• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Is there really something like a gift of discernment and do I truly have it.

1Co 12:10  To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

1Jo 4:1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

Of course, the very best place in all the universe for DISCERNING the will of God is Holy Writ. The WORD of God is the WILL of God! Anything that serves to contradict or even question settled Holy Writ deserves but the waste-basket category.

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for Your Holy Word "once delivered (FOR ALL TIME, Greek) to the saints." Book of Jude.

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

As Arthur mentioned, 'discernment' is developed by gaining a keen sense of knowing the parameters of God's Word. A discerner develops a sense of knowing what is truly of God by whether or not something fits into the framework of The Word of God, His nature, and His purpose. God will not contradict His Word. That which is of God will also bear witness from God.

Its kind of like being a banker. A banker spends so much time handling real money that when a counterfeit bill comes along it stands out like a red flashing light.

A discerner might go through a phase of growth in being a bit judgmental, but latter develop a love and compassion. They become 'solution' minded.

Edited by Salt

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I have a question - it might sound really dumb of me -

It is just I am so confused by now that I don't know whom to believe anymore. :noidea:

I have been told by people that I posess that gift but are not sure.

See the thing is I have been told yes of various reasons.  I am able to feel other ppls emotions their trials, pain, hurt etc (not always - just some ppl - not everyone)  then I though Ok its maybe because I am over emotional.  Then the unforseen happen - this year (the year that I struggled most with my faith) I started feeling what ppl felt just by reading their what they wrote.  It was totally weird to me and I thought my mind was playing tricks on me - until one day I met one of these ppl and what I felt was the truth.  Then I started to question it to someone and that person claims that I has the aformentioned gift - but its hard to believe that I was given something like it.

Some ppl again say that I am just oversensative to ppls emotions because of my past etc.

Now the real question is - what must I believe?  I am so confused by now about spiritual gifts exist or not - the right and the wrong church etc.

AND IF I DO HAVE THIS - WHAT MUST I DO WITH IT - BECAUSE TO BE HONEST  - I DONT LIKE IT AT ALL - I HATE THESE FEELINGS I GET

Anyone with advice?

PLS desparately seeking some answers.  :emot-questioned:

Estelle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The implanted word of God is discernment. If you have the word of God implanted in the matrix of your existence you will know what everyone is doing and why.

Heb 4

12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Jas 1

21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

Denise

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

'Discerning of spirits' is knowing what is of God and what is not, a 'word of knowledge' is where the Lord tells you something about another person. The Holy Spirit is a 'gentleman' whose intent is not to meddle or embarrass though. There may be times when 'tough love' perhaps may apply, such as when a person has willful sin or rebellion.

One must be aware of counterfeits, or should I say 'familiar spirits'.

Edited by Salt

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Yes they excist. :emot-questioned:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

It is just I am so confused by now that I don't know whom to believe anymore. :(

See the thing is I have been told yes of various reasons.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

It is just I am so confused by now that I don't know whom to believe anymore. :(

See the thing is I have been told yes of various reasons.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

See the thing is I have been told yes of various reasons.  I am able to feel other ppls emotions their trials, pain, hurt etc (not always - just some ppl - not everyone)  then I though Ok its maybe because I am over emotional.  Then the unforseen happen - this year (the year that I struggled most with my faith) I started feeling what ppl felt just by reading their what they wrote.  It was totally weird to me and I thought my mind was playing tricks on me - until one day I met one of these ppl and what I felt was the truth.  Then I started to question it to someone and that person claims that I has the aformentioned gift - but its hard to believe that I was given something like it.

Some ppl again say that I am just oversensative to ppls emotions because of my past etc.

Now the real question is - what must I believe?  I am so confused by now about spiritual gifts exist or not - the right and the wrong church etc.

AND IF I DO HAVE THIS - WHAT MUST I DO WITH IT - BECAUSE TO BE HONEST  - I DONT LIKE IT AT ALL - I HATE THESE FEELINGS I GET

Anyone with advice?

PLS desparately seeking some answers.  :(

Estelle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Estelle!

Yes, I believe ALL members of the body of Christ have one or more spiritual gifts.

I don't believe what you describe is the gift of "Discernment" though; which is being able to tell if an action is of God or Satan.

It sounds more like the gift of "Mercy"--being able to "feel someone's pain" and have compassion for them.

I also believe this is my gift; and I also feel that sometimes it may be my imagination. At times, I feel a strong urge to pray for someone, often for a specific reason. Sometimes I can check out whether it was an actual need, sometimes I can't. But I have been able to verify the reality of the "feeling" on a few occasions.

Not to mention, prayer never hurts.

I'm guessing that you also feel a great burden to help those in pain or in distress; and that you obtain a beautiful blessing when you do. I'm guessing nothing brings you greater joy than serving Jesus in those who suffer.

:(

There have been times that I can "feel" the emotional pain of friends or family...even if they are miles away.

My advice is, when it happens, pray for the person whether you are sure or not.

I'm hoping that as I draw closer to the Lord, I'll be able to know His will more clearly.

God bless you,

Fiosh

Guest lvnpeace

Wow it is really neat to hear other talk about this! I know that having the gift of discernment is a very powerful responsibility. And I can relate to what one member said, when they said that they felt crazy! I received this gift almost instantly after I was babtisied, and the LORD use me to speak with a greedy pastor! Whoa, was this ever intense! But, to all of you who have this gift, please listen to our FATHER GOD in HEAVEN because you probley also have the gift of prophesy! It can be very hard and frightening, and could very possible make you the most unpopular person in your town or state for that matter, but remember That our Lord and Brother JESUS CHRIST, and the prophets of old were also unpopular! And a time will come when you can rejoice with the FATHER, the SON and the Saints. so stand firm, submit to his will and do his work, and lets bring forth the NEW Jerusalem !!!!!

Your sister in christ,

Angie