IGNORED

demonic attack or not?

Guest Pyrixeon

Guest linda_t
Hi, I'm new to this board, and I'm still an immature Christian.  I'll get to the point.  Do any of you have these moments during sleep where you're awake but you can't move?  I've heard people say that is the demon pressing you down;  i've heard others say it's just a physical condition when you're tired.  Someone please clarify.

I thought I'd share some information about Pyrixeon's problem.

It's called cataleptic sonambolism or hypnagogic sleep paralysis.

I've had it for many years.

Here is the definition:

"Sleep paralysis is a condition in which someone, most often lying in a supine position, about to drop of to sleep, or just upon waking from sleep realizes that s/he is unable to move, or speak, or cry out. This may last a few seconds or several moments, occasionally longer. People frequently report feeling a "presence" that is often described as malevolent, threatening, or evil. An intense sense of dread and terror is very common. The presence is likely to be vaguely felt or sensed just out of sight but thought to be watching or monitoring, often with intense interest, sometimes standing by, or sitting on, the bed. On some occasions the presence may attack, strangling and exerting crushing pressure on the chest (Hufford, 1982). These various sensory experiences have been referred to collectively as hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences (HHEs). People frequently try, unsuccessfully, to cry out. After seconds or minutes one feels suddenly released from the paralysis, but may be left with a lingering anxiety.

... Aside from many of the very disturbing features of the experience itself (described in succeeding sections) the phenomenon is quite benign. "

As well as the prayers (at the very least, to ease your mind), there are some physical things you can do to help prevent it from happening. There is a good article at the Univeristy of Waterloo on Preventing Sleep Paralysis that may be helpful. It is located at:

http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/prevent.html

The main page, if you want more info on why it is happening is:

http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html

I hope this can be of some help,

Linda

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Thank you Linda for the info and the addresses. You have described the symtoms to a Tee.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

:il: I know the medical field has come up with a medical term for every demonic attack. Jesus did not get out a medical research book to cast out demons, whether they be of infirmity or mental bondage.

They can be cast out today... or medically treated with meds that lead into more bondage and never get to the root of the problem.

I stand on deliverance, especially from the tormenting kind... I have been delivered from anxiety attacks, depression, drug addiction, asthma, and many other forms of demonic bondage. Physically, mentally, and SPIRITUALLY. It requires taking authority over the symptoms and speaking the Word of God every time it trys to exert itself in our lives. God will bring the healing and deliverance.

I have a brother who takes so much medication for anxiety that it has affected his memory. I chose clearing my fears and conscience through the Holy Spirit and keeping my heart in Christ Jesus. I have seen the alternative and it is not freedom. Just another form of bondage...

In Christ, and free, Karen

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Sigmund Freud once said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar," meaning that there need not be a second meaning or explanation for everything. Not all medical conditions are the result of demonic attack or influence. I know this is a popular doctrine among faith healers and word-faithers, but it is not always the case. There are genuine medical conditions that require genuine medical help. If this is the case here, I suggest seeing a doctor.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/10/1970

:il: I know the medical field has come up with a medical term for every demonic attack.  Jesus did not get out a medical research book to cast out demons, whether they be of infirmity or mental bondage.

They can be cast out today... or medically treated with meds that lead into more bondage and never get to the root of the problem.

I stand on deliverance, especially from the tormenting kind... I have been delivered from anxiety attacks, depression, drug addiction, asthma, and many other forms of demonic bondage. Physically, mentally, and SPIRITUALLY. It requires taking authority over the symptoms and speaking the Word of God every time it trys to exert itself in our lives. God will bring the healing and deliverance.

I have a brother who takes so much medication for anxiety that it has affected his memory. I chose clearing my fears and conscience through the Holy Spirit and keeping my heart in Christ Jesus.  I have seen the alternative and it is not freedom. Just another form of bondage...

In Christ, and free, Karen

Karen,

I agree with Godman. In your world view is the devil responsible for everything unfortunate that happens? If so, then your devil is too powerful. Why would anyone want to spend their lives looking for the devil under every stone? Yes, an individual possessed by a demon may have symptoms that overlap with mental illness. But a patient may have a disorder of the brain that has nothing to do with the devil. Remember when the disciples asked Jesus why a particular man was blind. Was it sin, the devil, his parents? Certainly there must be hidden sin, right? Jesus answered that he was blind because God could use his illness to bring glory to Himself. We all will be sick and die. Pray and seek healing we are commanded to do. Some God will heal. Sometimes the miracle is the Grace to walk with Him despite the sickness and death that ensues.

I have thousands of patients who have become free sometimes using prayer, counseling and sometimes medications. I am truly thankful that today we understand the root causes of a lot of sickness. I think we can all groan with Paul for the redemption of our physical bodies.

- Dr. Steve

Journey~I stand that we should expect healing and deliverance.

Our decisions are the root of our problems, listening to the emeny and falling under his covering then the doors have been opened for sickness. when you become a Christian you learn to use your authority over those ailmants the emeny has put upon you because you gave him authority.

No, most all those you medically treat are looking for a bandaid. Most people don't want to talk about *HOW* the ailment came upon them...

Yes... we are under one covering or the other.... no inbetween.

in Him, Karen

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

I agree with God-man and Dr.Steve on this one :laugh:

I started my walk in a word-faith church and just got out of it about 3 months or so ago....I can tell you they had a demon for everything that ailed you...demon of saddness...demon of depression...demon of poor finances...demon of anger...demon of poor health...etc...etc...you name it they said it was a demon attacking you. Now mind you not that I think one couldn't attempt to attack...not saying that at all...but sometimes I think the devil gets too much credit for bad days....or health probs....

I pray and go see my Doctor once a year or more if needed. Not all probs need deliverence prayers....truth is most of the probs I've gotten my self into were my own fault...God gave us free-will....

Love and Blessings

P.S. By the way I have had that happen to me too....but only thing diff is I had a loud rumbleing in my ears....very loud!....It scared me too....at first I thought it was a demonic attack...(I was going to my last church faithfully at this time) But looking back it was a dream just a dream.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Regarding word-faith, I was caught up in this at one time too. Some of you may already know, but I used to work for TBN which I consider the hub of this movement. I won't slam TBN again though. Many of the board knows how I feel about them.

The situation between God and Satan is always black and white. But I think that what most word-faithers do not understand is that the whole demonic thing is a gray area. The Bible does not support the various doctrines of the word-faith movement that medical ailments are caused by demonic influences. In fact, I believe that much of it is superstition unfortunately. Some preachers know this and still use it to further their ministry for whatever reason - you draw whatever conclusion you like. The point being that if believers suddenly realized that not all physical ailments are caused by demons, there would be a sharp drop in business. So they perpetuate the false doctrine.

I'm sorry - I know this cuts to the bone for some of us. But the truth is that we are fallen - death has come in through the fall. We have physical ailments because we have become imperfect. You know, it is no mistake that the first physicians in history were men of faith. God has given us doctors for a reason. It is not a lack of faith that causes us to seek genuine medical help.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Trees and animals get sick too, and die. The cherry trees around here have a black fungus that attacks them, is this demonic or a symptom of the fallen world, the curse that the earth was put under at the fall?

Tongue in cheek here, but I'm a recovering word-faither too, praise God for delivering out of that muck and mire.

I believe there are demonic strongholds, and we are certainly living right in the heart of Satan's kingdom, pilgriming through by faith. The world, the flesh and the devil. My flesh is a pretty tough battle ground, too.

Refugeps91: I'm real interested in your story about what opened your eyes to the WoF errors, I think you are a fairly new believer, how did you get out? You can PM me if you'd like.

:il: To set the record straight I am not of the WoF. Just because I believing in healing and deliverance does not pigeonhole me..

I recieved my deliverance, healing and salvation before I ever even watched a TV evagelist.

My faith is from reality, not on someone elses shirt tail.

Where do you go after you are"set free" from WoF?

There is a balance, but you have to find it yourself...

in Him, Karen