is a guy named Gary Oliver who is on there sometimes. He was the music leader of that church. Anyway I spend a lot of my free time now studying religions. In fact I just got done reading the Bible again.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  03/31/1968

Thank you. I will look that up. I do have a lot of questions and thats all it is. I am not here by any means to try to get anyone to believe differently. I am 34 years old. I live in ohio now but grew up in Ft Worth Texas. I attended Truth Church (does not exist anymore) pastored by Mark Hamby. That guy was a great speaker. If things had not gone the way they did with that church I would probably still be there today. I don't know if anyone here watches TBN, there is a guy named Gary Oliver who is on there sometimes. He was the music leader of that church. Anyway I spend a lot of my free time now studying religions. In fact I just got done reading the Bible again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's great that you ask questions...It means you're listening.

As you can see by reading The Bible, not all scripture is meant to be taken literally...

"He shall be called Immanuel" meaning God with us doesn't actually mean that this will be His given name It means that's what He will be called.

Much the same way you might be called "skeptical." Unto your parents a child was born and he will be called skeptical... Meaning people will call you that because that's what you will be. (Hopefully not for long! :o )

:)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As you can see by reading The Bible, not all scripture is meant to be taken literally...

"He shall be called Immanuel" meaning God with us doesn't actually mean that this will be His given name It means that's what He will be called.

Much the same way you might be called "skeptical." Unto your parents a child was born and he will be called skeptical... Meaning people will call you that because that's what you will be. (Hopefully not for long! :) )

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I was trying to say :o Am I typing in Swahili or something? :o

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  03/31/1968

Thank you. I will look that up. I do have a lot of questions and thats all it is.... In fact I just got done reading the Bible again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Much the same way you might be called "skeptical." Unto your parents a child was born and he will be called skeptical... Meaning people will call you that because that's what you will be. (Hopefully not for long! :) )

:o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I was trying to say :o Am I typing in Swahili or something? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahahahahaha...No I don't think so... Guess I just have the gift of BLAB...;)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

There is a verse in the OT I would like you to take a look at:

For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 NASB

This passage is a prophecy regarding the coming Messiah as well. It seems that in the Bible a name has a deeper connotation than we give it in the west. It speaks of the person's character. Notice many names will be applied to the messiah.

When we read the text in Matthew, we would hope that Matthew would have been smart enough to see an apparent contradicition in what he wrote:

In Matthew 1:25 immediately following your quote it says Joseph named Him Jesus. So If Matthew appeals to the passage in Isaiah and sees no apparent contradition in what he wrote, we have to assume that there was no contradition in the eyes of the author of the passage.

Notice the version of Isaiah 7:14 Matthew quoted:

Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which translated means, "God with us."

Matthew 1:23 NASB

Notice it says

1. A virgin will be with Child

2. They (plural) will call his name Immanuel.

It is not the mother who will call him this, it is a group of people

This seems at first glance to be at odds woth what Isaiah 7:14 says in our OT's

Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.

Isaiah 7:14 NASB

So what would explain the difference in versions? If you read the text critical apparatus in the Hebrew OT a textual variant exists. It is in the codex 1QIsa. It reads "they" because the masoretic pointing (which was added much later) indicated a plural.

So it seems that Matthews application of this passage understood that it would not be His mother that named Him "God with us". It would be the very people whose sins He came to forgive. So it is with all the names in the Isaiah passaged regarding the messiah. These are names that will be given to the coming Messiah by those to whom He ministers. The prophecy was not speaking of what His mother would call Him, but what those to whom He ministered would call him.

They reflected His character as revealed in His actions towards those He came to save

There is a verse in the OT I would like you to take a look at:

For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 NASB

This passage is a prophecy regarding the coming Messiah as well. It seems that in the Bible a name has a deeper connotation than we give it in the west. It speaks of the person's character. Notice many names will be applied to the messiah.

When we read the text in Matthew, we would hope that Matthew would have been smart enough to see an apparent contradicition in what he wrote:

In Matthew 1:25 immediately following your quote it says Joseph named Him Jesus. So If Matthew appeals to the passage in Isaiah and sees no apparent contradition in what he wrote, we have to assume that there was no contradition in the eyes of the author of the passage.

Notice the version of Isaiah 7:14 Matthew quoted:

Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which translated means, "God with us."

Matthew 1:23 NASB

Notice it says

1. A virgin will be with Child

2. They (plural) will call his name Immanuel.

It is not the mother who will call him this, it is a group of people

This seems at first glance to be at odds woth what Isaiah 7:14 says in our OT's

Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.

Isaiah 7:14 NASB

So what would explain the difference in versions? If you read the text critical apparatus in the Hebrew OT a textual variant exists. It is in the codex 1QIsa. It reads "they" because the masoretic pointing (which was added much later) indicated a plural.

So it seems that Matthews application of this passage understood that it would not be His mother that named Him "God with us". It would be the very people whose sins He came to forgive. So it is with all the names in the Isaiah passaged regarding the messiah. These are names that will be given to the coming Messiah by those to whom He ministers. The prophecy was not speaking of what His mother would call Him, but what those to whom He ministered would call him.

They reflected His character as revealed in His actions towards those He came to save

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't want to sound rude, But I don't usually use any other version than the KJV. So many different versions come out now with added stuff in it. If I was a committed believer I would know from the Bible that it is a sin against God to add or take away from the word. I was watching a program the other night on TBN where they added the word homosexual to a scripture in corinthians(sorry I can't remember off hand if it was 1st or second) but it was the one that dealt with the 10 types of people that wont enter the kingdom of heaven. When they read it, there was magically 11 types of people with homosexuals added. It was the program with Kirk Cameron. Oddly enough they were also calling people sinners on the street because they haven't repented for lying.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Much the same way you might be called "skeptical." Unto your parents a child was born and he will be called skeptical... Meaning people will call you that because that's what you will be. (Hopefully not for long! ;) )

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I was trying to say ;) Am I typing in Swahili or something? :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ndiyo, labda.

dada Fiosh

:rolleyes:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/17/1968

The name Jesus was a variant of the name Joshua which is from the Hebrew name Yehoshua which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Skeptic, I think you know who Yahweh is....

GOD HIMSELF! Immanuel means "God is with us". Therefore, it clearly shows that Jesus is God.

Does this help??? Or did I confuse you even more?

Keep seeking Skeptic, and I pray that soon we will be calling you "Believer"