• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/17/1975

I have a question - it might sound really dumb of me -

It is just I am so confused by now that I don't know whom to believe anymore. :(

Is there really something like a gift of discernment and do I truly have it.

I have been told by people that I posess that gift but are not sure.

See the thing is I have been told yes of various reasons. I am able to feel other ppls emotions their trials, pain, hurt etc (not always - just some ppl - not everyone) then I though Ok its maybe because I am over emotional. Then the unforseen happen - this year (the year that I struggled most with my faith) I started feeling what ppl felt just by reading their what they wrote. It was totally weird to me and I thought my mind was playing tricks on me - until one day I met one of these ppl and what I felt was the truth. Then I started to question it to someone and that person claims that I has the aformentioned gift - but its hard to believe that I was given something like it.

Some ppl again say that I am just oversensative to ppls emotions because of my past etc.

Now the real question is - what must I believe? I am so confused by now about spiritual gifts exist or not - the right and the wrong church etc.

AND IF I DO HAVE THIS - WHAT MUST I DO WITH IT - BECAUSE TO BE HONEST - I DONT LIKE IT AT ALL - I HATE THESE FEELINGS I GET

Anyone with advice?

PLS desparately seeking some answers. :(

Estelle

Edited by evs

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

I would say you have it - seems to me that the Lord is developing it in your life. I say this because the same gift of knowledge/discernment has been revealed in my recently and all I have to do is look at someone to know what only they know or feel. For example, the other week I was at this youth outreach thing and there was a girl I had never seen before in my life, and I looked across at her and I just knew in my spirit that she was "wavering on the decision" to follow Christ.

At the end of the night, I saw the girl talking to my friend who is also the youth leader at the church we were in (and leading the outreach), I went over to speak to my friend when she had finished talking and I asked her how the talk went with the girl, and the first thing she said was "It was good, she's wavering on a decision!"

God's mysterious ways, eh?

All I can say is pray on it that God would reveal to you what He intends for you ;)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  193
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/11/1973

My friends and I sometimes call it "Reading your mail." When a minister or someone, just "knows" things about you. When it is real, it is God flowing through someone. I have been used in this way. Something people need to be careful of, is someone just being judgmental and calling it discernment.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  08/02/1957

Gifts of the Spirit are real.

It's hard to explain without sounding arrogant. I see and understand things that others don't. Not only in society, but the bible also.

I've had dreams that came true. Not ordinary events in my life, but things that effected the world around us. It's weird.

Sometimes I am able to physically feel someone elses pain. I don't know if I'm somehow relieving their pain, but I know at times it really hurts.

I don't know....I believe they're real.

;)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Sometimes though we need to be careful of the devil making things seem like they are of God when really it's his attempt to make us fall.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

I believe he allows us the gift of discernment for various reasons.

1. Pray for that person

2. Share it with that person

3. Strongholds that need broken

4. Intercession

These are just a few.

Once we have discerned we need to pray and ask the Lord what he wants us to do with what he has shown us. Don't act in haste. Always allow yourself to be led by the Holy Spirit.

Sometimes I am able to physically feel someone elses pain. I don't know if I'm somehow relieving their pain, but I know at times it really hurts.

Nite OWL - Do you feel it in your heart? That is where I feel it.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  08/02/1957

I believe he allows us the gift of discernment for various reasons.

1. Pray for that person

2. Share it with that person

3. Strongholds that need broken

4. Intercession

These are just a few.

Once we have discerned we need to pray and ask the Lord what he wants us to do with what he has shown us.  Don't act in haste.  Always allow yourself to be led by the Holy Spirit.

Nite OWL - Do you feel it in your heart? That is where I feel it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is going to sound cold, but no, it's actual physical pain.

When my daughter was about six, she slipped on the front step of our home. She was at a dead run when slipped. I saw it happen. As soon as her shin came in contact with the edge of the step, I felt an unspeakable pain shoot through me. As quick as it came it was gone. Jennifer just got up and went into the house without so much as an ow.

I don't know...it's just weird.

Guest iluv2catfish

Yes, I believe you have the gift....I have had discernment (that I have recognized as from the Lord) for at least 10 years. Before then when I wasn't as strong in my faith, I thought I had ESP. But through much prayer, counsel, and seeking the Lord, the Spirit has showed me how to use the gift. I, too, MANY times have asked the Lord to take it away from me, as the pain (physical at times) "seems" too great for me to handle. I can tell you story after story of my experiences, and others have seen it as well. I have found two very troublesome problems that I have yet to come to peace with. #1 Sometimes I have no idea why I know or feel the things I do (many times with total strangers) and what I am supposed to do with this information God has allowed me to know or feel. And #2 how do I seperate my response with what God desires and what I desire...because many times I felt led to do things that are totally against my 'normal' response or 'out of my box'....and many times because of fear I do nothing. Then the Spirit deals with me differently.

I can tell you it has brought me so much closer to the Lord and to the leading of the Spirit...but as I grow in my understanding of the gift, it has also brought me near insanity....but that just pulls me closer to the Lord as well. So I suppose it's a 'win-win' situation...as long as you are truly seeking understanding to serve the Lord, not your own personal will. But the Spirit will lead you in this.

I lean on the scripture, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and on the serenity prayer....God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...courage to change the things I can...and the wisdom to know the difference. Sometimes I think I just know things only to pray. But so much of my understanding has come through years of the Spirit's teachings....and, although this is probably not any comfort....it is all in God's timing, not yours. You may gain total understanding tomorrow, but more than likely, it will be little by little, as He develops you at His pace, not yours. Be patient, be minutely close with the Lord...keep your eyes and ears open at all times and seek the guidance of those that the Lord puts in your path to help you in your understanding and are supportive.

I believe in all the Lord has in store for you...I also believe you must have the character He needs to serve graciously in this manner here on this earth.

BTW...how is Katrina making you feel right now? Just curious....

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/17/1968

Yes, I believe you have the gift....I have had discernment (that I have recognized as from the Lord) for at least 10 years.  Before then when I wasn't as strong in my faith, I thought I had ESP.  But through much prayer, counsel, and seeking the Lord, the Spirit has showed me how to use the gift.  I, too, MANY times have asked the Lord to take it away from me, as the pain (physical at times) "seems" too great for me to handle.  I can tell you story after story of my experiences, and others have seen it as well.  I have found two very troublesome problems that I have yet to come to peace with.  #1 Sometimes I have no idea why I know or feel the things I do (many times with total strangers) and what I am supposed to do with this information God has allowed me to know or feel.  And #2 how do I seperate my response with what God desires and what I desire...because many times I felt led to do things that are totally against my 'normal' response or 'out of my box'....and many times because of fear I do nothing.  Then the Spirit deals with me differently.

I can tell you it has brought me so much closer to the Lord and to the leading of the Spirit...but as I grow in my understanding of the gift, it has also brought me near insanity....but that just pulls me closer to the Lord as well.  So I suppose it's a 'win-win' situation...as long as you are truly seeking understanding to serve the Lord, not your own personal will.  But the Spirit will lead you in this. 

I lean on the scripture, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and on the serenity prayer....God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...courage to change the things I can...and the wisdom to know the difference.  Sometimes I think I just know things only to pray.  But so much of my understanding has come through years of the Spirit's teachings....and, although this is probably not any comfort....it is all in God's timing, not yours.  You may gain total understanding tomorrow, but more than likely, it will be little by little, as He develops you at His pace, not yours.  Be patient, be minutely close with the Lord...keep your eyes and ears open at all times and seek the guidance of those that the Lord puts in your path to help you in your understanding and are supportive. 

I believe in all the Lord has in store for you...I also believe you must have the character He needs to serve graciously in this manner here on this earth. 

BTW...how is Katrina making you feel right now?  Just curious....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey catfisherman,

You made a great point. Spiritual gifts can be given and taken away. Sometimes for reasons you stated but other times the Lord leads in in a different direction. Our church is collecting the members spiritual gifts so that they can lead you to the best ministy that would benefit the church. There is a special survey/test that you take and it lets you know what area you are the strongest. I found out that my spiritual gifts are mercy and giving and it can't get any closer to the truth. I'd give my last dollar to someone in need or to a worthy cause.