• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Glen Campbell sings "Me and Jesus", which I like, too. He was always one of my favorite singers, and is now a Christian.

What's wrong with appreciating a beautiful voice?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/12/1990

I happen to love listening to Elvis singing spiritual songs. He had a beautiful voice.

Ooops you'll be in trouble now kat! :rolleyes:

"its not religiosity"...............yes I'm afraid it is.

You can refuse to take my statements for what they are and tailor them to what you want them to be, I meant what I said and I understand where you are coming from, I am aware that we are all different kinds of people so may god be with you.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Just as a matter of curiosity, Kate8585, is Glenn Campbell really a christian. I have always given him the benefit of the doubt, because I like his style. Has he ever publically given a testimony, or has it just been taken for granted. I heard him singing "in the garden" a couple of times and that song really get's to me. Thanks,

eric.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

and i also ask you WHY ARE YOU LISTENING TO WORLDLY MUSIC?

And I ask you, "WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?"

Having an appreciation for song, melody, and especially the profundity of heartfelt lyrics such as these, is not at all "worldly."

If we can take pagan observations like the winter and Spring solstices and make them our own we can certainly take a song such as this (written by a Christian man, by the way) and make it our own.

"Find Christ in all things, for he is the reality of all positive things."

Im sorry for shouting please forgive me if you were offended by my "shouting" but my point is if something is not of gods temple we should leave it alone, the man might be christian but that is not all he stands for, and we do not make anything our own or try to make it gods. if it is gods it will be of or about his glory and getting into heaven not about worldly things. AND I am sorry that appreciating that music is worldly not in quotations because I mean it and will not make a mockery of the fathers will.

What is "of God's temple" then?

In the OT temple there was the laver, the altar, the showbread table, the menorah, the incense, and the ark of the covenant. Are you saying that we need only these things?

You wrote that Stevie Wonder "may be Christian but that's not all he stands for." Well then, what does he stand for? What do you stand for?

I would say that if you're judging the man without knowing him, without knowing what he truly believes, then you are really no different than the unbeliever who refuses to listen to the gospel and then judges that "Christians always..." or "Christians believe..."

Do you have the capacity to see Christ as the reality of all things?

Have you ever thought about that?

Have you ever sat in a chair and prayed, "Lord, thank you that you are my real rest and satisfaction. Right now this chair supports my mortal frame, but Lord, You alone support my soul. Thank you Lord for being my real chair."?

Have you ever walked up a flight of stairs and prayed, "Lord, right now I'm ascending these stairs. But Lord you are the real ladder who joins the earth to the heavens and brings the heavens to the earth. Thank you Lord that you came down out of the heavenlies to become the ladder upon which I can ascend to the heavens. Thank you Lord that You are my real stairs."

When I wrote the original post starting this thread I was in a very discouraging place in my life. Pressure and stress from work and from home, situations going on in my personally, spiritually, I was fighting a real battle. I remember that discussions on Worthy were very political, and there was division every day on the boards. It was very discouraging for me as well as for many of our regular posters here.

Then I began to pray. I prayed over the situations I was facing. I began to ask myself "Ovedya" where are you? Then this song came to mind, and I struggled to find something that I could pray from it - I struggled to find Christ in it. But guess what happened? After a long time I did find Christ in this song.

The point is, it doesn't matter what the medium is - whether song, picture, painting, or some other media, even something as simple and mundane as a chair - we as believers always have a choice: We can view Christ or we can view what is just there.

I understand that your desire is to keep yourself pure, and that's just fine. In fact, that's great. But I believe that most of the world lives in a realm - by force - which is without God entirely. And we as believers are God's expression to the world - we are Christ to a Christless world. Therefore, we must view Him whenever and wherever we have the opportunity.

It was good enough for Paul, and it's good enough for me.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

That is sometimes wrong with some christians...they are to comfortable in the pews, in the inner courts that they cannot come out to the outter courts and beyond. Jesus came for sinners..ate with them..preached to them Sandi Patti is a beautiful christian. We may see her singing with the temple singers before some who believe they are in the inner courts!!! This was the problem with the scribes and pharisee thats why I call it religiousness.

Please do not take offense..this is intended for everyone including myself.

You are the Temple.

so If a unsaved artist sings a song about Jesus, You don't think the father would enjoy it?

Here's a shocker for ya. I love Freddie Mercury's voice (of Queen). I listen to them just so I can hear his beautiful voice.

I love queen as well. Lol

Jethro tull---especially songs of the woods. I denied myself these pleasures for a very Long time because I was told they were worldly until a few years ago. ( and evil)

Can you imagine going without freddie for almost 29 yrs!!!???

I missed his genious. I also like rennasiance. Now if some christians can stop rapping....lol

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I love queen as well. Lol

Jethro tull---especially songs of the woods. I denied myself these pleasures for a very Long time because I was told they were worldly until a few years ago. ( and evil)

Can you imagine going without freddie for almost 29 yrs!!!???

I missed his genious. I also like rennasiance. Now if some christians can stop rapping....lol

I'm a HUGE Tull fan.

tull seems very popular with christians. I love music that does not soud like anybody elses. My emily loves queen as well , the nutcracker.

You know what gave me the woolies and I was a kid and I still cannot listen to it...oh oh senile moment it just left my mind..okay its back....the sorcerers apprentice!! Scarey as clowns...

Just as a matter of curiosity, Kate8585, is Glenn Campbell really a christian. I have always given him the benefit of the doubt, because I like his style. Has he ever publically given a testimony, or has it just been taken for granted. I heard him singing "in the garden" a couple of times and that song really get's to me. Thanks,

eric.

That's what I've heard. He supposedly cleaned up his act and it seemed realistic.