IGNORED

APS had to come over to "activate" something for the neighbor's solar. Which begs me to ask. How is it, "solar.". .

believeinHim

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

APS, {Auxiliary Power Supply} had to come over to "activate" something for the neighbor's solar. Which begs me to ask. How is it, "solar,",. ...................................

Edited by believeinHim

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

25 minutes ago, believeinHim said:

APS, {Auxiliary Power Supply} had to come over to "activate" something for the neighbor's solar. Which begs me to ask. How is it, "solar,",. ...................................

If aps is arizona public service, a prominent power company within arizona, then the reason they had to activate something is because your neighbor is still hooked up to the company. In arizona, folks with rooftop solar remain hooked up to aps or srp in order to sell back their solar or to continue to have extra power from them at times. Rooftop solar cannot supply enough power to run air conditioners in 115 degree heat that is typical of phoenix in the summer. 

Personally,  I do not think solar power for individual homes is that great. There are hidden costs to it that the folks who sell solar power do not tell you. For instance, if you ever need work done on your roof (and in arizona, that is fairly often since the sun is hard on roofs), you cannot have it done until you remove all solar panels. To have them removed and replaced costs over 5000 dollars. Also the utilities require you to pay a hook up fee. Last time I checked it was 90 dollars per month. And you still need that hookup if you hope to have air conditioning in the summer. 

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

The solar panel does not replace the power to the home. The solar system produces power and has a meter that records the production. That is paid at an approved rate by APS. (determined by the state utility commission)  At the same time, the home is powered by APS and the electric use is billed like everyone else around the home. The only difference is the structure of the bill which has bought power and paid for power calculated. You pay (or get paid for) the difference. 

APS is Arizona Pubic Service. 

There are no grid homes out there. There is a large lava field where cable cannot be run and power poles cannot be installed. Those homes run off grid including the delivery of water to tanks outside the residence. A lot of solar and generators using gas and diesel.