rainbowAlice

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Someone asked me "It says in the Bible that when you ask for something God will give it to you. I asked and I did not receive." Does this mean that the Bible is wrong? I told her tht I did not have any insight to share at that time on the matter but that I would meditate and share what I found.

Well, it has been sometime but about a week ago I felt like I had a revelation. The verse is John 14:12-14. And I quote: "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father and I will do whatever you ask in my name so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask anything in my name, and I will do it."  

Well, let's look at an example: You are telling someone how to unlock and open the door. You tell them how to unlock the lock and you tell them how to use the handle and lastly you tell them not to pull back too fast because the door may catch on the carpet. Then as an aside you say, "Yea, don't forget about the carpet." You did not explain the whole process again, just a brief aside.

Same as the Bible verse. The last line is just a summary. The details have already been described. It is a commonly misquoted and misunderstood, I believe, and taken out of context sentenance. The statement of, "You may ask anything in my name, and I will do it", I believe is just an aside/summary.

Please share input.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

God is not a Genie. He will give to us according to His will in our lives and the plan He has for us.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

There are two things to consider here

1. He is talking about doing miracles and helping others

This is not about getting things

2. What does it mean to "Ask In His Name"?  it means to ask in the authority and will of God.   And where do we find the authority and will of God. The Bible...so what things are in the bible....healing, miracles, words of prophecy, et al. As well as  "Our Daily Bread" grace, mercy strength

That New Mercedes EV is not in the bible....so probably not going to find away to Ask for that in His name

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

That’s where I’ve always struggled, because he only answers prayers that are apart of his will, so for years I’ve had a difficult time asking him things of him.  When you don’t ask him for what you want, people say you don’t have any faith, but he’s only going to grant your request if he chooses to.  It’s really confusing.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  9.65
  • Days Won:  149

It has been said  prayer is really us acquiescing to God's will, not a  Santa list. " Thy kingdom come THY WILL be done"

The bible also says this- Psalms 37:4

Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,340
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

7 hours ago, TreeFivew said:

That’s where I’ve always struggled, because he only answers prayers that are apart of his will, so for years I’ve had a difficult time asking him things of him.  When you don’t ask him for what you want, people say you don’t have any faith, but he’s only going to grant your request if he chooses to.  It’s really confusing.

Ask the Lord for wisdom, and He shall give it you. You will find yourself called upon to render judgement.

Ask the Lord for patience and you will be tested by the trial. The fruit of that trial will be the patience you asked for.

Ask the Lord for the strength to endure, and you will be refined by the fire. You will suffer.

Ask the Lord, "Tell me what it is You would have me do," and you will see your neighbor in need. The Lord has shown you what it is He would have you do: look after their need.

We read in the scriptures that when we ask according to His will, the Lord hears and is pleased to grant our petition. This is true. I hope the examples above are helpful, my friend. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

Ask the Lord for wisdom, and He shall give it you. You will find yourself called upon to render judgement.

Ask the Lord for patience and you will be tested by the trial. The fruit of that trial will be the patience you asked for.

Ask the Lord for the strength to endure, and you will be refined by the fire. You will suffer.

Ask the Lord, "Tell me what it is You would have me do," and you will see your neighbor in need. The Lord has shown you what it is He would have you do: look after their need.

We read in the scriptures that when we ask according to His will, the Lord hears and is pleased to grant our petition. This is true. I hope the examples above are helpful, my friend. :)

I’ve asked his will about different things for years; to no avail.  I don’t believe I’ve ever asked for wisdom.  I’m not sure.  I not going to lie.  I do think David asked for wisdom, and behind hearing about the story, I was probably inspired to ask for wisdom at some point in my life.  Basically, his will has always been hard for me to figure out.  He’ll answer you if you ask for what he wants. It’s like a catch-twenty two.

4 minutes ago, TreeFivew said:

I’ve asked his will about different things for years; to no avail.  I don’t believe I’ve ever asked for wisdom.  I’m not sure.  I not going to lie.  I do think David asked for wisdom, and behind hearing about the story, I was probably inspired to ask for wisdom at some point in my life.  Basically, his will has always been hard for me to figure out.  He’ll answer you if you ask for what he wants. It’s like a catch-twenty two.

Solomon asked for wisdom.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  9.65
  • Days Won:  149

1 minute ago, TreeFivew said:

Solomon asked for wisdom

The Bible tells us God have Solomon both wisdom and wealth. He let his foreign wives pull him away from God. Toward the end of his life he did not make use of his wisdom.

29 minutes ago, Starise said:

The Bible tells us God have Solomon both wisdom and wealth. He let his foreign wives pull him away from God. Toward the end of his life he did not make use of his wisdom.

Yes...thx David sounded funny.  I looked it up, and Solomon made sense after the fact.

• Thumbs Up 1